Rumors

Below The Birch Trees

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: IF ANYONE IS FINDING THE POWERS CONFUSING, PLEASE READ THE FORWARD + DESCRIPTION. 

 

 

Jimin could feel his body jolt against a hard surface, but his mind was somewhere between reality and the future. His physical body was asleep, but his mind had been racing with new information from the moment he'd been captured. With the power of precognition came visions that had him struggling to fight against the slumber he'd been forced into, so the weak boy was left shivering and screaming to wake up. Visions of the future came slamming into him like billions of rocks being thrown against his body, all of them showing him mental pictures of people he'd never seen before, all fighting for something he wasn't sure about. There was fire everywhere, with people screaming all around him but Jimin was immobile. Stuck within his own mind, mentally thrashing to escape from the torturous slumber.

 

Every vision that came left Jimin more and more exhausted, his heart pounding and mind racing as he fought to catch his breath. His toes and fingers tingled, limbs heavy with sleep but no matter how much he fought against his own mind he couldn't escape the comatose state he fell into. He was stuck within his own brain, unable to wake up even when he was aware of anything and everything around him. He knew it was because the visions kept coming, or else he would be completely unconscious. At that exact moment, he hated his power the most. If he couldn't wake up, he at least wanted to sleep. 

 

Jimin tried with all his might to scream, feeling sweat bead at his forehead with each second that passed. If he could only get his physical body to move, he could pull out of the state in which he was captured in and figure out what the visions meant, and what the future held. 

 

He was scared. 

 

Jimin wanted nothing more than to wake up. 

 

○◘○◘○◘○ 

 

Word of the chaos within Birch Village spread like wildfire within Jeongguk's school filled with seven thousand students varying in age and powers. Taehyung couldn't keep a secret even if his life depended on it, and soon enough everyone was speaking about it with hushed voices, passing notes with words of accusations to friends, even teachers spoke softly about the dangers of the authorities nowadays. Jeongguk wanted to punch Taehyung and scold him for opening his mouth but knew better than to get mad at him; there wasn't anyway to reverse what he'd done, so it was no use getting angry at him for it. 

 

Instead, Jeongguk chose to ignore the arising rumors constantly floating around him and focus on eating his lunch in peace instead, the headache from earlier slowly creeping it's way back to his brain. He chewed at the sandwich Taehyung had given to him thoughtfully, listening in to the conversation his friends were having all around him. The group of four sat against the seats of their assigned table toward the back of the cafeteria, with Taehyung by Jeongguk's side while Hoseok sat next to Yoongi, another friend of theirs who they'd all known for years. Yoongi had the power of invulnerability to physical and mental damage, almost like superman but much less sociable who hardly let emotion show. He was disinterested in many things, not because he was heartless but mainly because he hard a hard time controlling his power. He didn't exactly know when to switch off the imaginary power button in his brain; he'd been raised like that, and never knew any better. But as of the moment when he picked at the food on his lunch tray, his entire body perked up at the small chitchat of rumors floating around. 

 

Hoseok shook his head sadly as a few students rushed by them, all of them quietly speaking of Birch Village, his hands folding against his lap as he peeked up at Taehyung from across the table. “It's a shame,” he said softly. “It must be humiliating for the survivors of Birch Village. All these rumors spreading false information, it's really a shame.” 

 

Taehyung looked guilty but didn't say much in the matter, instead lowering his head and slipping a rather clammy hand into Jeongguk's from under the table. He massaged his thumb into the younger's knuckles for a moment as if to apologize secretly, staying as silent and small as possible as though he didn't want to face the consequences of his actions. Jeongguk felt badly for him, and couldn't resist the urge to lean forward and steal a peck on the elder's lips for reassurance. 

 

“Don't feel bad,” the youngest breathed in his ear. “What's done is done.” 

 

Turning back to the other two boys across the table, he allowed himself to listen in on the chatter loudly spiraling around him in curious wonder as to what people had to say. Some underclassmen blamed the riots but most spoke of the terrifying authorities in which Hoseok had said caused the fire in the first place. Word of dead bodies being found was what made Jeongguk feel uncomfortable; all of them were burned and unrecognizable leaving many families to wonder what happened to their beloved ones. 

 

Yoongi sighed softly and dipped a soggy french fry into a small, white cup of ketchup before popping it in his mouth. All emotion from his face was unreadable save for the small spark of interest held deeply within his dark eyes. “Why do you think the Authorities set fire to the village? Last I heard, Birch Village was a peaceful place compared to the City.” 

 

Jeongguk would never get used to the monotone, emotionless voice of Min Yoongi, deep in tone but otherwise bland. “Birch Village is known for holding powerful people, but most of them are elderly.” The youngest boy set his sandwich down and leaned into Taehyung's side, fingers tightening around the former's in thought. “Maybe the Authorities felt threatened.” 

 

Hoseok shook his head and pushed his full tray of food away from him. “That sounds like a reasonable suggestion, Kookie. But...why? Why would they feel threatened? Nobody from Birch Village has ever made an ill move toward the Authorities or the City. It just...doesn't make sense.”

 

“Maybe they heard of a power that was like...really, super special or something,” Taehyung said suddenly, face animated as he explained. “You know, like in the movies? The Chosen One? Maybe they felt threatened because of that!” 

 

Jeongguk sighed, trying to hide the smile creeping against his lips. He leaned in again, reaching up with his hand to capture the elder's chin, looking at him disapprovingly. “Don't be silly. The only 'Chosen One' is the leader of the Authorities, and he has the power to breathe under water,” he deadpanned. Before Taehyung could pout further, Jeongguk leaned in to take another kiss away, that time murmuring a small 'I love you' against his lips so the elder didn't feel as embarrassed. 

 

Yoongi grunted softly and shoved another fry into is mouth, eyes bored and expressionless. “God, what's the deal with you two displaying your affection for one another?” He straightened his spine with a glare of his eyes. “I don't get it.” 

 

Taehyung was pouting again, arms folding across his chest defensively. “It's not my fault you don't understand what love feels like, you jerk.” 

 

“I know perfectly well what love feels like, .” Yoongi stood and grabbed his tray to dump the food into the trashcan. “Just because I can't feel emotion automatically doesn't mean I don't know what they are.” 

 

Yoongi was gone before anyone could intervene, and Hoseok gave Taehyung yet another disapproving look, eyes glaring holes into the sensitive boy. “Hey,” he warned. “Yoongi has a hard time dealing with his power, so he can't always control his emotions. Don't be so hard on him, alright?” 

 

Jeongguk nodded before Taehyung had a chance to and stood, dragging the elder boy by the elbow so another conflict wouldn't arise. “Let's all meet up after inspection tonight. We can talk more then and try to find out what's going on.” 

 

○◘○◘○◘○

 

Jimin awoke just a few moments before a strange man dressed in a crisp black suit strode into the room he was encased in. With a soft grunt, he pushed himself into a seated position against the steel table bolted to a white wall. With a pounding head and slow beating heart, he tried to use his numb legs but fell against the tiled floor instead, crying out with a new found pain to his hip. The door creaked open, and with that came a tall stranger wearing a dark suit, holding a manilla envelope in his pale, bony fingers. His face was expressionless, but scary enough to have Jimin stilled with fear. 

 

The man sighed, shaking his head as he tossed the manilla envelope against the floor where Jimin sat, shivering, and crossed his arms over his chest. Dark blond hair whisked in front of his eyes to shield away the emotion held there, lips pulled in a tight line of disapproval as he watched the young boy reach for the envelope and pull out the papers inside. 

 

“Park Jimin. Nineteen years of age. Contains the power of precognition.” The man went through the facts in a monotone voice as Jimin read through the papers which held the same words being spoken. “Does not have a current occupation. Never attended school.” 

 

Jimin swallowed hard, lifting his gaze away from the papers to look at the man towering above him. “Where did you get this information,” he asked, voice hoarse from misuse. 

 

The man smirked, showing the only sign of emotion since the moment he had arrived. “Silly boy,” he chuckled, but his face remained blank otherwise. “Everyone gets a chip holding information from the moment they are born. Are you stupid, or has nobody told you this?” 

 

Jimin moaned, reaching up to grip at his hair, willing away the pain spiraling in his head. He remembered his grandfather telling him about the chip implanted in his brain the same day he was born, enabling the Authorities to track down all the basic information an individual carries. They'd been chipping humans for decades now. 

 

“Park Jimin, it states that you've received a form of education from your late grandfather, is this correct?”

 

Jimin paused for a moment, eyes wide with all innocents lost in them as he looked up at the man above him. It was as if his stomach was suddenly made of lead and dropped to his feet, making everything around him spin until he felt like he would vomit. “Late grandfather?” he stuttered out softly. “Wh—What do you mean?” 

 

The man sighed, throwing his head back in disgust, a deep sound of irritation seeping from the back of his throat. “Do you not understand the term, you scoundrel? It means your grandfather is dead. Must I spell it out for you?”

 

Jimin felt like he was drowning, like a part of his soul had been ripped from his very spirit. Just hours before the fire in his village, he'd been sitting down to a nice lunch with his grandfather, talking about anything and nothing at all. 

 

He must have died in the fires.

 

Jimin couldn't help but thrash around, hands ripping at the papers given to him, cries seeping from his throat. “You monster!” He cried up at the man standing motionlessly. “No!” 

 


 

Blehh~ 

I have nothing else to add lol.