Set Fire

Below The Birch Trees

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The village was ablaze, orange tongues of flame at homes and buildings, sending the townspeople into widespread panic. Screams from those stuck within smoldering houses echoed against the snow covered mountains, a lullaby to those who stood just by the untouched trees on the outskirts of the place. Jimin saw them as he stood within the chaos of running and crying people, skin burnt pink against his arms and left cheek, not enough to scar but just enough to sting painfully with the smoke blowing against him. He squinted his eyes, trembling hand coming up to shield them from the sharp glow of the fires surrounding him, stomach dropping at the clear sight of black suits and crisp silk ties, all of them grinning darkly at the sight they had created. 

 

Jimin called out weakly, feeling the tears well within his eyes, finger pointed to the people hiding within the birch trees. “You!” His voice was hoarse from the billowing black smoke, eyes burning from the heat radiating off of the burning homes. “Someone....Stop them.” He took a step forward, knees giving out underneath him, sending his burnt body to the ashy pavement. Stinging cheek met a heated walkway, and the pain was enough to leave him breathless. A soft sob escaped his lungs, fingers still reaching out to the hiding, suited men within the distance. “Please!” 

 

People ran haphazardly around him, carrying small children and animals, some tripping against shards of burnt asphalt and wood. Jimin groaned, feeling a few booted feet kicking him as they moved, planting dark bruises against his skin. He whimpered, eyes hooded as he blinked into the pavement, arms weak and lungs weaker. He couldn't breathe, the smoke from burning buildings closing up his throat and the lack of oxygen made his vision swim. 

 

There was a horrifying moment when a tall man in a suit appeared above him, fingers clasping over Jimin's wrist tightly, a set of laser handcuffs burned deeply within his skin, until he could feel blood seeping down his arms. He screamed out gently, unable to create anything like a loud noise because his lungs constricted with each breath he took. 

 

“Stop,” Jimin groaned, struggling against the cuffs. “Please, stop this!” 

 

There was something hard that hit the side of his skull and the vision he had left escaped him, leaving him in darkness, within a comatose state that he couldn't pull away from.  

 

  
○◘○◘○◘○

 

 

Jeongguk's brain hurt today. Not just a dull ache as usual, but a sharp pain that stabbed at his skull until his eyes became hazy and his legs wobbled with uncertainty. This happened frequently, especially within the last two years so he guessed it was from the amount of knowledge he contained. 

 

Jeongguk was a genius. Literal term, he knew anything and everything, from every language down to the most arduous mathematics. From the moment he was born, he could pronounce even the longest words, perform intricate movements and read before the age of one, unlike other children who struggled to even walk at that age. The first of his generation, and still to the exact moment he was alive, he was the only living being to contain such a power. During the war over seventy years ago, there used to live an entire colony of people who contained the knowledge Jeongguk did, but all of them had been killed off and so far he was the only one of his kind. 

 

The new generation's nerd, as others liked to put it. 

 

Jeongguk shoved two pain pills in his mouth and chased them down with a cold glass water, the perspiration from the cup sliding down his wrists, at his skin until he reached up with nimble fingers to wipe it off. Hopefully the medicine would ease the pain just enough to get through a day of school, what with all the protesting students and loud ringing bells. And it wasn't like he ever needed to go; he knew everything, had more knowledge than any of the professors combined, but he found a sick type of pleasure in flaunting his ability, even if others made fun of him for it. He gained much needed confidence when ever he finished a test with great ease while his peers struggled on just the first question. 

 

With a sigh, he adjusted his uniform while looking at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. Fingers smoothed out the wrinkles in his blazer, eyes studying his face to make sure no blemishes were seen. He had an image to keep; the perfect student, wonderful boyfriend, superior son. 

 

His mother and father were eating toast and eggs at the breakfast table, both silent as Jeongguk hurriedly skipped down the steps. He grabbed another glass of water to drink before he left, acknowledging his parents with a nod of his head. His father folded the morning paper against the table and looked up at him, eyebrow raised in question, a soft look against his face. 

 

“Son, please remember that inspection is tonight at five.” The older man's tone was gentle but stern, enough to get Jeongguk's full attention. “Don't be late, you know the consequences.” 

 

Jeongguk chuckled softly, reaching over to pat his mother on the shoulder as he stared into his father's tired eyes. He must not have slept the night before, what with all the editing he'd been doing. As a writer, Jeongguk had grown up with his dad's sleep deprivation a constant reminder of his job. “I remember, dad.” He paused, a small smile teasing at his lips. “I know everything, right?” 

 

His father smiled, the wrinkles of his eyes deepening with the gesture. “Have a good day at school son. Give your mother a kiss goodbye.” 

 

Jeongguk's mother didn't speak; she'd grown up as a mute since birth for reasons unknown to any doctor. Jeongguk understood the medical aspects of being mute, and possibly the reasons for mental damage. But one thing he didn't have much experience in was his mother's own thoughts. Because she never spoke, she talked through gestures, which were always delicate and careful. It made the young boy's brain pulse with pain at the thought of not knowing, but he pushed it aside so he could say goodbye to her. 

 

He leaned forward and pecked her on the cheek, hand squeezing her shoulder lovingly as he pulled back to study her face. She smiled, the motherly look on her face enough to calm the pain within his head. “Have a good day, mom. You too dad.” He straightened his back and moved toward the hooks on the far wall across the room to grab his backpack, slinging one strap over his shoulder. “See you both after school.” 

 

~*~

 

Taehyung met him in the cafeteria, a small grin on his face as he leaned in to peck him on the lips. “Hi baby,” he said with a knowing smirk against his lips. “You'll never believe what happened last night.” 

 

Jeongguk slipped his backpack off his shoulder and set it against the cafe table before sinking down into one of the rounded seats, ears ready to hear what ever Taehyung had to say. It always seemed like the elder kid had plenty of crazy stories to share. “What happened? It's probably something I've already learned about, you know.” 

 

Taehyung simpered and rubbed his hands together, sitting on the stool next to him, leaning in close so that his head was just a few inches away from the youngers. “The authorities set fire to Birch Village last night. Tons of people died, including their leader.” The older boy at his lips and leaned back against the wood of the table, fingers coming up to ruffle at his own hair. 

 

Jeongguk felt his own mind absorb the new information, and with that came a sharp pain that pinched at his temple. He cringed and reached up with a stiff hand to grip at his hair, willing the pain to go away before Taehyung became concerned. “Who told you that?” Jeongguk flicked his eyes up to glare at his boyfriend, an eyebrow raised as he reached up to pinch at his cheek. “Did you decide to start a rumor again? Don't you remember what happened last time?” 

 

Taehyung nipped at his fingertips with a giggle before controlling his laughter enough to speak again. “No! It's true, believe me. Hoseok told me just ten minutes before you got here! He said he sensed it yesterday afternoon. Said it was at Birch Village, and you know Hoseok doesn't lie when it comes to his power.” 

 

Jeongguk nodded; closing his eyes to soak up the small piece of information that was given to him. He thought back to Hoseok, a friend of his that he'd known for many years now. Hoseok had the power to sense danger from thousands of miles away, the closer the problem was the easier it was for him to know exactly where it was headed. He didn't have visions, but felt it deep within his brain, something that alerted him with even the smallest of troubles. If there was danger, he knew about it, but usually Jeongguk was the first to know. It was unlike Hoseok to skip out on telling him; Taehyung was never known to keep a secret when told one, so it was confusing at first. 

 

Taehyung sighed and leaned forward to smooth away the crinkle of skin against Jeongguk's forehead before stealing a kiss. “Don't worry so much, Kookie. Hoseok told me because I forced it out of him.” He paused, wrapping a lanky arm around the younger boy's shoulders. “Now lets get to our first class before everyone takes all the good seats.” 

 

 


 

Hi everyone! ....WELP, once again I've started another story before I finished one... 

But I've had this idea in my head for awhile...So..yeah. 

And don't worry, everything will be explained next chapter, and you'll learn more about these 'powers'. 

So..yeah. First chapter is short, as always. But enjoy~