003

That Particular Promise

What’s this? An update!? *GASP*


 

I was thankful my birthday fell on a Saturday, the first reason being I could celebrate it with my friends without worrying about homework deadlines the next day, and the second reason being I didn't have to see Kyungsoo because the students were not required to report at the company on weekends. Or at least I thought I would be able to fulfil the latter.

I received an urgent text from Kris while I was typing away my report for the recent assignment on my laptop, with said message stating that I needed to stop by the company to pick up an extra information booklet from him. It was strange, considering it was supposed to be our day off as students and that I received the notice directly from Kris rather than from my professors. I would’ve double-checked with another student, but then I realised I was close with none of them, so I didn't have their contact numbers. Note to self: make sure to collect at least five other students’ contact details.

Despite my doubts, I went over to Do-Be, arriving at the building about forty-five minutes after Kris’ text came in. I was half-expecting Kyungsoo to wait for me at the entrance like the other days, and I was somewhat disappointed when I didn't see him there. Sometimes I just wanted to forget about how we didn't work out in the past and get back together with him like nothing ever happened, but my devilish side managed to convince me to continue teasing him by rejecting all of his advances. Ugh, I was such an angst-y teenager.

I made my way to the seventeenth storey –where all the important people were- and turned to the waiting room outside Kyungsoo’s office. I scanned the area before taking a tentative step inside, satisfied when I found out that the Assistant CEO wasn't anywhere near the place.

“So Kris, where’s that booklet you were talking about?”

He didn't reply to my question, instead he burst out in laughter. “I didn't say anything about a booklet.” Kris flashed a sly smile while his irises darted towards Kyungsoo, who vaporised out of nowhere, now two metres away from us.

“You tricked me!” I exclaimed, infuriated by the fact that I was fooled by one of my closest friends.

“If he didn't, I wouldn't have been able to call you out.” Kyungsoo folded his arms as he leant against the wall.

“I have nothing to say to you.”

“But I do. Can we take this inside?”

“Even if you do, I’ll still be able to hear it.” Kris said matter-of-factly.

“I don't care!” Both of us turned to him fiercely and exclaimed at the same time.

“Whoa relax, it’s not like I’m burning your house down or anything.” He muttered the last part while shrugging before pretending to type away on his keyboard. However, his eyes were fixed on me as I reluctantly entered Kyungsoo’s office. I shot him a glare right before disappearing behind the door, but he only returned a sheepish grin.

“It’s your birthday today, right?” Kyungsoo’s slender finger reached forward to tenderly the side of my cheek, causing me to flinch and retreat a step back. I wouldn't have done that if we were still dating but I remembered that I was still supposed to be holding a grudge against him.

“So you remember.” I folded my arms, trying to suppress the smile that was trying to crawl up to my face. Instead, I gave an unamused expression.

“Of course I do.”

“If you have nothing else to say, I’m going to leave.” I had to stop myself from chuckling when I caught sight of his flustered expression. “I’m leaving.” I said when nothing came out of his mouth.

“Wait,” he grabbed on to my hand, preventing me from taking another step, “I have something for you.” Pulling out a small box from one of the drawers, he dropped it in my hands before giving it a pat. “Figured I should get a present for you.”

“Y-You got me a present?” I faltered, but regained my composure quick enough. “Thanks then.”

“You’re accepting it?” He sounded surprised.

“I may not have forgiven you, but I never turn down a gift. It is, after all, a good intention of the heart.” Ugh that sounded so cheesy and unnecessary. Why couldn't I have just told him that I would accept his gift no matter what he gave me? “Despite that, you’re still not forgiven for not coming back for me.” I quickly added.

There was an awkward moment of silence before I started to speak again.

“Uh thanks by the way. I’ll be going now.” I rushed out of the office after tucking the box into my bag, but I only managed to crash into the door that was supposed to lead me out. Needless to say, Kyungsoo started laughing. My face grew red in embarrassment as I fumbled with the door handle. It didn't help that Kris commented “good job there” when I sped past his desk.

As I made my way out of the building, a certain memory from over a year ago surfaced in my mind.

“Look at all those bracelets, I don't fancy them. The only exception is that swan bracelet over there.” I gazed at the accessory longingly from outside the jewellery shop.

“Why the swan though?”

“Because I was an ugly duckling once, so I guess I can relate to them. But I’m not saying that I’m a swan or anything, just that I turned out better than I once was.”

“Then shouldn't you be more attracted to ducks?”

“You totally just ruined the moment.”

“I did? Oops…” He flashed an embarrassed smile. “How about I get it for your next birthday?”

Silly, we never lasted until my next birthday.

 

 

I decided to just head back home and freshen up before going to the birthday party my friends planned for me. Delicately opening the box containing Kyungsoo’s gift, I admired the bracelet as I imagined how happily in love we could have been if he didn’t have to leave. Sighing loudly at the cruel reality I was stuck in, I casually laid the jewellery down on my nightstand. I picked out a fresh set of clothes to change into after showering before trudging to the bathroom so conveniently situated outside my room.

After my relaxing shower, I returned to my room, realising that my door was slightly ajar. I carefully pushed the door open to find Hwajae snooping around my stuff.

“Oh? I’ve never seen this around…” She mumbled to herself as she picked up the accessory off my nightstand I left lying around just a while ago.

“What are you doing?”

“Ah!” She dropped the bracelet in a shock when she heard my voice. “Sorry for intruding…”

“Nah it’s okay, we have nothing to hide from each other.”

“This is nice by the way.” Hwajae flashed the swan bracelet, studying its details. “Where did you get it?”

“It was a gift.”

“By who?” She raised one of her brows suggestively as her lips quirked into a smirk. “Someone from your classes?”

“Huh I wish.”

“So who was it? Tell me, tell me, tell-”

“It was Kyungsoo, now stop.” I snapped, my answer coming off a tad too aggressive.

“Oh.” Was all she said before she laid the accessory back into its casing and quietly left the room. It didn't take long for the ping of my phone to signal that I had received a new message from the chat group.

“Hey guys,” I read aloud, “Kyungsoo got a gift for Jihyun! #Squishycookies!” Her second message of “sorry, not sorry” was sent just seconds after the first one.

“HWAJAE!!” I screamed. “I’m never telling you anything again!”

 

 

“Is everyone here?” Ji ae scanned the cafe, counting the number of people who were present in her mind, a satisfied smile spreading across her face when she was done. “Shall we start the celebration?”

“Yeah, why not.” Hwajae chimed, stuffing a macaroon into .

I looked at the entrance, disappointed that Ji ae announced that everyone was already present. That meant that they didn't invite Kyungsoo secretly. I sighed when Kai yelled across the room for me to cut the cake.

“What’s wrong, Jihyun? You seem out of sorts today.” Eunmi squeezed my hand, a concerned look plastered on her face.

“She’s just sad that we didn't invite a certain someone today~” Kris sung with a silly grin spread across his face. “If you love him then why do you still push him away?”

“Who says I love him?” I snatched the cake knife from Ji ae and stabbed into the cake. “I don't need him.”

“It’s so obvious, Jihyun. You look like you want to kill the cake.”

“One more word from you and you’ll be on my hit list.” I pointed the utensil at Kris. He backed away, but not before adding in, “Quick! Blow out the candles and make a wish so you can be with Kyungsoo again soon!”

“Yah! Kris Wu Yifan!”

And the food fight ensued.

 


Hey guise! First of all, let me start by saying how sorry I am for not updating for the past four (or five?) months. I have not been able to log in since the start of the year because I was caught up with other stuff (work, school, family and friends). This is really irresponsible of me to leave you guise hanging, but I hope you’ll understand… Although I am still unable to promise regular updates, at least there’ll be one once in a while. Again, I’m so sorry and thanks for sticking with me! :D (This is just a filler chapter, I know it’s uninteresting but it gets better!)

-vihyun