002

That Particular Promise

I told Ji ae and Hyori about what happened on the first day of my internship, but they only laughed. I think that was one of my worst life decisions, because as soon as Ji ae knew about it, she went ahead and created a new chat group. I thought that was impossible as she did not have Kyungsoo’s new number, but then I remembered that Kris had it, which meant that I was screwed over and out.

I was trying my best to avoid Kyungsoo and there they were, ruining my chances of properly cutting off as much contact with him. Why was my life so difficult?

I could not deny that I was elated when I saw Kyungsoo, but part of me felt enraged by the fact that he indeed lied to me, causing me to wait mindlessly for the past one and a half years. That part of me was also the reason why I have not returned to him straight away. What would happen if I had not met him here, would I have been searching for him for another two or three years?

I asked Kris if he could compile what they have discussed the previous day and pass it to me, but he was lazy, so he transferred the whole PowerPoint document to me. I managed to finish reading everything in it before I had to report for school the next day.

Apparently, the project required all selected students to create a proposal for ways to advertise for their company. The chosen candidate would be given a high managerial position in the company –most likely in the department of advertisement- once he or she had graduated, alongside the current manager, but if not even the best was worthy of executing then none would be promised the position. Talk about high standards, ouch.

Today’s visit to Do-Be comprised of a talk by the current manager of the Department of Advertisements and the in-depth familiarisation of most of their products. To be honest, I was dreading the whole visit to said company, as I did not wish to see Kyungsoo anytime soon. Funny though, because the first person I saw when I entered was him.

“Jihyun, I need to talk to you!” His face lit up when he noticed me walking through the main entrance.

“But I don't want to talk to you.” I crossed my arms, eyes focused on anywhere but him.

“It will take just a while, can we go to my office please?”

“Fine, but make it quick. I can’t afford to be “fashionably late” like you.”

He did not respond to my sarcastic remark, but I could see the corner of his lips lift slightly.

I was led to his office, a door that had the sign ‘Assistant CEO’ carved onto the material. I was greeted by a small waiting area, with Kris’ desk situated right beside the first door. Walking a little further, there was another wooden door leading to Kyungsoo’s main office.

Kris was pretty surprised when he saw me, and he might have misunderstood what we were about to do, because he started wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. I threatened to smack him in the head, causing him to drop the pen he was holding to raise his hands behind his head in a surrender position.

Kyungsoo coughed when he noticed that I was no longer following him, which led me to halt my conversation with Kris. “I’ll chat with you later.” I muttered as I reluctantly trudged towards the other male.

“What do you want from me, Kyungsoo?” I snapped once the second door closed behind me, arms crossed, with an annoyed expression clear on my face.

“Shouldn't that be oppa to you?”

“You little , you’re so thick-skinned.” I exclaimed in Mandarin. I could just hear Kris choking on his drink right outside.

“What did you say?” Kyungsoo tilted his head when he realised I might have insulted him because of Kris’ reaction.

“Nothing important.” I shrugged.

“That’s untrue!” Kris yelled from his desk outside the office. “She called you a ‘’!”

“You did?”

“I didn't!” I denied vehemently. “That’s Kris trying to convey his inner thoughts.”

“I'm not sure who to trust...”

"I don't think you have any right to talk about trust issues." I returned to displaying my poker face when I realised we had strayed off the main topic.“Why did you drag me here anyway?”

“Jihyun-ah, I missed you, and I want you back.”

“Is that it?”

“Please come back to me.”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Because you lied to me, and it’s not going to be easy getting me back in your arms. You know what? I don't need you, I can find someone else.” I smirked.

“That’s not going to stop me.” He successfully wiped the smirk off my face by inching closer to me and whispering into my ear. “You look nice in a dress by the way.”

I was forcing down the blush that was trying to creep up to my cheeks when I heard his compliment. Ugh, why did it have such a huge effect on me?

“Is that all? Because I’m leaving now.” I turned around and took to my heels without waiting for Kyungsoo’s reply, but I was greeted with an unpleasant surprise once I left.

“Seriously, Jihyun? The secretory wasn't enough that you have to seduce the Assistant CEO too?” Sojin commented as I exited the outer door. Turned out she was waiting outside all along, though she could not have heard anything as Kris told me that the offices and meeting rooms had somewhat soundproof walls and doors from the outside.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I pushed past her, not wanting to continue the conversation, but she caught hold of my arm and yanked me back, forcing me to face her.

“Oh you know what I’m talking about. Your goal is to seduce the ones in-charge of the project so that you can secure your place in the company. Don't think for one second that I don't know about your little meeting with him yesterday.” She spat, but I only rolled my eyes.

“They are my friends whom I knew from years ago, and this does not give me an extra advantage because the final decision is still made by the CEO!” I snapped, brushing off the spot she touched me before straightening the creases on my shirt.

“They’re your friends? What a coincidence that all the people in power are your friends.” A smirk crawled up to her face as she snickered.

“Look, only two of them are my friends, so stop assuming things. I really don't wish to speak to you, goodbye.” I sped off in the opposite direction, bumping into a table on the way, but I ignored it and continued walking towards the washroom.

I waited in the ladies’ room until it was five minutes to the start of the talk so that the chance of Sojin trying to accuse me of whatever she was assuming was slim. I did not want more drama than I already had in my life. Why did that kind of person have to exist?

I took my usual seat at the back of the conference room, and it did not take long before the expected manager arrived.

“Good morning students, I’m Mr Kim Joonmyun, Manager of Advertisements. I’m sure you have been briefed about the project yesterday, so now I will introduce to you all the products we have. Be sure to take notes as we go along.” He flashed a charming smile, which sent some of the girls into an internal frenzy. I did not take much notice of him, but one thing was for sure. He looked young. In fact, many of the employees working there were young individuals.

“We have a new line of products, for both men and women respectively. You can choose between advertising the products meant for females or males.” I tried to concentrate on what Mr Kim was talking about, and I did until Kyungsoo decided to join us midway. Throughout the talk, my eyes darted between the projector screen and him. Our eyes locked for a couple of times, but I quickly broke eye contact whenever he caught me staring.

“I believe we have come to an end. Mr Do, do you have anything to add?” The Manager of Advertisements asked politely, to which said male shook his head. “Any questions from the students?” A few of the students shot their arms up to catch Mr Kim’s attention, but I kept my head down the whole time.

“I think that’s all, I wish you all the best. One of you might even be lucky enough to work with me in the near future!” He bowed before exiting the room, with Kyungsoo replacing his spot.

“That is the end of the two-day tour around the company. If you have any other questions along the way, feel free to send an email to Mr Kim. Goodbye, I wish you the best of luck.” He flashed his famous heart-shaped smile again, and I swear some of the girls were drooling over how good-looking he was.

I hurriedly packed all my stuff while a minority of students were keeping him busy with a mountain load of questions so he had no chance of stopping me on my way out. Once I was out of the conference room, I did not bother looking back.

I threw myself into researching more about the company the moment I reached my shared apartment with Hwajae, after which I moved on to digesting the information provided in the catalogues that was given to all selected students, by the company. I did not notice how long I had been sticking my nose in the book until I heard a knock on my door. Glancing at the wall clock, I found out that it was already seven in the evening.

“I made dinner.” Hwajae peeked into my room when I let out a groan, a signal for her to enter.

“You made what?” I dropped the thick book when I realised what she said.

“Dinner.” She confirmed.

“Did you destroy the kitchen?” I quirked a brow. That girl could not cook for her life, and I was worried that she might have hurt herself or made a huge mess of the kitchen when attempting to whip up a meal.

“Relax, I only made rice and scrambled eggs.” She continued to comment on how I was unnecessarily worrying about her all the time. When she noticed that I went back to reading the catalogues, she went forward to pull me away from the comforts of my bed and out into the dining corner. “There you go, eat.”

Her eyes were fixed on me as I took in a mouthful of egg and rice. She was playing with her fingers while she waited for my reaction.

“The scrambled eggs have shells in them and the rice is undercooked, but for your effort, I give you a nine out of ten.” I gave her a thumbs up, causing her to return a contented smile.

“So how are the company visits going along?” She asked as she stuffed a spoonful of eggs into , cringing when she realised there was a lump of salt present.

“Horrible, but I can manage.”

“How about Kyungsoo?” Her voice was muffled as she tried to wash out the salty taste in by swigging a whole glass of fruit juice in five gulps.

“I’ll still give you the same answer.” I sighed before chuckling at her sour expression.

“You’re not going to forgive him?”

“Not yet.”


Guise I’m sorry I took so long to update the second chapter, I’m horrible. I’m becoming increasingly busy, which means I can only update once per week (or fortnight if I’m super busy) from now on. I’m truly sorry for that.

-vihyun