Chapter 5: Cold Moon

She is the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was long gone as Dalnim stepped outside of the convenience store for a second. It was one in the morning; there were very few people out at that hour. She only saw one couple walking on the opposite side of the road. They were huddled together trying to stay warm.

Dalnim closed her eyes as she stretched, reaching up to the sky. She opened her eyes to see the moon. “Cold moon” She sighed making smoke come out of as if she had been smoking. “You always bring problems with you.”

“What kind of problems?”

She turned around a bit startled but smiled as she saw who it was. “What are you doing here Kikwang?”

“Your uncle wanted me to get him some soju.”

Dalnim looked confused. “He doesn’t know what that is.”

“Well I may have mentioned it to him.” He walked into the store wanting to avoid Dalnim’s gaze.

“That explains it” she made her way inside behind him. “What did you tell him about it?”

Kikwang went to get a bottle of soju out of the refrigerated section and walked over to the counter where Dalnim was standing behind it ready to check him out. “I told him it’s what people drink to celebrate and even forget your troubles.”

Dalnim’s head dropped after she heard him. “I thought so.” She scanned the bottle of soju and bagged it for him. “You see it’s almost that time of year.”

“What time?” He grabbed the bag and gave her the money.

“Today is Cold Moon. It signals the arrival of winter. It’s only a matter of days before the first snow comes and my uncle starts to become uncontrollable.”

Kikwang didn’t understand why so suddenly Doojoon would become uncontrollable. “Why?”

“The first snow is when his family was killed by the higher ups. That same day is when he gets out of control with all the built up emotions and lashes out. I don’t know if you can recall but the day you were turned was…”

“…the first snow” Kikwang finished for her.

Dalnim nodded, “The higher ups know this and that’s why they kept him in seclusion once they got a hold of him. I’m sure they’re looking hard for him and you as well.”

Kikwang looked at Dalnim’s worried face and knew what she was thinking. “You know just because I’m not a pure blood doesn’t mean I can’t help myself. I am not so vulnerable you know.” He placed his hand on top of hers. “Your uncle’s and my life are not entirely on your shoulders.”

She smiled feeling his touch. “I know but I can’t help but think this is my entire fault to begin with.” She gritted her teeth, “God! If only I would have kept my big mouth shut back then...” Dalnim massaged her temple as she thought of the moment everything went wrong.

Kikwang didn’t like seeing how she enveloped herself in guilt. He squeezed her hand letting her know it was going to be okay. “The past is in the past. Nothing good will come if you keep thinking of ways you could have done things better. What matters is what you do now in the present to get to the future you want.”

Dalnim smiled “You’re right.” Just as she had felt relieved a beeping sound filled the convenience stor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter