Chapter 2: Full Moon

She is the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Day off, day off, day off” Dalnim chanted as she walked down the stairs. She ran to the door happy that she was free to do whatever she wanted tonight.

Truly she didn’t have to work at the convenience store. She had money, lots of it. The reason she worked was to fit in with the humans. She wanted to act more like them so she could hopefully feel human.

When she got outside she smiled seeing how bright the moon was. “Full moon tonight” she clapped her hands happily.

She had been waiting inside her house all day until the sun finally set. She checked the time and saw it was past seven. “I wonder if Mimi ate already.” She walked in the direction of the hospital.

Dalnim remembered how she had inconvenienced her a few weeks ago by calling her early in the morning to bring her blood. She still felt an urge to make up for that. She would try to take her friend out but with her being a doctor there wasn’t a day she wouldn’t get called in for an emergency.

Now she figured she could take her some dinner and spend some time with her. Mimi was her only human friend, in fact she was the only friend she had this whole century.

When she got to the hospital she asked the nurse at the front desk for Mimi. After waiting a half hour for her shift to finish Dalnim finally saw Mimi walking out into the waiting room in her white doctor’s coat.

Dalnim stood up with a smile. “Mimi you must be tired being here all day.”

Mimi shrugged, “I’m used to it.” She saw the bag in Dalnim’s hand. “What’s in the bag?”

“Our dinner” she said as she took Mimi’s hand and dragged her to the cafeteria. Dalnim placed the food in front of Mimi and waited for her to take the first bite.

Once Mimi took a spoonful of the fried rice Dalnim looked at her expectantly. “So how is it?”

“It’s good” Mimi took another bite which made Dalnim happy.

“Yay! I chose it because it smelled good. I really wish I could eat food like you.” Dalnim pouted as she sat back in the chair and took out a can of soda.

“Is it really that bad if you eat food?”

Dalnim nodded, “I could die. Our stomachs can’t take it. We can only have liquids but even then we have to drink more blood than anything else to keep ourselves from getting sick.”

Being a doctor naturally made Mimi curious about how a vampire’s body differed from a normal human’s. “I really wish I could learn exactly why your body depends on the consumption of blood.”

“I wish you could too. I would love to stop depending on blood. Getting rid of that would make this curse a bit better.” Dalnim took a drink of the soda, “this is the best invention for me. The people of the Joseon era would have loved this stuff.”

Mimi laughed at Dalnim’s childish tastes. “You know I don’t think being a vampire is such a bad curse.”

Dalnim looked at Mimi with wide eyes. “You obviously don’t know what you are talking about.”

“No just hear me out.” Mimi put down her chopsticks and began to explain her reasoning. “More people die of old age and natural causes than anything else. Vampires die from eating food and sunlight. Yes it’s bad to live through so many years and see people dying around you but you stopped aging. Look at you; you’re hundreds of years old but stopped aging at twenty. I would kill to stop aging right now. A day more and I will wrinkle.”

Dalnim shook her head. “You have great skin and with the beauty products that have been invented recently I would say you are luckier than the girls in my time.” She placed her hand on Mimi’s shoulder. “Trust me, being a vampire is a curse.”

Mimi sighed, “Fine I guess I’ll just age and die like everyone else. I’ll only be a small memory to you once I’m gone.”

Dalnim laughed hearing Mimi being so whiny. “Don’t talk about death. You still have many years ahead and I am sure I will always remember you.” Her laughing stopped as she heard noises coming from the waiting room with her enhanced hearing. “Mimi let’s go. I’m going to need your help.”

“What is it?” Mimi got up and followed Dalnim.

When they got to the waiting room Dalnim saw a man in a hoodie moving around in his seat covering his mouth. He looked like he was in pain. When she got closer she saw his eyes were completely black and knew she was correct. She stopped to look back at Mimi. She got as close as possible to her and whispered in her ear. “There’s a vampire here. He can’t control himself. He’s about to attack, he needs blood.”

Mimi nodded knowing what she had to do. “Okay let’s get him to a room.”

Dalnim walked over to the guy and pulled him up by the arm. She put on a fake smile and pulled him towards Mimi. “Come on brother the doctor said she will see you now.” Through gritted teeth she spoke to him, “control yourself and follow me.”

The guy bit down making his lip bleed. He could

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter