Chapter 1: Like the Moon

She is the Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was midnight when Kikwang finally came out of the café. He zipped his jacket as he saw the snow had not stopped. He walked down the street that was covered in fresh snow. The sky was completely dark; the moon was nowhere to be seen. There were only a few dim street lights on and even fewer cars passing by.

He looked down at his feet as he walked, seeing his feet sinking into the snow with every step. He looked up as he heard the sound of heels walking towards him.

A girl with long brown hair was walking the opposite way as him. When she got closer to him she met eyes and gave him a friendly smile before walking past him.

Kikwang froze with wide eyes as she passed him leaving her scent. “No no no no no, not again.” He put his hand over his mouth already feeling his fangs coming out. “Why can’t I control this?” His body turned around and began walking towards the woman without his consent.

It had been more than four centuries yet he couldn’t control his instincts. He let go of his mouth and began running until he caught up to the girl. He came behind her covering with one hand while the other wrapped around her waist and pulled her into the dark alley close by.

He pushed her against the dirty brick wall of the alley only holding as he starred into her eyes with his.

The girl watched with horror as Kikwang’s eyes went from a nice brown shade to completely black. It was as if he had turned into a completely different person. She had her hands on his trying to push him away but he was too strong.

Once Kikwang’s eyes had turned he became the monster of the night he most hated. He watched as the girl cried for her life. If it weren’t for his hand over muffling her sobs she would surely be heard by the people walking by. Then again, there were no people on the streets past midnight.

He let go of and just as he expected she began to cry for help. He sighed; he hated having to hear his victims cry because it would only haunt him the next day. “I’m sorry for doing this but you shouldn’t have crossed my path. Especially tonight, I haven’t eaten in three days in an attempt to regain my humanity.”

The girl’s cries ceased as she tried to reason with Kikwang. “Wh-what do you mean? Are you trying to rob me so you can buy yourself food?” She quickly pulled her wallet out of her purse and handed it to him. “If that’s the case then take it but please let me go.”

“I wish it were that easy.” He dropped the wallet. “The food I eat can’t be bought.” He pushed back her long hair getting a clear view of her neck. “Please forgive me but I can’t stop once I finish.”

“Huh?” The girl then gasped as she felt a sharp pain coming from her neck. Once she finally understood what was happening it was too late. She pushed him by his shoulders trying to detach him but just touching his shoulders she could feel the muscles that were hidden underneath his jacket.

Her eyes began to close and her legs went limp as he continued to drink. “P-plea-se” she breathed out before closing her eyes.

Kikwang retracted his fangs and pulled away from her.

The girl’s lifeless body fell down to snow covered ground. Her skin now matched the color of the snow and their temperature was the same as well.

Kikwang wiped his lips with his fingertips and sighed as he saw the bright red substance his life depended on. “What is wrong with me?” He pulled up the hood of his jacket and walked out of the alley feeling angry at himself. “It’s been 426 years and I still can’t control my instincts.”

He continued walking home just as he had been before the girl walked by him. He tucked his hands inside his pockets and walked faster. He didn’t want something else to happen.

A sigh of relief escaped him as he caught sight of a familiar convenience store. It was the c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter