Chapter Two

Going For The Gold

"Oh my God, i can't believe they picked all those idols!!!" Sumi squealed as she stared at the ten idols who had all came out and performed for both the judges and the crowd. "What if i go out there and mess up in the middle of my routine?!"

"Yah, don't psych yourself out before you go on. If you believe you're going to do bad, you will." Hyerim scolded the younger girl as she fixed her ponytail. "Besides, it's not a live broadcast, so if you mess up really bad then you can redo it."

"One of the advantages of broadcasted television." Dasom sighed, and gave her best friend a comforting pat on her shoulder. She would be going first out of the five girls, and then the five male skaters would go after them.

So far, Kim Yuna and Shin Dongyup had introduced the ten idols who would be competing this season and had been judged by the four judges before sitting down. This season, there were five men and five women.

Baby V.O.X's Kan Mi Yeon.

Actor Lee Minho.

Singer Baek Ji Young.

Rapper Shorry J.

Actress Shin Se Kyung.

Infinite's Sunggyu.

SNSD's Sooyoung.

Singer Brian Joo.

2ne1's CL.

And Teen Top's Chunji.

The crowd had gone wild when each star came out, and now they were all anticipating the revealing of the professional skaters that would eventually be partnering with their so called "Husbands/Wives."

"Are you all excited to see who our contestants will be pairing with?" Shin Dongyup asked to the crowd, to which they screamed in response. "Then, without further ado, please welcome our female figure skaters!"

"Go, go!" Hyerim pushed Sumi lightly, and the younger girl plastered a smile on her face as she lead the group of girls out onto the ice in front of the hundreds of viewers. They gracefully came to a stop in a line before curtseying to the crowd. Silently, all four girls except for Semi skated away to the far corner and waited for their turn.

Semi took her time introducing herself first, and then did a short program to Ke$ha's "Tik Tok" before passing the stage over to Hyerim. She too introduced herself before, instead of doing a routine, did a gag with the idols to make everyone laugh.

"Go Samantha-ah, it's your turn!" Dasom said, and Samantha took a deep breath before she skated to the middle of the ice where Kim Yuna and Shin Dongyup were waiting for her. She was handed the mic without any hesitation, and was given the ice to do what she pleased.

"Annyeonghaseyo," She bowed with a warm smile. "My name is Samantha Park, and i'm 19 years old. I'm a former Korean National Figure Skater; due to an accident at the 2008 Olympics, i retired from figure skating. Now i'm hoping to return to the ice with a stronger image and win a gold medal. Today i'll be skating a routine i choreographed to Mandy Moore's 'Only Hope'- please watch it well." With that, she handed the microphone to Yuna before getting into position. When the music began to play, she began her routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBrBZGweV0 

(This is the routine i'm imagining)

With her mind clear of everything except the routine, Samantha gave her all to the routine. Her movements were fluid and her jumps were sharp, getting cheers and screams from the onlookers. However, though she didn't let it show, her knee began to hurt halfway through her routine. Because of that, she decided to not do the triple loop at the end and instead changed it to a simple spin. When she finished, she did a small bow and thanked everyone before skating back to the corner where the other girls were.

"That was amazing Samantha-ah!" Hyerim complimented the younger girl as they hugged. "You didn't look like you haven't been in competition. It was beautiful."

"Thanks, but my leg feels the consequences of my accident." She sadly admitted, gingerly holding her left leg off the ice and supporting her weight on her right. "I'll need to take some serious pain killers tonight and ice it down before going to sleep." Hyerim could only give her a look of sympathy before politely clapping for Nayoung who was the last of the females to do her routine.

The male skaters took their time to introduce themselves and skate as well before everyone- skaters and idols- met in the middle of the ice with Yuna and Shin Dongyup. "First off, i want to say that everyone here has great talent." Yuna said with a smile. "I'm proud to have you all on kiss and Cry, and i hope you can get better with each practice and performance."

"And now, we will begin our partner selection with the idol who got the top score." Shin Dongyup said, and everyone looked to the scoreboard where the names would show up in order of highest score.

"First place goes to...Teen Top's Chunji!" The crowd- mostly the girls- shrieked as Chunji bowed to the audience. "Please pick your partner." Chunji wasted no time in picking his partner. He skated straight to Nayoung and held out his hand. She accepted with a gentle smile, and together they skated to the chairs waiting for them on the platform.

"And second place goes to.....Infinite's Leader, Sunggyu!" Sunggyu politely bowed and gave a shy smile to the female skaters before he stood next to Yuna.

"Has there been someone who has caught your eye?" Shin Dongyup asked.

"Ne, she skated very beautifully and i'd like to skate beautifully with her." He replied in a smooth and clear voice. Then, without any hesitation, he skated to Samantha with his hand outheld.

"Annyeonghaseyo," He greeted her, and Samantha bowed back with the same reply. With a smile, she put her hand in his and together they skated across the ice to their seats.

"I'm Kim Sunggyu, form Infinite." He said quietly as they sat down.

"I'm Samantha Park." She responded. "Thank you for picking me as your partner." Sunggyu didn't say anything, but gave her an eye smile that made her cheeks flush with pink.

The rest of the pairing went smoothly, and when everyone was sitting in their seats, Yuna pulled out ten mission cards. "This season is going to be different from the last season. Before leaving, each pair will receive a mission card and written inside is the mission you have to complete in the next performance. Good luck to you all." Everyone stood up and got in a two man line, picking out their mission cards. Samantha and Sunggyu were the fourth to receive theirs and they exited the ice.

"Do you want to meet back out here and open the card?" He asked. Samantha nodded, and they both went their seperate ways.

"Oh my God, that was amazing Samantha-ah!!!" Na Eul exclaimed as the skater entered the changing room. "Your routine was daebak...but why didn't you do the triple loop at the end? Is your knee hurting you again?"

"It'll be fine after a night's rest and some icing." Samantha replied with a small smile. "It's not bad, so i should be able to skate with Sunggyu-ssi in the next performance." Na Eul was about to say something else, but she merely turned to get dressed without another word. She quickly changed back into the clothes she came in but left her hair and make up the way it was. She was careful putting on her shoes, not wanting to move her knee in the wrong direction.

Zip-Front Washed Denim Jumpsuit 

"Na Eul-ah, are you coming with me?" She asked, and the coach nodded her head before following her out of the room. They walked across the now emptying set and found Sunggyu standing by the door. However, he wasn't alone- all around him were girls begging to take pictures and get signatures from him. He seemed at ease in the large crowd, and reached out blindly to sign different things as he talked to the fans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCRtvBAMg7aoMzo36-9Co 

"Oppa, i hope you and your partner win the competition!" One of them screamed. Sunggyu gave an adorable eye smile.

"Ne, gomsahamnida! I'll try my hardest and do my best." With that, he bowed to the girls and walked through the crowd to where Samantha was standing. "Sorry about that, they kinda tracked me down."

Samantha let out a tiny laugh. "It's fine," then motioned to Na Eul. "This is my coach, Han Na Eul. I was thinking she could help us in the competition when she's not busy with the Naitonal Team." The two bowed with polite pleasantries, and then Sunggyu pulled out his phone.

"Do you want to meet tomorrow and have some lunch? It'll be a good way to get to know each other before we start skating."

Samantha felt her cheeks heat up at the thought of going to lunch with him alone. Was it like a date? Aniyo, it was strictly professional....wasn't it? "Ne, how about we meet at the new coffee shop in Hongdae around 2? I should be done with practicing by then." She felt bad for lying about practice, but she needed to give her leg as much time as she could to rest before walking around Seoul.

"That should be fine." He replied, and then turned when his name was called to see his manager waiting by the door. "I have another schedule to get to. I'll see you tomorrow, Samantha-ssi." The three bowed to each other one more time, and then Sunggyu walked off toward his manager before they both disappeared out the door.

"Yah, he's cute." Na Eul commented with a glint in her eye. "And he asked you out to lunch- does anyone else smell a romance here?"

Samantha hit her friend's shoulder. "It's a professional lunch between skating partners, nothing more. Stop trying to make me think weird things like you." Grabbing her suitcase handle, she too walked to the exit, ready to get some advil in her system and a good night's sleep.