Prologue

Going For The Gold

Author's Note: I'll usually start off with a quick little note at the beginning of every chapter just to talk about a few things before getting started. The first is, would anyone like to make a poster for this story? I'd greatly appreciate it :) And also, i'm taking suggestions for who i should put as the other contestants on the show. There's ten in all, meaning 9 spots are currently open^^


It was an early Saturday morning, but Samantha Park didn't adhere to the normal human routine of rising with the sun. Instead, she chose to open her eyes at 4 am in order to get a good amount of time by herself at the skate rink near her apartment. It was open to the public 24/7, but nobody usually came during the hours of 10 pm and 8 am, leaving her to do as she pleased in those nightly hours.

Chloe-Noel-Skating-Pants-p89-lg-1.png 

(Ignore the face XD)

With a simple pink and black jumpsuit and her long black hair pulled back into a messy bun, she strapped her skates on tightly to avoid injury. The white, sharp edged shoes had been with her for over five years and she considered them to be her lucky pair. Once the skates were laced tightly and correctly, she stepped out onto the fresh ice that was waiting for her to carve.

Pulling out her ipod, she scrolled to her Skating Playlist and picked Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" before setting out in a steady . The song had a heavy bass, and she set her pace to an imaginary eight count as her body twisted and turned along the frozen water she used to devote her life to.

'Used to' she thought bitterly as she did a quick lunge and came up to do a small turn and skated in the opposite direction. It had been well over three years since she'd last skated in competition. The 2008 Olympic Figure Skating Competition was something she would never forget...or live down. It still hurt to think about the accident, and her knee gave a slight twinge of pain at the memory.

She pushed the thought to the back of her mind long enough to finish an old routine she'd never gotten to perform. Her skills were still as refined as they were when she was a part of the Korean National Figure Skating Team, but that was only thanks to her ex-coach and dear friend, Han Na Eul. The two women were both of the same age and were extremely close. They trained together five days a week, hoping that one day Samantha's leg would be strong enough for her to return to competition. And even though they prayed for a miracle, the retired skater could only doubt her chance of winning gold had long since passed.

Samantha skated for an hour before she finally took a break to grab some water and a quick snack she'd made before leaving home earlier that morning. Heading off the ice, she sat down on the wooden bench set out for spectators and dug through her bag for the water bottle she'd brought along. Pulling it out, she then grabbed her phone and checked for any missed calls as she drank heartily from the water bottle.

One Missed Call: Na Eul ^^

'Crap' she thought, and quickly dialed her best friends number, waiting as it rung.

"Yah, Park Seung Ah!! What did i tell you about not answering my calls! I know you're always a wake at this time!" Na Eul haughtily answered the phone, and Samantha cringed at the use of her Korean name. Na Eul was the only who was rude enough to call her by her Korean name even though she'd been told countless times that she didn't like it.

"Mianhe Na Eul-ah, i was practicing and i didn't hear my phone ringing." Samantha responded as she dug into her purse and grabbed a packet of peanut butter crackers- her favorite nutritional snack. "Why are you calling so early anyways? You usually don't get up until seven."

"I got some amazing news from the head coach at the National Training Center!" The woman on the other line said. "Kim Yuna's Kiss and Cry is having a second season and there theme is retired skaters. I recommended you for a spot and they just confirmed you this morning!!" The words hit Samantha like a bucket of cold water.

"Oh my god are you serious?!?!" She screamed, glad that no one was at the skate rink to witness her freak out. "Oh my god Na Eul, thank you so much!!!!" She could barely comprehend anything at that point, but she heard her friend's laughter on the other end.

"That's not all." She said, and Samantha listened closely. "The head coach said that if you do good on the show and your leg is better, he wants you to return to the National Team as a reserve until you can get back up to your full potential."

"............"

"Samantha...? Yah, Park Seung Ah!!"

"I-i'm sorry Na Eul- ah," Samantha said as tears poured down her cheeks. She quickly wiped them away and sniffled before continuing. "I just can't believe this is actually happening."

"Yah, stop crying. This is your chance to get back on the National Team and grab the gold medal you always wanted!" Na Eul replied. "I have to go, but i'll come by your apartment later with all the information, araso?"

"Yeah, i'll see you later." Samantha replied, and she hung up with a shaky sigh. The next thing she knew, she was doubled over and sobbing uncontrollably into her arms. This was the chance she'd been waiting for, for the last three years.

Whatever it took, she wasn't going to let this chance pass her by like she did the last one.