My secret hobby is cookie butter

The Reporter

"Kairi's POV

"Hoshino-kun! What is taking so long? Get your report finished so we can publish this week's newspaper article!" My boss, Tachiba Ryuu scolds me.

My friend swoops in to rescue me before Ryuu begins to lecture me. "Now, now. Ryuu, you know that Kairi is the one who does the most articles, and her articles are the most popular! Give her time, or else she could quit, and then hundreds of newspaper companies would be running after her!" Harumi chuckles. 

"..." Ryuu says nothing. Harumi just laughs quietly, clutching her stomach. 

"Call me TACHIBANA-SAN not Ryuu." he says, and gets up and scurries back to his desk. Harumi and I just sit there, laughing our buts off. 

"Harumi, that was hilarious! Thanks for saving my by the way. Ryuu would have probably lectured me for about an hour or two." I wipe the tears at the corners of my eyes.

"No problem! But just because he is your cousin doesn't mean he has to be that mean towards you. You always have good stories, and your writing is amazing! I don't understand him sometimes." Harumi pouts in frustration.

I just laugh. "I don't really know either, but if he doesn't fire me, I'm good." 

"He'll never fire you! If he does, then he'll probably come crawling back to you, begging you to return." she smirks. I just shake my head. Sure, I do an advice column and a few articles every few weeks, but that doesn't compare to some of the reporters in this generation right now. 

Suddenly, the phone rings, as its supposed to. I see Harumi pick up the phone, and answer it in her formal voice. I wish I could have communication skills like her. When I answer the phone, I become a robot, just spurting out words for no reason at all. 

All of a sudden, I see the phone in front of my face. I turn my head to see Harumi, holding out the phone to me. 

"It's for you." She has a puzzled look on her face, which kind of makes me curious about the caller.

She hands me the phone, and I answer it cautiously. "Hello, this is Hoshino Kairi speaking." 

"Kairi!" It's me! Come into my office now. Just tell Harumi-chan that you have to go to the bathroom or something." And then the call was cut.

I stand up and start heading towards the exit door. "Where are you going Kairi?" Harumi questions me. "I'm going to the bathroom, see you in a few." I reply, and head out the door, closing it as I leave. I walk up the stairs (because I'm healthy) and reach the office. I knock three times and open the door to enter. As soon as I enter the room, I see his face, staring right back at me. 

"Come on in, Kairi." 

I walk in as told. I plop down on one of the comfy, soft chairs. 

"So, what's up doc? Or should I say, Ryuu?" I sit there, spreading my arms and legs out like a bird. Ryuu smiles at me, something he doesn't really show to other people.

He leans forward, crossing his arms across his chest on the desk. "I have a proposition to make." 

I lean forward as well, but kind of fail as I have no desk to lean on, in order to look cool. "And what is your proposition, exactly?" Raising one eyebrow, I look over to see his face in full on serious mode. Well, even though he's serious, it deosn't mean I have to be. I can anything I want. Smiling, I take off my shoes and sit on the fuzzy carpet, ready to listen. Ryuu puts a cup of orange juice in front of me, and I drink the orange juice, enjoying the flavour of the orange.

"Well, I want you to go undercover and investigate Johnny's Entertainment." 

I spit out my juice.

"Why do you want me to go undercover? And out of all places, it has to be Johnny's Entertainment, one of the largest talent agencies in Japan. What are you thinking? The president of Johnny's Entertainment was on the Guiness World Records! And you want me to go undercover?! ARE YOU INSANE??" 

After my rant, I am panting heavily, out of breath from my surprisingly long rant. Ryuu walks over to me, sets me down on the floor, and looks straight into my eyes. 

"It's okay, I have already-somewhat delivered the message to Johnny-san, and he probably understands. This is why I chose you. You have a strong sense of justice, and even if you find out a lot of dirty secrets, I know you won't publish it. You are just too kind. I hate you for it as your boss, but I love you for it as your cousin/onii-chan." He smile at me warmheartedly, without a doubt trusting me with this huge job opportunity.

There was this part of me that felt bad about going undercover, meaning I would have to lie to a lot of people, and I hate lying.

But then I think as a reporter about all of the interesting information I could get.

I look at Ryuu straight in the eyes. 

"I'll do it." 

Ryuu smiles at me. "Great! Now I need you to start getting ready, because it won't be a good idea going back and forth between your house and the agency, for fangirls may get suspicious and follow you. So I have set a place where you can stay, it's a dorm room. You will stay with another stylist, which is your job. You will work as a stylist for PV recording, variety shows, and modeling. You may also help with makeup, or setting up the place, so be ready to do a lot of stuff." 

Wow. That was a lot to take in. This job sounds really interesting though, so I am excited to work on it. But then that means...

"Doesn't that mean that I have to do almost everything with guys though? Because I am working for Johnny's Entertainment." I look at him with slight curiousity. 

He smiles grimly. "I know that, and as your brother I feel quite uncomfortable with the whole thing, but there's no choice. You are the only person right for this job, and the only person I can trust this opportunity with." 

Sighing, I realize that there is no choice but to just keep holding on while working there.

Ryuu claps his hands. "Get packing! You start tomorrow, but you need your stuff done by 2 today, so we can ship it by mail to the house." 

My eyes widen. "You do realize that it is like, 1:15, and I still have to return to my house to get packing, right?"

He nods. "So get going! You don't have much time. The delivery people will arrive at your house at 2." He shooes me out of the room, and waves goodbye.

I dash downstairs to go back to my desk and grab my bag, not even giving Harumi a chance to say anything. After running for 15 minutes, I run home, grabbing as much stuff as I can, and squishing it into my suitcase. Shoes? Check. Pants and shirts? Check. All of that other stuff that would take too long to list? Check. 

Ding dong. That must be the delivery men.

I open the door to see the delivery men. I hand them my baggage. As soon as I begin to close the door, the two delivery men open it, and drag me by the arm. 

"Where are we going?" I ask, but I don't get a reply.

"Hello?"

...

"Nothing?"

...

"Well, since either of you two are talking to me, I will shut up as well." 

...

Soon we arrive to a car, and they put me inside. I realize it was a limo. The limo is amazing, filled with a chandelier. The two delivery men enter the limo beside me. 

The room is then filled with silence again. 

"Because you two are not talking in general, I will introduce myself. My name is Hoshino Kairi, I am a girl, as you can see, and my secret hobby is eating cookie butter. Now your turn." 

No one answers, but I can hear chuckles from both sides beside me. At least they aren't heartless. 

As soon as one of then was about to open their mouths, the car suddenly stopped. Apparently we had arrived. 

I open the door, and in front of me was a amazing mansion.

Oh, and also, about 20 good-looking guys in front of me.

WAIT, HOLD UP.

I was not informed of this. So, now I'm living with 20 guys, and being an undercover reporter? 

 

 

This is soo not what I signed up for.