Lies

who am i?

[accidently deleted the re-update.] 

minor changes to plot line and grammar edits 

- toasters 3/19/16


 

“I can't believe this is the last day of summer break…”

 

I let out a slow chuckle. “…yeah.” I quickly turned my head to meet with her eyes. “We’ll see each other right?”

 

She nodded. “I’ll try too. Going to a new school is different after all…”

 

We continued walking. I felt a little disheartened hearing that, but I didn’t show it. “Texting will be just fine okay? I know xx high school is a whole different school than ours, but texting will do—I know how you don’t text back. I don’t want none of that okay?” I .

 

She laughed and I did as well.

 

I checked my watched and the long hand was about to hit 12, making the time perfectly 6 pm. “Your mom is about to get here right?—” *honk* “Well my dad’s here so I’ll text you when I get home.”

 

“Sure thing. Bye~”

 

I walked over to my dad’s car and got inside. After going in, I turned my head and faced the window and waved at her, bidding goodbye.


 

“Practice is over! You guys may leave.” Everyone grabbed their bags and chatted with each other. I grabbed my water bottle and quickly chugged it down. I put my duffel bag over my shoulder and walked towards the locker room to get changed.

 

*buzz*

 

I pulled my phone out and received a text. Hey…when’s your next race? My heart jumped a little after a text from her.

I texted back. Thursday at 3:00pm, two days from now. Why?

Another buzz came from my phone. I was going to visit you. Do you want to hang out after the meet?

I smiled at the thought of seeing her. Yeah of course. See you then. :)

 

Thursday came ever so slowly and the thought of meeting her distracted all my other ones. Once school was over, I changed into my uniform and headed down to the track.

 

Gah. I’m excited. I couldn’t stopped smiling.

 

3:15pm. I looked at the entrance to the field and no one came in was her. I kept looking down at my watch, checking the time.

 

3:20pm. Maybe she’s running late. I reassured myself.

 

“Hey! You know your race is about to start right?!” One of my friends yelled from the bleachers.

I looked at the entrance and back to my friend. “Yeah! I’m going to warm up soon so don’t worry!”

 

I guess I should start warming up. I took off my jacket and started to warm up with the team, but before I joined the track, I stared back at the entrance one last time.

 

I sighed.

 

3:45pm.

It’s okay. Nerves ran through my body like fire and my palms were getting clammy.

 

“10 minutes before the 1600m race starts. 10 minutes.” yelled the announcer at the track meet.

 

Focus. I reminded myself before stretching out my legs and jogged a lap to warm up my muscles.

 

I couldn’t help, but to not look over at the entrance. As the entrance doorway opened, I jogged a little slower to get a clearer view of who’s coming in, but I got disappointment in return.

 

“5 minutes before the 1600m race starts. 5 minutes.”

 

I took off my jacket and pants at the side and neatly piled my clothes in the corner. My coach walked towards me and looked me in the eye “I just want you to understand that running your best is all that matters. Your only competition is yourself. Since you have asthma, control your breathing until the last lap is very important.”

 

I nodded at what she said, while breathing a little heavy due to nervousness. I pulled something out of my pocket and gave it to her. “Here’s my inhaler.”

 

My coach grabbed the object from my hand. “I’ll be there at the finish line as usual.”

“Everybody please go the starting line.” I and other girls walked towards the finish line and did some strides to relax ourselves before the race. After couple of strides, all the racers stood in their designated positions.

 

“Get set!”...“Go!” Everybody charged rushed to the front, in hope to capture that 1st place spot.

 

Maintain your breathing. Slow and steady. In and out. In and out.

 

As I get closer to finishing my first lap, the crowd roared like a lion, cheering every runner passing by. Everytime we passed, the crowd would do the same thing again.

 

By the third lap, it was a norm that runners will start to get tired, resulting in their pace to drop. I counted the girls in front and behind me.

4th place. If I can speed up a little, I can get 3rd.

The last lap came and I remembered what coach’s words. I sped up my pace and I caught up to the racer ahead of me, bringing me to 3rd place.  

 

250m more to go.

I sprinted a little faster, three meters behind the 2nd place holder.

 

200m.

I made my strides bigger and got ahold of 2nd place, but in sacrifice I felt my airways getting tighter, but I ignored it.

 

100m.

I looked forward and saw the girl ahead of me not too far from me. With all the energy I had left, I sprinted forward in full speed. The crowd jumped and yelled at the intense race in front of them. Hearing the crowd, I was determined to catch the girl and be the 1st place runner in the 1600m run. With each step full of adrenaline, I became closer to victory.

 

Until.

 

Until my lungs were shut off from air. I couldn’t breathe. There was nothing going in or out. At the 25m mark, I clenched my chest with my right hand in hope the pain would go away. Blackness started to appear in front of my eyes and I shook my head a little to get rid of it, but it wasn’t going away. With my hand on my chest, I slowly limped towards the finished line. The girl in front of me finished, getting 1st place and the girl behind me caught up and got 2nd. Before I knew it, the blackness got bigger and it wasn’t too long until it completely covered my eyes.

 

But before I completely lost my surroundings, I remembered...

 

She never came.