06;

i'll bring the stars in the sky for you

The next morning, Hanbin wakes up to the sunlight filtering through his curtains, to the sound of muffled voices from outside his bedroom door and the smell of something appetising cooking in the kitchen. It's in this moment that the memories of the previous night hit him like a freight train: Yunhyeong's wailing, Jinhwan's exhausted eyes, sitting on the couch with Jinhwan and listening to him share his story, the way Jinhwan's hands had felt in his, the way Jinhwan had fit in his arms - 

, Hanbin curses in his head. He's so ed, but he pushes a rough hand through his hair and resolves to keep it together.

After washing up in the bathroom, Hanbin grabs his glasses from the nightstand and pushes open his bedroom door, padding to the kitchen. He hears the sizzling of the frying pan before he even rounds the corner, alongside Yunhyeong's curious questions and Jinhwan's patient replies and warnings to keep away from the stove. The smile that tugs at the corners of Hanbin's lips as he leans against the entrance to the kitchen is small but there all the same as he drinks in the sight before him: Jinhwan is still in his clothes, half-frying an omelette at the stove and half-watching Yunhyeong stumble over to the fridge to retrieve something. Just as Jinhwan is about to set the spatula down to help his son, Hanbin pushes himself away from the kitchen entrance, coming up behind Yunhyeong to help him yank the fridge open. Hanbin smiles down at Yunhyeong when the little boy turns his head up to look at him, before dropping onto one knee so that he's more on level with Yunhyeong.

"What do you need, Yunhyeong-ah?" Hanbin asks with an encouraging smile. 

It takes a few seconds, but eventually Yunhyeong seems to recognise Hanbin, and Hanbin feels his heart warm strangely when Yunhyeong flashes him a smile and points at the milk in the fridge. Hanbin grabs the milk and shuts the fridge, placing it onto the kitchen island before deciding to hell with it as he picks Yunhyeong up and sits him down comfortably on one of the high chairs. Yunhyeong laughs, bright and young, and Hanbin ruffles his hair before going to fetch some cups. 

"Good morning," Hanbin greets Jinhwan softly, pulling out three cups to wash. 

"Morning," Jinhwan replies, smile content and eyes soft. Hanbin's heart thuds dangerously in his chest at the sight. 

"I wouldn't mind waking up like this everyday, you know," Hanbin continues as he turns on the faucet.

Jinhwan shoots him a questioning look as he plates the first omelette and cracks two more eggs into the pan. 

"You know, waking up to a good-looking guy who's wearing my clothes and making me breakfast." 

Jinhwan snorts as he turns his attention back to the task at hand, but Hanbin catches his lips twitch in the hints of a traitorous smile and he grins, pleased. 

"Sorry I didn't ask before using your kitchen, though," Jinhwan says sheepishly as he brings the omelettes to the kitchen island. "Yunhyeong was hungry, and I know this could never be enough but making you breakfast is supposed to be my little thanks to you, for letting us stay." 

Hanbin rolls his eyes at Jinhwan's apology, but smiles at him honestly. "You and Yunhyeong are welcome here anytime, you know."

Jinhwan smiles back, eyes sparkling, and Hanbin wants to freeze this moment, safeguard this image. "I know." 

Breakfast passes slow and easy, Hanbin getting up to make Yunhyeong a bowl of cereal despite Jinhwan's protests when the little boy had mentioned that cereal was his favourite breakfast meal. After the meal, Jinhwan slaps Hanbin's hands away and brings all the plates to the sink to clean up, and Hanbin spares him a brief look of exasperation before scooping Yunhyeong into his arms and carrying him out into the living room. Jinhwan laughs at the sound of Yunhyeong's giggles. 

"Hyung," Yunhyeong begins, tugging at Hanbin's sleeve. 

"Hmm?"

"Can we go shopping today?" Yunhyeong asks tentatively. "I want to buy a toy for my friend in kindergarten." 

At that, Hanbin wiggles his brows suggestively and brings his face closer to Yunhyeong's. "A friend? A girlfriend?"

Yunhyeong sputters and smacks at Hanbin's shoulders, face growing red at Hanbin's boisterous laughter. "Hyung!"

"You're blushing!" 

"Am not!"

"You so are."

"My friend is a boy!"

"So it's a boyfriend?"

"Hyung!

Yunhyeong is saved from any further embarrassment as Jinhwan enters the living room and glances between the two of them suspiciously. Jinhwan catches Yunhyeong easily when his son jumps into his arms and points accusingly at Hanbin. 

"What's going on?" Jinhwan asks, sitting down on the couch.

Hanbin winks again and reaches out to tickle Yunhyeong, who shrieks and burrows further into Jinhwan's arms. Jinhwan barely ducks in time to avoid being punched in the face by his son. "Yunhyeong wants to buy a present for his friend." 

"I'm talking about Chanwoo! I wanted to buy him a toy, remember?" Yunhyeong whines to Jinhwan. 

Jinhwan sighs and shoots Hanbin a look. "What are you, six?"

"Point is," Hanbin says, getting to his feet. "We're going shopping." 

Jinhwan pales. "We've already intruded on your time enough, Hanbin-ah. I can take Yunhyeong myself - "

"Yunhyeong-ah," Hanbin interrupts. "Would you like your cool Hanbin hyung to come along and help you pick a present for Chanwoo?" 

The excited nod that Yunhyeong immediately gives is enough for Jinhwan to chastise his son and for Hanbin to flash Jinhwan a wide smirk, victorious.

-

Jinhwan had agreed to meet Hanbin at the train station of the city's main shopping district at around five, giving him and Yunhyeong enough time to head home before heading out again. Yunhyeong is jittery and reckless with childish excitement, bouncing on the balls of his feet the minute they step out of the station as he takes in the crowd and the buldings and the streets. Jinhwan keeps a firm grip on his son's hand as he glances around for Hanbin, but eventually it's Yunhyeong who spots Hanbin first, shouting out a loud hyung! before running in Hanbin's direction. 

Hanbin looks up from his phone screen just in time to spot Yunhyeong, immediately pocketing his phone and holding out his arms as Yunhyeong leaps into his embrace. Jinhwan is given a moment to drink in Hanbin's appearance: his black winter jacket, dark blue jeans and dark bangs peeking out the front of his snapback. Jinhwan hadn't had the chance to admit it in the morning, but when he had first seen Hanbin in the kitchen with his glasses perched on his nose bridge, he had felt the desire shoot through his veins. Hanbin was, in every right, undeniably attractive. 

Yunhyeong is blabbering away to Hanbin about the presents he would like to get for Chanwoo, and Hanbin gives him his full attention, asking him where he would like to go first, but Jinhwan smiles when he sees Hanbin shoot him a grin in greeting from behind Yunhyeong's head. He watches Hanbin walk off with Yunhyeong in his arms and feels a sudden pang of fear because he realises he could get used to this, to letting Yunhyeong be in Hanbin's arms instead of his own all the time, and that scares him. Caught up in his own head, Jinhwan trails silently after Hanbin and Yunhyeong as they enter a large department store and head straight for the floor that houses all the toys, but he can't help the fond smile that tugs at his lips when Yunhyeong squirms violently in Hanbin's arms the moment they arrive at the right floor, demanding to be put down. Before Jinhwan can even step forward and warn him to stay close and not to get lost, the moment Yunhyeong's feet touch the ground, he takes off like a bullet in the direction of the various glass displays containing his favourite toy cars and trains and trucks. 

Hanbin chuckles, pressing a gentle hand to Jinhwan's lower back to stop him from running after Yunhyeong. Jinhwan feels his skin burn at the touch, even through the layers of clothes. "Don't worry, hyung. Let him have his fun. We won't lose him." 

Normally Jinhwan would protest, but Hanbin's hand is still there, warm and familiar on his back, and Jinhwan deflates against his own will. "I haven't been able to bring Yunhyeong out in ages," is what he says instead.

Hanbin offers him a sad yet understanding look, but it's the resolution in his eyes and his next few words that cause Jinhwan's breath to hitch in his throat. "You've already done so much, hyung. For so long now and all by yourself. But you don't have to do this alone anymore."

Jinhwan opens his mouth to respond, but then Yunhyeong is waving them over, loud yells of appa! and hyung! spilling from his lips. Hanbin just gives Jinhwan a soft smile before throwing a playful arm around his neck and dragging him over to Yunhyeong, enjoying the way Jinhwan fits so snugly under his arm and the way the older boy struggles futilely under his grip.

Yunhyeong is pointing at a yellow train inside the display case and he beams instantly when Jinhwan gives him an encouraging nod, immediately racing to locate the yellow toy train amongst the shelves. Hanbin follows behind Yunhyeong diligently, giving his brown hair a fond ruffle when the little boy finally locates the box he's looking for. Yunhyeong is all excited chatter and bright smiles, clutching the toy train tightly in his hands as he talks about how he can't wait to give Chanwoo his present on Monday. 

By the time they're done paying, it's already well-past six. They leave the department store and stroll down the shopping streets, Jinhwan walking with his hands stuffed into the pockets of his winter jacket in favour of letting Yunhyeong cling onto Hanbin instead. Hanbin seems to be able to give Yunhyeong something that Jinhwan cannot, that sense of fun and mischievousness that only a pair of brothers share, and Jinhwan wants Yunhyeong to have that. Eventually though, Yunhyeong tugs on the end of Hanbin's winter jacket to ask whether it was dinner time yet. Laughing, Hanbin picks Yunhyeong up and asks him what he would like to eat, pointing out various cafes and eateries lining the bustling streets. They end up settling for a small and cosy sushi place nearing the end of one of the streets, Hanbin pushing the door open with his back and holding it open for Jinhwan to slip in. Yunhyeong - still running high on energy - tries to clamber up the booth seat to get a better view of the sushi chef behind the counter, but Jinhwan resolutely yanks him down and reprimands him about table manners. Hanbin hides his amused chuckle behind his menu when Jinhwan ends up smoothing down his son's hair and ping his winter jacket for him mere seconds after giving him a scolding. 

Dinner is filled with chatter and laughter, with Hanbin responding animatedly to everything Yunhyeong says and drawing chuckles from Jinhwan. At one point, Jinhwan helps Yunhyeong place some udon onto a spoon, but Yunhyeong ends up surprising both him and Hanbin when the little boy reaches across the table to offer Hanbin the spoonful of udon. The happiness and affection is clear as day in Hanbin's eyes as he opens his mouth to accept the food, ruffling Yunhyeong's hair and thanking him. 

Jinhwan thinks that anyone who looks at Yunhyeong like that is certainly worth keeping around. 

Jinhwan ends up having to step on Hanbin's foot before the younger boy can offer to pay for dinner, immediately grabbing the bill and sliding out of the booth as Hanbin yelps in shock and pain. When Jinhwan returns to the table, he sees Hanbin already helping Yunhyeong with his winter jacket, zipping him up fully and smoothing down his hair before fixing his hood over his head. 

"You may have paid for dinner," Hanbin begins, shrugging on his jacket. "But I'm paying for dessert."

With that, Hanbin gathers Yunhyeong into his arms with one quick lift and he's out the door in the next second, Jinhwan hurriedly grabbing his own jacket and chasing after them. Yunhyeong taps at Hanbin's shoulder excitedly when they pass by a crepe stand, and Jinhwan catches up to them just as Hanbin's giving the order. He tries to tug Hanbin away, not wanting the younger boy to spend any money on him and Yunhyeong considering how they'd spent a night at his apartment, but Hanbin effectively stops Jinhwan's protests by shoving a strawberry crepe in his face. 

Hanbin shrugs, a little sheepish. "I remember you telling me once that you liked strawberries, so I hope this suits your taste."

Jinhwan takes the crepe in disbelief. He remembers mentioning to Hanbin that strawberries were one of his favourite fruits in a passing conversation at the cafe, Hanbin leaning against the counter like he always did when there were fewer customers as Jinhwan wiped down the counter and machines. He smiles unconsciously, flattered that Hanbin remembered such a seemingly insignificant fact about him. 

Hanbin puts Yunhyeong down to hand him his crepe, smiling adoringly as the young boy opens his mouth wide to take a large bite. Hanbin gets his own chocolate crepe and then they're walking again, weaving through the crowd of shoppers similarly braving the cold on a Saturday evening. Yunhyeong stops walking when they pass by a few street performers singing, eating his crepe and watching the performance at rapt attention. Hanbin turns to look over at Jinhwan and sees the elder with his chin tucked into his jacket, fighting the cold as the evening dips into night and the winter chill bites harder. Without much thought, Hanbin tugs his red scarf off his neck and wraps it around Jinhwan instead, fingers gentle but not meeting Jinhwan's eyes. When he's done, he steps back, but then suddenly there's a head against his arm and a body leaning into his side. 

Hanbin looks down at Jinhwan and for perhaps the first time in his life, his heart swells, the need to protect and care for and love so simple and clear to him.

Hanbin lifts his arm to wrap around Jinhwan's waist, grip tightening when Jinhwan instinctually curls into him. 

The song is soothing, the night is cold, the sky is starry, and Hanbin has never felt more in love than he does in this moment.

-

Jinhwan stops in front of his apartment door and pushes the key into the lock, opening it quickly and stepping aside so that Hanbin can pass through.

"Thanks," Hanbin whispers, slipping into the apartment while carrying Yunhyeong carefully. Yunhyeong had fallen asleep in Hanbin's arms sometime during the train ride home, sapped of all his energy after the excitement of the day, so Hanbin had offered to follow Jinhwan back home first. Hanbin trails down the hall silently after Jinhwan, stepping inside Yunhyeong's room and gently placing the sleeping boy onto his bed after Jinhwan removes his jacket and shoes and pulls back the covers. Hanbin decides to give Jinhwan some time alone with his son to tuck him in, so he heads back out into the living room to wait, perching himself on the arm rest of the small black couch and pulling out his phone from the pocket of his jeans. 

"Hey," Jinhwan calls softly a few minutes later. 

"Hey," Hanbin replies, getting to his feet and tucking his phone back into his pocket. "He's still sleeping?"

"Yeah," Jinhwan nods, smiling a little. "Too much excitement for one day, I think." 

Hanbin laughs. "Judging from the way he ran around the department store, I expected him to pass out much earlier." 

Jinhwan's answering laugh is bright, his eyes glinting in the darkness of the night as he walks Hanbin to the front door. Before Hanbin can bend to pull his shoes back on, Jinhwan stops him with a hand to his arm, gnawing slightly on his bottom lip when Hanbin turns his attention to him. 

"I haven't had the chance to say this yet, but thank you, Hanbin-ah," Jinhwan begins, gaze flickering up to meet Hanbin's own so that he can fully convey his sincerity. "Not just for letting us stay, but for playing with Yunhyeong and looking out for him. It usually takes a while for Yunhyeong to warm up to people, but he's so comfortable and happy when you're around, and I can't thank you enough for being someone Yunhyeong can depend on and also have fun with. It really means a lot to me, I just want you to know." 

Hanbin's eyes soften, straightening to his full height to respond. "I told you just now, hyung. You don't have to do this alone anymore. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere." 

Jinhwan's breath catches in his throat because there Hanbin goes again, saying these things that knock the air out of Jinhwan without so much as batting an eyelash. And then, in the next second, Jinhwan can suddenly hear his own heartbeat roaring in his ears when he catches Hanbin's gaze flick down to his lips. Without thinking, Jinhwan's fingers curl tighter into the material of Hanbin's winter jacket and that seems to be about all the signal the younger boy needs before he leans down to press his lips against Jinhwan's own. 

It's a short and chaste kiss, but it's enough to set every nerve ending in Jinhwan's body on fire.

"Hyung," Hanbin breathes against Jinhwan's lips when he pulls back, letting out a choked breath that Jinhwan swallows when the older boy's hands move to grip at the front of Hanbin's jacket. "I've been wanting to do that for a while," he finishes, voice no more than a breathless murmur. 

Jinhwan's heartbeat stutters. "Then do it again."

It's as though something in Hanbin snaps at those four simple words, because this time, he kisses Jinhwan with a fervour and passion that has the elder's head spinning. Hanbin's lips are soft yet firm on Jinhwan's own, and Jinhwan tastes chocolate when his tongue at Hanbin's bottom lip before slipping into the younger boy's mouth. Hanbin grips Jinhwan tightly at the waist, and they pull apart just to stumble the few steps over to the couch, Jinhwan falling into Hanbin's lap and knocking the snapback off the younger boy's head as he tangles his fingers into Hanbin's hair and leans down to kiss him again. Hanbin crumbles under Jinhwan's touch, breathless as the elder drags his lips from his mouth and across his cheek, down the column of his neck before a mark onto Hanbin's collarbone that has Hanbin keening and tightening his hold on Jinhwan. Jinhwan's heart bursts at the sound. 

Slowly, Jinhwan brings his lips to Hanbin's ear and in a breath to calm himself, and for courage.

"Stay?" 

Hanbin presses a gentle palm against Jinhwan's cheek, taking in Jinhwan's swollen lips and slightly messy clothes and feeling his chest tighten because he did this. He shuts his eyes, leans in and kisses Jinhwan again, lips soft and yielding. 

"Okay," Hanbin murmurs against Jinhwan's lips, and the answering smile he gets in return is sleepy and contented and so, so beautiful. 

-

A/N: ... I know it's been a long long time but hello, everyone, how have yall been? (▰˘◡˘▰) 

I'm really sorry that this update took so so long, but I think I'll try to give everyone an idea of what this year has been and is going to be like for me. Basically, I'm in my final year of college, so it's a horribly stressful academic year and things are insanely busy. That's why it was really hard for me to find the time to update this, but here it is, finally, and I hope yall enjoy reading it all the same (✿◠‿◠) I'll do my best to write and update whenever I can and, as always, do let me hear what yall think: it's always a pleasure talking to all you lovely readers ≧◡≦ ty for your patience!! (✿◠‿◠)