one

Something Else
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Week five. Still summer. Still hot. If there was anything Jaehwa wanted to be doing right now, it'd be staying at home taking all the air conditioning to herself. Since her parents were at work and her brothers were also in summer school, the house was cooling itself while Jaehwa was out. Summer was supposed to be a relaxing time; a whole three months without school or studying and just chilling with toes in the sand of the beach, a cool sea breeze calming your tightly wound nerves. This was one of the times Jaehwa wished she knew how to drive; well she did, just not properly. If she were actually driving on the road, she'd be the turtle among all the hare. Because of this dilemma, Jaehwa didn't have that dreamy summer. Instead she was stuck with both school and studying, and she was on her way to start that routine again.

If it wasn't for the heat, Jaehwa actually didn't mind taking a walk down this path. It was always quiet here; the houses may not be mansions and the cars may not be luxurious, but the neighborhood was pleasant. There were different paths that ended at different streets that led to the main road. And lining these paths were trees and light poles to make even the dimmest days brighter. To think this area was only 20 minutes away from her own home. If it wasn't for the tutoring job, Jaehwa never would have known about it. But taking in the scenery she'd been visiting these past five weeks wasn't the reason why she came. This was the last week Jaehwa had to spend with Min Yoongi; and she couldn't be any more thrilled. After weeks of what felt like pointless instruction, Jaehwa wasn't even sure if Yoongi had learned anything, much less listened to anything she said. Every day was something different. Yoongi always found or created some way to distract himself or Jaehwa. Jaehwa would always try her best not to get frustrated with him, but it was easier said than done. If Jaehwa didn't know any better, she'd think he didn't even care about passing and just wanted to sleep his summer away. Which only made Jaehwa feel even more hopeless and annoyed. No matter, she thought. Today is the last day she'd have to spend with Min Yoongi. As soon as he finished that test tomorrow, whether he passed or failed, her job was done. And she'd never have to see him again, well, not this often anyway.

When Jaehwa reached the house, she rang the doorbell. Normally she'd be standing outside for a whole minute before someone would answer. That someone being Yoongi. His parents were never home during the tutoring sessions because they were out at work, and when Yoongi finally did answer the door, he'd be half awake with sleepy eyes and half fixed hair. Today he opened the door after Jaehwa rang the doorbell.

"Morning." He greeted Jaehwa and held the door open for her to walk in.

"Um, hi." She said without being able to hide how confused she was. When Jaehwa walked into his house the atmosphere felt different, different from all the other days she'd been there. The place seemed more...fresh? Organized? She couldn't put her finger on it but she didn't think too much about it. She didn't come to investigate why Yoongi's house all of a sudden smelled fruity.

 

 

"Okay so I don't think you need to know all of this stuff for the test. I don't remember my teacher talking about this so you shouldn't worry." Jaehwa said. She shuffled through other pages in the textbook for potential test material while Yoongi remained silent. She found it odd how throughout out the whole session so far Yoongi hadn't said anything to set her off. Actually he barely spoke. For once he was really attentive. Jaehwa stopped her flipping to spare a glance at what Yoongi was doing. She only saw Yoongi's slender fingers twirling his pen on the tabletop. His eyes were somewhere else. Maybe the clock? He had his lips pouted like he was waiting for something.

"Hey. Did you hear what I said?" Jaehwa tripped the pen out of Yoongi's fingers, making it fall. He looked down at the pen then at Jaehwa.

"You said I didn't need to know whatever else was in that book since it won't be on the test." Yoongi looked at Jaehwa patiently when he knew he was right. Jaehwa shook off her shock and looked at him straight.

"Right so, we'll switch gears to-"

"Are you hungry?" Yoongi interrupted. So much for attentive. Jaehwa saw this as another distraction and shook her head.

"No. We barely got anything done. We can eat later." She said without looking at Yoongi. Jaehwa heard him lean back into his seat when she heard the creak and he sighed.

"It's already 12:30. You're not hungry?" Jaehwa looked at her watch at his comment. It had already been an hour and a half since she got there and they started studying.

"Oh." She accidentally said out loud. "Then yeah. I guess we should eat...”

"Awesome. I'll start making ramen." Yoongi got up and disappeared into the kitchen without a second's thought.

"Shouldn't you-"

"Relax Jae. It's just ramen. I'm not as stupid as you think I am." Yoongi interrupted. Jaehwa was flustered to the point where she couldn't respond, but for reasons she couldn't pin point. It was the same feeling she had when she walked into Yoongi's house. She couldn't tell if she was flustered because Yoongi believed she thought he was stupid or the fact that he called her "Jae."

"I don't think you're stupid..." Her last words trailed off to almost a mumble when she looked down back to the textbook. Yoongi chuckled.

"Good. I don't think you are either." Jaehwa had her head in the palm of her hand as she stared at the book. Her face felt warm.

 

Yoongi came with two bowls in his hands and put them on the table where study material once was. He shook his hands and wiggled his fingers after putting down the hot items. He shuffled back to the kitchen and got two

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter