Chapter 5

Miles Away From You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica’s POV:

 

Three days after the interview, I received a new call from KTY Corporation addressing the fact that I made it. Believing that they were mistaken, I was then sent to speak to my interviewers to confirm that they had indeed called the right person.

 

They spoke well of me and I almost thought it was a prank. I considered my interview as a failure, yet it served its purpose in getting me the job. I began to wonder whether they had forgotten my last response.

 

After discussing with them about the interview, everything seemed to fall to place on its own. And the next thing I know, I found myself working inside the building. It’s been two weeks and I don’t think it has really fully hit me that I was working my dream job yet. I still wonder how it happened, for it made little sense that I actually made it after failing to answer a question. My future was going according to how I planned it again, but strangely enough I’d never imagined it would go this way.

 

Carrying some of Jonghyun’s papers, I walked in to the nearest printing room. I settled the papers down on the table, waiting for further instructions from the guy.

 

“Hey, Jessica. Word around the office say that the CEO will be visiting. You should keep up the good work. You might get a promotion” Jonghyun informed.

 

“Got it. Thanks for the heads up”

 

“Anything to help you get used to our boring job”

 

“You told me the same thing on my first day. You're quite the loyal employee” I shook my head and laughed as the guy pouted from my sarcasm.

 

“NOONA!” He scolded.

 

“We’re still at work. Keep it down, ya?” I nudged at him and he glared at me, which had no where near the same intensity and effect I gave off in mine.

 

We resumed in setting up the machine to making copies of papers, repeating the same process over and over again.

 

“Noona, mind getting me coffee?”

 

I looked over at him and saw the pleading look in his eyes. I sighed and went out to wherever the coffee machine was located. Getting rid of the laziness I had in me, I abided by the younger guy’s wishes. Besides, I'm still his subordinate.

 

I’m glad I met the guy. By now, I can actually consider him a friend. He was one of the few people that seemed real to me. Everyone seemed like machine operated robots from how they walk to how they talk. Jonghyun would often make fun of the work, but I could tell he didn’t want any other job. He reminded me a little of myself, almost like the little brother I never had despite Krystal’s boyish antics. With his friendly personality, I managed to be comfortable around the guy, enough to joke around about his height. It was on a rare day that he actually asks me to do something for him, so I didn’t find the reason to excuse myself from getting the tired guy some coffee.

 

After setting everything up, I waited for the machine to finish making coffee. The coffee aroma fitted well with the office, soothing in some sort. I wasn't much of a coffee person until it became my best friend, during highschool and university.

 

“Jessica”

 

“Ne?” I turned around upon hearing my name out of the blue.

 

I met eyes with a familiar person I hadn't learned the name of. It was the same short girl from the elevator and interview room. The same p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter