Who's getting engage?

Coffee and Beyond

Her client invited her to a celebratory dinner party for winning the case. The elders retired home and the younger one went out for a drink. It was a VIP section. She looked around and was amazed how a VIP section looks like. She used to go the bar but never been to VIP areas.
"Atty, go enjoy yourself," her client pushed her to the dance floor.
"I'm over dancing. I've done it all my life when I was in college." She remained seated and enjoyed drinking and watching the dance floor below them.
"Comeon, this don't come often.  Go bust a move."
"alright. Don't tell me I didn't refuse," she got up and left her drink and phone in the table. "let's move it,"
"Your phone had been ringing nonstop since you left,"
"Oh, thanks. It's probably my mom. I still get curfew," she laughed.
"Curfew? who gets curfew past age 25?"
"I do," she laughed. "How's everybody doing?"
" left and I'll be leaving in a while. I've a case to review. You can stay. Hey, It's pretty. Your brother?" her colleague handed her the phone.
"My annoying brother," she reached for the phone. "What's up?'
"Where are you?" It was a yell from the other line. "I've been calling you for the past hour. Where are you?"
"Having fun. Why?" she said.
"Lee Hye Mi, where are you I'll come and pick you,"
"Look mister, I am celebrating a win. Don't bother okay,"
"Listen Hye Mi, if you're doing this for...."
Hye Mi wasn't listening to Jiyong. Her eyes were on the big scrceen. It was a news scoop that the famous Kwon Jiyong admitted having a girlfriend.

"Let's have one more round and let's call it a night," Hye Mi raised her glass and drank the tequila straight.

Jiyong parked his car and knew it right away that Hye Mi was in the coffee shop. The light in her office was on. He clearly remembered the passkey. He ran up to the office and was greeted by Hye Mi sprawled on the couch. "Hye Mi" he called softly. But she was totally passed out. "what happened that you went drinking" he covered her with the throw blanket. He wrote a note and stuck it to her phone and left.

"atty Lee Hye Mi!" the manager came shouting.

" what?" she yawned.

" the phone was ringing when I came in. Your mom called and your uncles were on the line,"

"okay. Am getting it" she reached for the phone. " yes uncle,"

"I was with dad yesterday and we watched your case. Did you tell him about your boyfriend? He mentioned about marrying you to some one. I think he already picked someone else. I pulled off all your case. Take the week off and settle everything with the old man before he makes his move."

She sighed. "oh man. Alright. Thanks uncle." she just hang up when her mom called.  "mom, I am coming home in 20 minutes"

"you better. Your grandpa will be here for dinner,"

Ok. See you" she hang up and got up. She looked for her phone and found it lying in the table. The sticky note was fluttering. 'call me when you're sober'  he wondered who left the note. She washed up and freshen up. "you're early today," she said to her manager.

"coz your mom called me early." she pouted. " what do you want"

"I'll have the refresher. I think I still have my hang over."

"I saw the broadcast. Congratulations"

"thanks. And I was off all the case for a week. Thanks for the drink. There's my taxi. gotta run."

"bye missy. I'll call you tonight"

"See ya" she left.

"Hye Mi, is there any particulars why your grandfather suddenly wanted to have dinner here?"

"he's marrying me off." she poured herself a glass of water.

"ya, Lee Hye Mi!" her mom yelled over  the counter. "it's not a topic you can joke with"

"I'm not kidding. Uncle Jung called earlier and warned me about it. I assume you knew it. Unni  mentioned it to me last time"

"are you okay with that?"

"nah. I won't let him ran my personal life.  Giving up my dream is enough. I'm going to take a nap. My head's going to burst" she took  the glass and left.

Her mom woke her up and was shocked to see that she slept for almost 6 hours.

The dinner progressed about her job and retirement and plans for Christmas.

"we all have  the dinner at my house" the old man said. "Ji hoon will be coming home." Jihoon is the second son  living in Australia. "and I will be inviting  the Kang family after Christmas"

"kang" her mom repeated.

"We will probably have your engagement early next year,"

"grandpa!" it was a squeal of protest. "gramps, no way. it's my life and I decide what to do with my life. I'm still 27. Who gets married in.."

"you should have been married at 25,"her grandfather cut her.

"it's a no and that's final." her tone was firm.

"your off this week. You better meet up with the son."

"I have a boyfriend," she blurt out.

"you have...Hye Mi," her mom was surprised

"then let him meet the family. Invite him on Christmas dinner" her grandfather didn't fell for her bluff.

"I'm not promising but I'll try." she was suddenly in trouble.

 

"mom am off. We're launching the new drink today. Drop by in the afternoon," she closed the door. She just stepped out of the house when her partner in a case called.

"Atty Lee, I just got into an accident.  I can't make it to the hearing this afternoon. My secretary have all the details. You can drop by the office and pick it up,"

"oh.. Can you get the other to do it. I have an important thing to do today."

"you're the only one free"

"okay. I'll ran it down" she just hang up when her grandfather called.

"the Kang family are coming tonight for dinner"

"gramps am not sure if I can make it. Atty Choi just handed me the corporate case and it's my first corporate case. I have to read on those for tomorrow. Gramps. I have to let you go I have an incoming call." she picked up the call. "Dong Yongbae," she have the feeling that it's not a good news.

"have you heard from Jiyong? We can't contact him." Taeyang's voice were all worried.

"not a word. We haven't talk for a while."

She heard Taeyang's heavy sigh. "if he calls you please tell him to call me"

"oh,"she hang up and sat at the curb. She has no  more  strength left. "God! What am I going to do now?" she hailed the taxi and directed to the coffee shop. "calm down Hye Mi. One at a time. Do the launching and review the case" she dialed Jiyong's number but it was off. "You're an additional  head ache." she called back Taeyang. "did he mentioned anything about going somewhere else?"

"he'd been acting weird after he admitted having a girlfriend and I assume it was you."

"I saw that broadcast. I have no idea about it. We haven't talk since then,"

"where did that idiot go," Taeyang still was worried. "I'll let you know if we hear from him."

 

She walked towards the coffee shop with the bunch of papers on her arms. Her brows creased when she saw the closed sign at the front door and the curtains were still down. She checked her watch. It's 11:15. "what the hell is.. " she tried the front door but it was locked. She went  to the back door. The coffee shop was quiet. She marched to the kitchen. "What the hell is going on?" she shouted and walked towards the dining area.

"Surprise!" balloons and confetti's filled the room.

Lee Hye Mi's jaw remained opened.  Her mother, sister, grandparents, the manager, the bigbang were throwing confetti's at her. "What is..Jiyong!" her eyes darkened and darted at Taeyang who turned his back and pretended to talk to Seung ri.

Jiyong walked towards her and handed her bunch of flowers. "My pretty butterfly,"

Hye Mi turned around feeling confused. "What's going on here?"

Jiyong guided her to the center and then he signaled VI. the four started to sing and walked towards her. Jiyong joined them and they serenade her.

"Jiyong," she was teary eyed.

Jiyong knelt and opened the little box. "Buttercup, please marry me,"

Hye Mi pulled him and buried her face in his chest and sob.

The crowd cheered.

Tae yang was the first to come up to them. "Long time ago, Jiyong told me about a painter. He was always excited to get out of the building. I later found out that he always meets with the painter. Out of curiosity, I asked her name but Jiyong went blank and said he doesn't know her name. She only gave the name butterfly. I saw how Jiyong went through when they lost contact. Suddenly he said he found her. I was really excited to meet the girl who contributed to Jiyong's success. When I met her, I suddenly felt jealous and understood why jiyong didn't let go of her." He turned to Hye Mi. "Lee Hye Mi, if you're planning to reject this proposal, I'm begging you to..."

"Hyung!" VI interrupted. "Jiyong hyung loves her and you love hyung. How could you?"

"You always jump to conclusion., let me finish okay." Tae yang sneered at him. "As I was saying, I am begging you to consider this proposal because if not, I will personally be stalking you,"

"Young bae," it was a cry.

"thanks bud," Jiyong winked at Tae yang and looked back at Hye Mi. "Sol does what he says"

"are you threatening me?" she chuckled and faced the party. She came eye to eye with her grandfather. His eyes alone was warning her. "mom?"

"Why are you asking me?" her mom laughed.

"Well. I want to know your opinion,"

"Marry him or you know what will come after," her grandfather yelled from the back.

Everybody laughed and Jiyong grinned.

"And why is everybody agreeing with this? unni?" she turned to her sister.

Her sister shrugged. "You know gramps better than I do,"

Jiyong faced Hye Mi. "Hye Mi," his voice was begging.

Hye Mi stamped her feet and left Jiyong at the center. She walked towards the counter. "We're supposed to launch a new item. Anyone wants coffee?"

"we want your answer?" VI shouted and everybody followed and chanted they wanted her answer. She stayed silent and worked on the counter making the first coffee.

Jiyong doesn't know what to do. He felt embarrassed.

"Lee Hye Mi, you're missing your chance and this won't come next time. I am going to marry Jiyong if you won't," TOP shouted.

Hye Mi turned to the party and walked towards Jiyong holding the cup of coffee. She raised the cup and sipped a bit. "You're G butterfly." She smiled and handed the cup to Jiyong. Jiyong was taken by surprise. "Oh my! it took me forever to create this drink and you just give me that look? I even reserved the name someday when I will meet you,"

"Buttercup..." Jiyong went speechless and just hugged her.

Cheers and shouts came from the crowd.

"When's the wedding?" Dae sung yelled.

"you can't wait to wear your tux?" Jiyong released her and faced the crowd. "Thank you. Thank you. Grandpa, thank you for letting me date your grandchild. Mom, uhm.." he hesitated to call Hye Mi's mother mom. "Thank you for taking care of Hye Mi. All of you who helped me with this, thank you very much."

"Are you giving a speech on a wedding?" Hye Mi joked.

"I'm practicing."

 

a/n: hello readers, Thank  you for sticking with this story.