Chapter 9

Firefly

Tiffany was cleaning up her room. It was the public holiday and her girlfriend had to spend time with her parents so they couldn’t meet. Furthermore, she has a new pet dog, Prince which she found with Yoona along the roadside. She took the little one home and her parents allowed her to take care of it.

Prince was roaming around her room; bulldozing his way into the heap of clothes which Tiffany had thrown on the floor. She had the intention to fold them neatly but her Prince wouldn’t let her.

“Prince, can you stop it? YA~!”

The dog was practically ignoring her. He was poking his nose into areas which were dusty. His nose was filled with dirt and the dog sneezed.

“What did I tell you? Stay away from that corner! I haven’t cleaned it yet!”

She grabbed hold of Prince and wiped his nose clean. The dog struggled and barked in his tiny voice.

“Stop wriggling.”

“Tiffany ah, what are you doing to that poor dog?”

Her mother was calling from the kitchen.

“He started it first! He’s making a bigger mess of my room!”

“Do you need my help?”

“No, Mommy! I can handle it. I’ll keep him quiet!”

“If he’s too busybody, just let him out. I’ll ask your father to take him out.”

“Okay, I’ll let Daddy know later.”

Tiffany was glaring at her dog; Prince whined incessantly.

“Shut up, I didn’t even hit you!”

The dog kept quiet but as soon as Tiffany put him down; he ran to the corner again. This time, Tiffany gave up. She concentrated with folding of her clothes when suddenly Prince ran towards her. There was a box in his mouth.

“Where did you get this from?”

Tiffany took the box from Prince’s mouth and the naughty one ran off again. He went out of Tiffany’s room and left his owner alone. Tiffany was inspecting the box and saw some small fine writings underneath the box.

“Firefly Necklace?”

She took out the top cover and there was a necklace with a firefly locket. She looked carefully and realized that there was a real firefly in that small locket. She has never seen it before. She turned to look at the fine writings again.

This is a Firefly Necklace that is designed for two special people with a special bond. If one’s in danger, the other locket will shine brightly and that’s when you know, your special someone is in trouble.

Tiffany was frowning away.  She has never heard of such necklaces before. And the box said there are two of such designs so if Tiffany found one; where were the other one?

She went out to find her mother. She had to know. She saw Prince playing with her father so she quietly went into the kitchen. Her mother was preparing lunch for them.

“Hi baby.”

“Mom, can I ask something?”

“What is it, darling?”

“I found something. Or rather Prince found it.”

“What did he find?”

“This.”

Tiffany showed her mother the necklace. Mrs Hwang’s face changed colour instantly. But Tiffany didn’t notice it; she was too concentrated on the necklace.

“Where did you find it?”

“It’s in my room; somewhere in the corners.”

“Oh, I bought it for you.”

“Huh?”

“I bought it at some night market. It was cheap.”

“Were there two of such necklaces?”

“No, there was only one. I bought this one for you.”

“Oh.”

“What is it, baby? Is there something bothering you?”

Mrs Hwang tried to hide her anxiety. She knew that necklace was given to Tiffany by her grandfather but Mrs Hwang took it out. She didn’t want Tiffany to ask her later on about this necklace. But she was carless enough to hide it in Tiffany’s room and totally forgotten about it until now.

“Nothing, it’s just that this necklace is a specially designed for two people with a special bond. I was wondering where that other one might be.”

“Nah, it’s impossible. When I bought it, there was only one design.”

“Okay, then can I keep it?”

Mrs Hwang’s heart was halved. But Tiffany seemed to like it a lot. And Mrs Hwang suddenly thought of Mr Lee, Tiffany’s grandfather who had to hide his grand-daughters away. This was the only thing left for Tiffany as a memento of her real family.

“Okay, but don’t lose it.”

“I won’t, Mom.”

Tiffany smiled as she wore the necklace around her neck. She seems to like it a lot and Mrs Hwang was troubled.

“Tiffany, I hope you’ll understand once the truth is out one day.”

-

Jessica was having an outing with her family – including Yonghwa and Yunho. Yonghwa was especially different lately. He didn’t pick a fight with Jessica and he was even smiling at her. Jessica felt uneasy at times and even Yunho was puzzled.

“Did you eat some kind of wrong medicine or something?”

Yunho asked Yonghwa when the three siblings were waiting for their parents. Their parents were queuing up to buy food.

“Why? What did I do wrong now?”

“You’ve been smiling at Jessica for the last 10 minutes.”

Yonghwa turned to look at his brother; and Jessica was staring at him as well.

“Why? I cannot smile now?”

“No, it’s just weird. You’d be glaring at her by now.”

“People change, okay.”

Yonghwa rolled his eyes at Jessica and Yunho before turning away. Yunho was sniggering while Jessica was thankful for Yonghwa’s efforts.

“Are you making effort to make peace with me?”

“I don’t have a choice, right? You’re Daddy’s favourite.”

“That’s not true. Yunho oppa is Daddy’s favourite.”

“You’re a Daddy’s girl. Yunho oppa is a Mommy’s boy. I’m nobody’s favourite.”

“That’s not true. You’re my favourite oppa.”

Yonghwa was stunned with Jessica’s declaration. He looked at his sister in bewilderment.

“How can that even happen?”

“Why not? Because you keep bickering at me, I can continuously shrug guys away.”

“Huh?”

“You give me a good experience on how to handle difficult guys.”

Yonghwa rolled his eyes while Jessica burst into laughter. She was teasing him and Yonghwa didn’t retaliate.  Jessica somehow adored this new Yonghwa. Just then, their parents returned and Yonghwa helped them.

They sat around happily as a family. Yonghwa even gave up his favourite chicken drumstick when his father accidentally gave it to Jessica instead. His mother was smiling as she patted his head gently. But their father was surprised.

“Wow, did Yonghwa hit his head?”

“Honey, how can you say that?”

“He’s being nice to his sister.”

“Isn’t that good?”

His father smiled as he gave his drumstick to his younger son instead.

“I’ve never had a peaceful dinner with Yonghwa and Jessica together. But I think I’m enjoying today’s dinner really well.”

Yonghwa smiled as he took the drumstick and gnawed it like there was no tomorrow. Jessica watched as her elder brother ate heartily. She was glad to find the nicer him but she was curious as to why his sudden change in behaviour towards her.

After dinner, Yunho had to go somewhere as he had made plans with his friends. And Mr and Mrs Jung had to go for a party so Yonghwa was left with Jessica.

“Can you take your sister home?”

“I think so.”

“You can take my car. I think I might be drinking tonight so I shouldn’t be driving.”

Yunho gave Yonghaw his car keys. He took it and looked at Jessica. It was going to be one awkward ride. Yunho took a cab while their parents left in the family car. The two siblings stood there; staring at each other.

“Let’s go home?”

“Isn’t it too early to head home?”

“Oh, is there some place you would like to go?”

“Let’s go to the beach.”

“YA~ only couples do that.”

“Oh come on, don’t be a wet blanket. Even siblings can enjoy some time at the beach.”

“Fine, but if it’s too cold; I’m not leaving the car.”

“Deal.”

-

It wasn’t that cold that night. It was a perfect night with a thousand million stars blinking up in the night sky. It was really beautiful and Jessica was smiling as she looked up. Yonghwa was standing beside her; fixing his gaze at the waves splashing against the sandy beach. Surprisingly, the water was rather warm.  He dipped his bare feet in.

“Beautiful night, isn’t it?”

Jessica whispered.

“Yeah, it’s a great night.”

“It’s more beautiful having you beside me.”

Yonghwa looked at his sister. He took a good look at Jessica’s face and was taken aback at how beautiful Jessica was. He never really noticed her; he was busy fighting with her over every little thing. This was the first time he saw her under the moonlight.

The girl’s face radiated well against the moonlight.

“Why are you staring at me?”

“Huh? Nothing, I wasn’t even looking at you. Don’t dream about it.”

Yonghwa was embarrassed but he looked away to avoid Jessica’s suspicion. But the girl had already seen his red cheeks.

“You don’t have to be shy. I’m your little sister.”

“Who said you’re my little sister?”

“I don’t care if you’re going to fight with me again tonight but I’m really grateful for what you did during dinner.”

“That was because Father and Mother are around.”

“That’s why I’m grateful.”

Yonghwa didn’t say anything. He just nodded and fixed his gaze at the vast sea. Jessica was still staring at him with a smile on his face; he could see her but he didn’t dare to turn to look at her.

They kept quiet after that short bickering and Jessica was closing her eyes. She was enjoying the sea breeze and Yonghwa slowly turned to look at her.

“Stop staring at me.”

“I’m not!”

“I can feel you.”

“I’m not even touching you!”

“I can still feel you!”

“You’re seriously weird.”

“If you’re not staring at me; why are you panicking?”

“I’m not!”

“Your voice is quivering.”

“Rubbish!”

The two half siblings started cute bickering all over again.

-

Taeyeon was at the beach chalet for a friend’s barbeque party. She started to get bored and then decided to head out to the beach on her own. She was taking a stroll along the beach; the warm seat water was inviting.

Suddenly she heard someone calling out to her name; she turned around to find Jessica waving at her. She thought she was dreaming but Jessica was right in front of her in a flesh.

“Taeyeon!”

“Huh?”

“You didn’t see me?”

“Jessica? Is that you?”

“Yes, of course it’s me.”

“Oh.”

“You cannot see me?”

“No, I thought I was imagining you to life.”

Jessica laughed heartily. Taeyeon had always been funny since she knew her. Taeyeon let out a soft laugh when she saw a guy standing behind Jessica; looking on.

“Er, is that your boyfriend?”

“Huh?”

Jessica turned to find Yonghwa staring at them.

“Oh, he’s not my boyfriend. He’s my brother. Taeyeon, meet Yonghwa. Oppa, this is my friend, Taeyeon.”

“Hi Taeyeon-shi.”

“Hello Yonghwa-shi.”

“So what are you doing here in the middle of the beach?”

“Nothing much; my friend is having a chalet nearby. I got bored so I took a stroll here.”

“I see. So you’re heading back to them?”

“Yeah, soon I guess.”

“Then if that’s the case, I’ll see you in school tomorrow. I’m going home with my brother.”

“Oh, sure.”

Jessica hugged Taeyeon before walking away with her brother. Taeyeon was watching them from behind; she sighed.

“What do I have to meet you so often?”

Taeyeon wondered.

Meanwhile at Jessica’s side, Yonghwa kept turning back to look at Taeyeon. She was still watching them from afar. He was curious.

“Do you know that girl well?”

“Well, she makes the best pastries in the world. I’m learning how to make them from her.”

“Oh, so you’re close with her?”

“Well, not yet technically but I think we might. Why?”

“It seems like she’s infatuated with you.”

“It’s easy to like me.”

Yonghwa rolled his eyes.

“You disagree?”

“I’m inclined to.”

“But you said I’m a nice girl. You said it just now!”

-

“Oppa, why did you decide to be nice to me?”

“Do I have to give a reason for that?”

“No exactly but it’s just unusual. You hate me so much.”

“I don’t hate you. If I hate you, I’ll send someone to kill you.”

Jessica gasped in disbelief while Yonghwa slapped his face. His words often came out wrong.

“I mean, argh, don’t make things difficult for me.  You know I hate small talks like this.”

 Jessica gave a sly grin. She suddenly leaped forward and hugged her brother. Yonghwa was taken aback.

“I’ve always prefer you than Yunho oppa.”

“What? Did you hear yourself talking rubbish?”

“You have to listen to my reasons then you’ll understand why.”

“Fine.”

“I prefer you because you’re always fighting with me. You don’t have to believe me but I feel much close with you when we bicker. Unlike Yunho oppa, he’s all prim and proper. Sometimes I do get suffocated by him.”

Yonghwa’s facial expression was adorable. His face lighted up and then he looked Jessica earnestly.

“Honestly, I don’t hate you. I swear I don’t. I just loathe you. I just feel like my world has been robbed away since you came along. I mean I e and then you came. Everyone’s attention was on you; none for me. I was jealous.”

“You’re such a petty boy.”

“Shut up. Fine, I admit that. But I don’t hate you. You have to believe me.”

“I believe you. I’m just glad that we can talk like this now.”

“Well, I prefer to argue with you.”

“Be my guest, oppa.”

“Jessica ah, you’re easy to like. There’s nothing to hate about you.”

Jessica was taken aback.

“I mean it. I think I can make do with you around me now.”

“Oppa, you’re such a darling!”

“HEY! GET OFF ME!”

-

“I don’t remember being so mushy!”

“You just said that; by the beach; before I spotted my friend!”

“You must be drunk.”

“YOU LOVE ME!”

“AISH! GET OFF ME, JESSICA JUNG! WHY ARE YOU SO CLINGY?!”

The two siblings bickered all the way home.

-

Kim Jong Kook was driving around town; gathering every piece of news he could obtain about his daughters. He made a promise to Hyori that he would track their girls down.

“Kim Jong Kook, you’re out of jail now?”

“Yes, I’ve been released.”

“Welcome back, bro.”

“Haha, look. I’m searching for some important leads.”

“What leads?”

“Do you know Old Man Lee?”

“Ah, your ex-girlfriend’s father?”

“Yes, do you know how to get to him?”

“Sorry, bro. I’m no longer involved in that world anymore.”

“I know you’re not but I need a small favour from you. I saved you when we were in prison together.”

“Okay, but I’ll just do one favour and nothing more.”

“Deal. I need you to help find out where this old man has gone to. He just disappeared into thin air just like that. I need you to help me find out his whereabouts. After that, I won’t bother you anymore.”

“Okay. Keep in touch.”

Haha or Ha Donghoon was an ex-convict. They became friends while in prison together. Haha was released earlier and he has been good so far. Jong Kook didn’t want to get him involved but Haha has the most leads that could help Jong Kook to find Old Man Lee and his daughters.

He took out his cigarette and lighted it up. He stood at the corner of the road as he waited for someone to pick him up. Haha had long gone into the darkness and there was a car waiting by the side of the road. A girl appeared from car and was heading to the 24 hour snack shop nearby. Jong Kook turned to the other side when he heard a group of guys disturbing the girl.

“Hey beautiful, where are you going?”

The girl looked scared and Jong Kook kept an eye on the guys. She tried to walk away but they blocked her path. Jong Kook had no choice but to interfere.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

The guys appeared scared when Jong Kook stood between them.

“Kookie hyung!”

“Do you know this girl?”

“No, we don’t know.”

“Then why are you disturbing her?”

The guys didn’t say anything but quickly ran away. Jong Kook turned to find the girl who happened to be a young lady. She was shaking with fear. Suddenly someone came running toward her.

“Jessica!”

The lady threw herself at the person.

“Yonghwa oppa!”

“I’m sorry. I took so long. I was finding a parking space. Are you alright? I saw what happened.”

“I’m fine. That man saved me.”

Yonghwa turned to find Jong Kook staring at him. He bowed and thanked the man.

“Is she your friend?”

Jong Kook asked.

“She’s my sister.”

“Be careful. Don’t let your sister roam around on her own at night. This place is quite crazy when the drunkards are let loose.”

“I will. Thank you for saving my sister.”

Jong Kook left them.

-

“Why are you so late?”

“I went home to get some stuff.”

“Is that guy still around?”

“No, but he left me a note.”

“Do you still believe in him?”

Hyori didn’t say anything. She just concentrated on the road; she was driving home after picking Jong Kook up.

“He’s not my father’s lackey.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“He’s a friend who has been watching out for me.”

“Tch.”

Jong Kook was scoffing away.

“Oppa, he has been there for me when you left me.”

“I didn’t leave you. I was put away.”

“No, when I found out I was pregnant with your child; you took off. You left me at the hospital, remember?”

Jong Kook kept quiet.

-

“Miss Lee, you’re pregnant.”

Hyori was in disbelief. Her boyfriend, Jong Kook was in a bigger shock.

“You must be joking!”

Jong Kook roared at the doctor and Hyori was appalled at his reaction.

“Mr Kim, she’s 2 months pregnant.”

“How can it be? We used condoms!”

“Condoms are only 99% effective.”

“Are you ing kidding me?!”

“Calm down, Mr Kim.”

“How am I supposed to be calm right now? I have a scholarship waiting for me and I’ll be entering college next month! I cannot be a father right now!”

Hyori was disappointed to hear those words from the man whom she respected so much. And she loves him.

“How could you say that?”

“Are you sure I’m the father?!”

“I only slept with you! I lost my first time with you! Are you trying to be irresponsible now?!”

“No way, I cannot be a father yet! I’m still young!”

Jong Kook ran off; leaving Hyori behind. The girl was only 17 and she was scared to death. Her father would kill her if he finds out about her pregnancy. But it was too late; her father’s men were following her around and informed her father of her whereabouts.

“LEE HYORI!”

Hyori’s hair stood up at the base of her spinal cord. She could hear her father screaming for her name. She tried to run away and succeeded because of Chun Hee. The boy was quietly following Hyori and Jong Kook when Hyori appeared nervous during breakfast that morning.

He caught hold of Hyori’s arm and pulled her into the closet.  Hyori was about to scream when Chun Hee covered tightly.

“Miss Lee, it’s me. I’m Chun Hee!”

“Chun Hee?”

“Shh, your father is here. Let’s stay in here. He won’t find us here.”

“Where are we?”

“We’re in the linen closet. Just keep still.”

Chun Hee held on tightly to Hyori as the girl trembled with fear. She was about to cry when Chun Hee pulled her closer and gently placed her head on his shoulders.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.  You’re not alone, Miss Lee. I’m here.”

-