Chapter 6

Firefly

Tiffany was studying in her room when her phone rang. Her smile perked up when she saw the name blinking on her id caller – Jessica Jung. She answered immediately.

“Whatcha doing?”

“I’m studying.”

“Wow, you’re so hardworking.”

“Why? Aren’t you doing the same?”

“Nope, I’ve been sleeping.”

“Baby, are you serious? You slept in school. You sleep at home too?”

“I sleep the most at home.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes but spent time talking to her girlfriend on the phone. This was perfect. Tiffany has never fallen in love so deeply before. They talked for hours before Jessica decided to hang up since her mom was home.

“I’ll see you in school tomorrow.”

“Tiffany, where do you live?”

“Huh? Why?”

“I’ll come and pick you up.”

“You don’t have to!”

“Why? Are you keeping a boyfriend at home?”

“Are you mad, Jessica?”

“Then why don’t you let me come and pick you up?”

Tiffany didn’t want Jessica to know that she’s living in a shabby place. She was not ready to show Jessica her life yet.

“My house is messy.”

“I don’t care. Give me your address.”

“I’ll tell you what. I’ll go over your place instead.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I’ll pick you up instead.”

“But you don’t have a car.”

“I’ll take bus to your place and I’ll wait for you at the bus stop.”

“Okay, I’ll text you my address.”

Tiffany was glad Jessica didn’t force the truth out of her. She put her phone aside and then looked at her study table. Tiffany grew up with just the minimum things. She has a complete set of stationary; a study table and a comfy bed. Her parents gave up a lot of things just to give her the basic necessities. They sleep on the floor with just a mattress.

“I’m sorry, Jessica. I’m not ready to let you see me in this state yet.”

Her heart was aching so badly.

-

Just like what Tiffany suspected, Jessica lives in big houses like this. But Jessica’s not proud or snobbish. She’s someone with a warm heart who opens up quickly to Tiffany. Just then, a white BMW stopped in front of Tiffany. The owner stepped out from the car. Tiffany was surprised.

“Hi baby!”

“Wow, this is an expensive car.”

“Get in.”

Tiffany got in quickly and Jessica drove off immediately. She then held Tiffany’s hand tightly and drove with just one hand. Tiffany smiled shyly.

“My mom bought this car for me.”

“Wow.”

“I don’t want to but she said I need it for school.”

“Your mom loves you.”

Jessica smiled before turning her eyes to the road. Her hand was still tightly locked with Tiffany’s.

“She’s not my real mother.”

“Huh?”

“I’m adopted. But they think I don’t know.”

“You mean your family is hiding this from you?”

“I found out accidentally from my adopted brother. He hates me a lot.”

“The one with the red car?”

“You saw him before?”

“I saw him arguing with you before at the school carpark.”

“Yup, that’s the one.”

“Did he hurt you?”

Jessica shook her head and smiled.

“He’s just a guy with words. He hasn’t really done anything to me yet.”

“Is he the only brother?”

“Nope, I have an older step brother. He dotes on me a lot.”

“I see.”

“I care a lot about them. They love me and take good care of me that’s why I’ve never mentioned to them I know the truth.”

Tiffany suddenly felt sorry for her girlfriend. But learning how her adopted family adore her, Tiffany knew Jessica’s fine as she claimed.

“Do you know anything about your real family?”

“Nope, I know nothing.”

“I see.”

“Well, I’m not going to find them anyway. My life has been peaceful so far and I intend to let it to be this way.”

Tiffany smiled and then nodded. She leaned closer and kissed Jessica on her cheek.

“And you have me now. I’ll love you and take care of you too.”

Jessica grinned.

“I’m counting on that now.”

They locked lips passionately.

-

Hyori drove all the way to Busan since Chun Hee’s older brother stays there. She needed to know the truth about her daughters. She still keeps his address. Lucky for her, the older brother was at home.

“Hyori?”

“Jaesuk oppa, I need to ask you something.”

“Well, you could call me. Did you just drive all the way here?”

“It’s something urgent. I need to know.”

“What is it, Hyori? What’s so urgent? I’m actually leaving for Seoul now. I heard Chun Hee’s awake.”

“He is?”

“Yes, my mother has been trying to contact you but couldn’t get through.”

“Jaesuk oppa, please tell me truthfully.”

“What is it?”

Hyori held on to Jaesuk’s arms tightly. She was going to collapse if her father’s words were true.

“Did you really leave my daughters at the orphanage?”

Jaesuk’s face changed. Only he and Chun Hee knew the truth about Hyori’s daughters. He looked away; he was guilty. And Hyori didn’t like the look on his face.

“Oppa, please tell me you left my daughters at the orphanage!”

“I’m sorry, Hyori.”

“What do you mean by that?!”

“Your father knew about the girls. He stopped us from leaving. We didn’t have much choice because he was showing us his gun. I had to protect Chun Hee so I left your daughters with him.”

Hyori was paralyzed to the ground. Her father took his daughters.

“I’m sorry, Hyori.”

But Hyori wasn’t listening anymore. She just left Jaesuk and returned to her car. She drove off immediately.

-

Chun Hee was sitting up; leaning against the pillows. His mother was thankful that he’s awake now. She tried contacting Hyori but the lady’s phone was turned off.

“Omma, maybe she’s busy.”

“She was so worried about you. I’m afraid she might confront her father.”

“Old Man Lee won’t harm me.”

“You know the culprit who knocked you down?”

“Yes, I know.”

Suddenly Chun Hee remembered the necklace cases. He shot up immediately.

“Omma, did anyone give you two necklace cases?”

“Hyori took them.”

“What?”

“Why? Is there anything wrong?”

“Nothing, Omma.”

Just then, Jaesuk arrived and he was worried for Chun Hee.

“Hyung!”

“Chun Hee! Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine now. What are you doing here?”

“Omma called me. I’m sorry I took so long to come. I had something urgent at work for the past few days.”

“It’s okay, hyung.”

“Chun Hee ah, I have something to tell you.”

“What is it?”

“Hyori found out.”

Chun Hee’s eyes grew larger.

“She found out that we didn’t leave her daughters at the orphanage.”

Chun Hee was stunned.

-

Tiffany was on the way to another lecture. Jessica didn’t take the same elective course as her so they didn’t go together. Tiffany was late so she was rushing her way when she saw Miss Lee sitting on the ground; looking distracted. Tiffany frowned as she came closer. Miss Lee was crying.

“Miss Lee?”

Hyori looked up and wiped her tears away quickly.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, thanks Tiffany.”

“You look upset. Are you sure you’re alright?”

Hyori sighed before she shook her head. Her tears came again and Tiffany was alarmed when Miss Lee broke down again. She quickly took out her tissue from her bag.

“Don’t cry.”

“I’m sorry but I’m a little emotional today.”

“What’s wrong, Miss Lee?”

Hyori was staring intently at Tiffany. She gently caressed Tiffany’s cheeks before pulling the girl closer to hug. Tiffany was taken aback but she just kept still.

“I’m sorry, Tiffany but can I hug you for awhile?”

“Sure, Miss Lee. I’m fine with it.”

Miss Lee hugged for a couple more minutes before she slowly let Tiffany go. It made her felt better but it wasn’t the same.

“Miss Lee, what happened? Did something happen at home?”

“Tiffany, if my daughters are around, they’re probably around your age.”

Tiffany was shocked but she kept quiet. She didn’t dare to ask anymore but Hyori continued her story.

“I gave my twin daughters away because I was too young to look after them. I was only 17 when they were born.”

“I’m sorry to learn that.”

“It’s okay. It’s my fault that I’ve lost my girls.”

“Forgive me for asking but what happened to your daughters?”

“I don’t know, Tiffany. I wished I knew where they are right now.”

Tiffany was confused but she decided not to ask further. She just leaned forward and hugged Hyori tightly.

“Think of me as your daughter then if that will lessen your pain.”

Hyori was grateful.

-

Taeyeon was putting the bread neatly on the shelves when Jessica walked in. Taeyeon’s heart skipped a beat; only Jessica could do that.

“Hi Taeyeon.”

“Hello, Sica. You’re alone today?”

Taeyeon noticed Tiffany wasn’t with her.

“Tiffany has class. I’ve decided to get something to eat.”

“What would you like to eat today?”

Jessica looked around and Taeyeon followed her. She was holding the tray for her; Jessica was amused.

“I can take myself you know?”

Taeyeon felt stupid. She gave her the tray but Jessica refused to take it. Taeyeon was confused.

“Well, since you’re following me around, might as well you serve me.”

“You’re such a princess.”

“You started it first.”

“Fine, which pastries do you want?”

Jessica was pointing to a couple of pastries and Taeyeon stacked them up on her tray. After choosing, Taeyeon helped to pack them up while Jessica waited patiently. She looked up and realized Taeyeon’s bakery has a menu board above it.

“You sell coffee too?”

“Yes, sometimes we have customers who want to enjoy a cup of coffee with the pastries. Do you see the vintage chairs and tables outside?”

“Yeah?”

“They sit there most of the time.”

“Those are meant for customers? I thought you just put them out there for decoration.”

Taeyeon looked at Jessica blatantly.

“Don’t look at me like that like as though I’m stupid.”

“You’re almost there.”

“Shut up.”

Jessica’s face was red but she managed to smack Taeyeon on her arm. She was shy and Taeyeon was fascinated with this new side of Jessica. She stuck her tongue out.

“So I can order coffee and sit out there, right?”

Taeyeon nodded.

“But it’s hot.”

“I’ll open up an umbrella for you.”

“You’re going to stand outside and hold the umbrella for me?”

“Jessica, are you sure you’re a university student?”

Taeyeon earned another smack on her arm again.

“Ow~”

“Stop making fun of me.”

“Wait here. I’ll show you magic.”

Taeyeon went out and pulled out a huge umbrella from the corner. She slotted the umbrella in the middle of the table and then Jessica slapped herself on the forehead. She was indeed dumb.

“See, magic.”

“Shut up.”

“Hehe~ okay, why don’t you sit there? I’ll make the drinks for you.”

“Do you have iced coffee?”

“Coming right up. Just wait there. I’ll warm up some pastries for you too.”

Jessica sat comfortably on the vintage sofa. Surprisingly, it was comfortable. She sat with her legs crossed and then she looked at Taeyeon’s direction. The lady was making iced coffee and Jessica smiled as Taeyeon’s concentrated look amused her.

Just then, Yoona returned and she greeted her immediately.

“Hi Yoona!”

“Oh, Jessica. You’re here.”

Yoona looked around.

“Tiffany’s not here. She will be here later.”

“Oh, okay. Do you want any drinks?”

“Taeyeon’s making for me.”

“Really? She didn’t complain?”

“She said she will make one for me.”

“Ah, I see. I’ll talk to you later.”

Yoona went in.

-

“OW!”

Yoona was poking Taeyeon with her spoon.

“What the heck?”

“You hate to make drinks.”

“She wants iced coffee. What can I do?”

“Well, you would usually yell for me if someone orders drinks.”

“She’s feeling hot.”

“Nonsense. It’s your heart who wants to make the drinks for her.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes but continued with whatever she was doing. Yoona was at the register; she was calculating the sales they had that afternoon. Taeyeon was busy with the pastries.

“Can you help me?”

“She’s your girl.”

“She’s not my girl! She has a girlfriend!”

“Let’s work together. You steal Jessica, I’ll steal Tiffany.”

“Don’t be an idiot. You don’t steal other people’s girls.”

Yoona pouted her lips.

“You really like Tiffany?”

“Yes I do.”

“Then it’s too bad. You can never get her. Just like how I could never get Jessica.”

“So I should give up?”

“Im Yoona, what did I just tell you?”

“Fine, fine. I’ll just keep my mouth shut. What help do you need?”

“Bring this to her.”

“You expect me to bring this to my love rival?”

Taeyeon smacked Yoona’s forehead really hard.

“Go.”

“Evil .”

Taeyeon gave up on her best friend.

-

Chun Hee was alone in the room. His brother and mother had left the hospital. He was looking through his phone when someone stepped in. He was stunned to find Old Man Lee came for a vist.

“Mr Lee?”

“Chun Hee, are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine. How do you know I’m here?”

“Hyori told me. She said you were unconscious.”

“I just woke up this morning.”

“Ah, that’s good.”

The old man sat on the chair and Chun Hee was watching him intently. Old Man Lee then took out two photographs. He gave them to Chun Hee.  There were two photographs of two young ladies smiling widely at the camera. Chun Hee frowned.

“I told Hyori the truth.”

Chun Hee was surprised.

“I told her I took her daughters and she left in a hurry after that. She probably didn’t believe me. She just took off immediately.”

“She went to look for Jaesuk hyung.”

“So Jaesuk told her the truth?”

“Yes, and I’m worried about her. I have sent a hundred messages but her phone was still turned off.”

The old man nodded as he fell into a deep thought for a second. He then turned to Chun Hee and gave him a bank book and a cheque of $2 billion. Chun Hee’s eyes were really huge.

“These two girls are my granddaughters. They are Hyori’s daughters.”

Chun Hee stared at the photos.

“They are fraternal twins so they don’t look alike. But they grow up beautifully, aren’t they?”

“You really didn’t kill them?”

“No, I gave them away to two trusted people whom I owe my life to. I told them to raise the girls up as their own daughters. Their expenses including their school fees were borne by me.”

“They are really beautiful, Mr Lee.”

Old Man Lee smiled proudly.

“They are just like their mother.”

“Do you know their names?”

“No, I have never asked for their names. I only know them by face.”

Chun Hee nodded.

“Once you find them, tell Hyori the truth about her daughters.”

“Why didn’t you tell her?”

“I cannot tell her now, Chun Hee. Someone’s after me.”

Chun Hee put the photographs aside. He pulled out his phone and went to his photo gallery. Before he went blank after the accident, Chun Hee managed to snap a photo of the man who was glaring at him. He couldn’t figure out as there was just a blurry image of the mysterious man.

“Mr Lee, I took this photo before my mind went black. I couldn’t see his face clearly.”

He gave the phone to Old Man Lee. The old man took it quickly and his fears were confirmed. He knew the person even though it was not clear. But his body frame was enough for Old Man Lee.

“Chun Hee, I’m going to tell you something that’s really important. And I want you to protect Hyori and my granddaughters after I tell you this.”

“What is it, Mr Lee?”

Old Man Lee sat down and spent hours talking to Chun Hee.

-