Chapter 7

Firefly

Hyori decided to leave the country for a while. She couldn’t accept the fact that her father had seen her daughters. It was just too much for her to take.  She was on the way to the airport when she was secretly being followed. But the poor lady had no idea. Just then her phone rang, Chun Hee was calling.

Hyori answered callously.

“Chun Hee..”

“Hyori, where are you?”

“I don’t know. I’m emotionally drained.”

“Hyori, I need to talk to you urgently.”

“I don’t know. I don’t feel like talking to anyone.”

“Hyori, we need to meet. I’m worried about you.”

Hyori was walking towards the washroom; someone was closing on her but she was still unaware.

“What do you want to talk about, Chun Hee? Did you meet my father?”

“Yes, he came to visit me. I have something about the girls.”

“Chun Hee, you lied to me. You have been lying to me!”

“I’m sorry, Hyori. I didn’t mean to lie to you. But I’m going to make it up to you.”

“I don’t want to hear anything!”

“Hyori, trust me for one last time. I have your daughters’ information from your father.”

“What?”

But before Chun Hee could reply to her, someone had already grabbed Hyori from behind. His arm was locking Hyori by the neck and her phone fell. Chun Hee couldn’t hear her anymore.

“Hyori! Hyori!”

But she was no longer there. Someone had taken her away forcefully.

-

Tiffany was making her way home when she saw an old white Jaguar car outside her home. She frowned and wondered who the owner was. That old white Jaguar is an antique and it could be quite costly. The owner must be a rich person.

She was just outside the door when it was opened suddenly. There stood an old man but with handsome features; he looked rather good for an elderly man. Tiffany was taken aback at first but quickly greeted him.

“Hello Haraboji.”

The old man looked a little surprised when she addressed him as “grandfather” but realized it was just a common greeting. He smiled and nodded.

“Ah, Tiffany, you’re home.”

Tiffany’s father was just behind the old man.

“Hi Daddy.”

“Tiffany, this is Daddy’s old friend, Mr Lee.”

“This is your daughter, Young?”

“Yes, Mr Lee. This is my one and only daughter.”

“She’s beautiful.”

Mr Lee’s eye-smiles were prominent and Tiffany was a little taken aback to find the similarity. They have the same eye-smiles.

“How old are you, my dear?”

“I’m 20 this year.”

“Time really flies.”

Tiffany could only smile. The old man patted her head gently before making his way out to his car. Tiffany looked on as her father put his arm around her shoulders. He was waving goodbye and Tiffany was compelled to do the same.

The old man waved back before his antique car roared into life. It was an impressive car as he drove away from Tiffany’s porch. Once the car was out of view, Tiffany turned to her father.

“Who is he, Daddy?”

“Daddy used to work for him but not anymore.”

“He’s the reason for your lame leg?”

Tiffany knew her father quit his job after a bad accident.

“Tiffany, that’s not nice to say of him. He has helped me a lot. He paid for my hospital bills.”

“I’m sorry, Daddy.”

“He’s a good man. He may look stern and fierce but his heart is made of gold. He is a gentle man when he’s with his loved ones.”

“You speak fondly of him. He must really be a great man.”

“You’ll understand one day, Tiffany. Now let’s go in. Your mother cooked pasta today.”

Her father went in but Tiffany was pondering on his words. His father seemed melancholic about this visit. He looked a little worried as well but he wouldn’t indulge more. However Tiffany couldn’t forget the old man’s eye-smiles.

They looked exactly the same as hers.

“Who is this old man?”

Tiffany wondered.

-

Jessica was in her room when she heard noises downstairs. Her parents were home and her eldest brother as well. She was curious so she opened her door slightly. She saw her parents with an unidentified old man; walking towards their study room. Her eldest brother was probably still in his room. 

“Uncle Lee, I haven’t seen you for a long time.”

“Yes, I’ve been busy. How are you and your wife?”

“We’re good, Uncle Lee.”

Mrs Jung replied before the door was closed. Usually Jessica wouldn’t care but this time around, Jessica was really curious about the old man. She had never seen him before. She quietly crept up to the study room and placed her ear on the door. She could hear them; not loudly but it was clear enough for her to eavesdrop.

“Is everything alright, Uncle Lee?”

“I’m fine but I’m here to ask you for a favour.”

“What is it, Uncle Lee?”

“I’m going to be away for a long time and I’m not sure when I’ll be returning.”

“What do you mean?”

“She has found out about her daughters.”

Jessica could hear a soft gasp.

“But I didn’t tell her anything about giving her daughters away to whom. She only knew that I kept her daughters and that my helpers didn’t leave them at the orphanage.”

Jessica frowned.

“Why didn’t you tell her the truth?”

That was Mrs Jung who was asking.

“I don’t intend to let her know yet because I have yet to settle some old scores with the jerk.”

“You found him?”

“No, he’s back and I know he’s back for vengeance.”

“Uncle Lee, I suggest you tell her the truth. If not, you’ll be misunderstood for the rest of your life.”

“I don’t intend to change that. She has grown up with a lot of pain and suffering. Once I’m gone, and after I’m done with my issue with that jerk; someone will tell her the truth.”

“Am I going to lose her?”

Mrs Jung was speaking softly and Jessica didn’t like the tone of her mother’s voice. Her voice was quivering. She was about to lean closer when someone interrupted her.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Jessica turned and Yonghwa was glaring at her.

“Nothing.”

“Why are you eavesdropping? Are Mom and Dad inside?”

“I told you I’m doing nothing.”

Jessica turned around and walked away but Yonghwa caught up with her. He grabbed his arm tightly.

“What did you hear?”

“It’s none of your business.”

“What are you hiding from us?!”

Yonghwa raised his voice and he was hurting Jessica. Fortunately, Yunho heard the commotion and quickly got out from the room. He was appalled to find Yonghwa grabbing Jessica tightly on her arm.

“What are you doing? Let her go.”

“She’s hiding something from us!”

“What are you talking about? Her arm is turning red. Let her go!”

“Oppa, don’t raise your voice. We have a guest in the study room with Daddy and Mommy.”

Jessica was worried that her parents might hear them. She then pulled both her brothers into her room and closed the door immediately. Yunho was prying Yonghwa’s hand from Jessica.

“There’s a guest? How come I didn’t know?”

“They went into the study room quietly. It’s an old man.”

“An old man?”

Yonghwa interrupted.

“Yes, do you know him?”

“Nah, but I’ve seen him around a couple of times.”

“I see.”

“So what did you hear from them?”

“They were talking about someone. I don’t know who the person is.”

“You were eavesdropping?”

Yunho was asking Jessica and the girl nodded her head in guilt.

“Why did you do that?”

“I was just curious.”

“Curiosity kills the cat, you know?”

Yonghwa was sarcastic. But Jessica just kept quiet.

“And why did you grab her arm so tightly? Look, it’s all red now.”

“Why is this suddenly turning into my fault?”

“She’s a girl for god sake. Can’t you be gentle on her?”

Yunho and Yonghwa started quarrelling over Jessica. It had always been the case. The eldest brother was protective of Jessica and the elder one had so much hate for her. Sometimes it boggled her mind as how Yonghwa could tolerate her presence all this while.

“Fine, everything’s my fault! If you lose your family fortune to her, don’t blame me!”

“Yonghwa!”

Yonghwa ignored his brother and glared at Jessica. He left Jessica’s room abruptly and Jessica felt sorry for Yonghwa. He was always getting into trouble with Yunho because Yunho was too protective of her.

“Oppa, you shouldn’t yell at Yonghwa oppa like that.”

“He hurt you. You know, I don’t like him when he’s like that.”

“Yes, but he didn’t mean any harm. You should know his temper.”

“You’re always too forgiving when it comes to Yonghwa that’s why he got big-headed.”

“I don’t like to see my two brothers fighting over me.”

Yunho was feeling guilty now. He didn’t want to fight with Yonghwa but he was protecting Jessica over a secret he swore with his parents that he wouldn’t tell.

“It’s okay. He’ll be fine. I’ll talk to him later.”

“Oppa, I know you love me and you’re protecting me but Yonghwa oppa is your brother too. You should pay attention on him as well.”

“I will.”

Yunho patted on her head before leaving her room. Now Jessica was even more curious about her past. She wondered.

“Is that old man related to me?”

She couldn’t stop wondering.

-

Hyori’s head was throbbing in pain. Everything was a like blur to her but she was slowly coming to her senses. Suddenly she realized she was in some run-down place and her hands were tied. She panicked.

“Stop moving.”

That voice was familiar. She slowly looked up and was stunned to find a familiar face staring at her.

“Are you surprised?”

Hyori’s eyes were really large.

“How are you?”

This was the same man who got her pregnant when she was 17. He was her world; he was her everything. She believed in him and changed because of what he had done for her. But unfortunately, he was also the reason for her broken heart.

Her heart had bled to death when he ran away and disappeared from this earth. He shrunk his responsibility as the father of her unborn babies and left her to defend herself.  And now she has lost her daughters because of him.

She hated him.

“Why are you glaring at me?”

“You, you were the reason why I lost my daughters!”

“Oh? We have a girl?”

“You’re not fit to be the father of my children.”

“Children?”

“We have two fraternal twin girls.”

The man smiled.

“I’m a father of two girls?”

“They are not yours. They are mine.”

“You weren’t being pregnant if not because of me.”

“You ran away when I needed you the most!”

The man suddenly slammed the table in front of him and uplifted it. He then slammed the table to the side of the room before he harshly grabbed Hyori’s neck with his bulging arm. Hyori was terrified but she maintained her composure. She glared at him.

“I have reasons for leaving.”

“I don’t want to hear anymore, Kim Jong Kook. I hate you.”

She really hates him so much.

-

Chun Hee left the hospital quietly. He was really worried about Hyori. Fortunately, Chun Hee had left software on Hyori’s phone secretly before so that he could locate her easily. He was relieved when the signal was picked up.

Chun Hee was puzzled. Hyori’s location was a little peculiar. What was she doing just the outskirt of town? It seemed like she was in some country-side area. He was intensely nervous because Hyori suddenly went missing.

Chun Hee recalled Old Man Lee’s words. Hyori’s ex boyfriend is back.

“Wait, what are you talking about?”

Chun Hee was confused with Mr Lee’s words.

“Kim Jong Kook ran away after Hyori told him she was pregnant with his child. He just left her and took off. I was so mad so I tracked him down.”

Chun Hee was staring at Mr Lee’s face.

“When I found him, I did something that I shouldn’t.”

“What did you do?”

Old Man Lee couldn’t speak but Chun Hee knew. And he was afraid to ask but he had to.

“You didn’t kill his family, right?”

The old man didn’t answer.

 “How could you do that?”

“You should know the old me, Chun Hee.”

“Yes, I do but I’ve always believed that you’re still a good man!”

Old Man Lee was taken aback.

“You’re a good man; you took care of my mother and put me and Jaesuk hyung through school. My mother was not a good woman herself; she was a e but you didn’t mind her background and took her in with us in tow. You made her Hyori’s nanny and I’m grateful to you for all these years.”

“Chun Hee, you..”

“I’ve always take you as my father. Although I’ve never spoken to you that much, but I’ve always tell myself that you’re like a father to me. You put me through school.”

“Your mother’s a good woman.”

“I know she is that’s why I believe that you’re a good man too.”

“Chun Hee, I think you should know the true story.”

“What is it? Did you kill him too?”

“No, I didn’t kill him. I didn’t kill his family too. His father has owned some loan sharks and he couldn’t pay them back. So they killed him. I was there that night.”

“Huh?”

“The loan sharks killed his family. They set his house on fire while he was gone. His mother, father and sister were perished in the fire. When he got home, his house was already charred in the fire. He saw me; he knew who I was and he thought I was the one who killed his family for revenge.”

“What?”

“He ran away before I could tell him the truth. That man who knocked you down was him. Kim Jong Kook was a bodybuilder in school. I’m pretty sure he’s back for his child.”

Chun Hee was shocked with the revelation. He finally understood why Old Man Lee was a secretive man.

“So you made the Firefly necklaces because you knew your granddaughters would be in trouble some day?”

He nodded.

“Why couldn’t you tell Hyori the truth about everything? Why did you let her have this terrible misunderstanding about you?”

“Hyori grew up without her mother. She hates me because I caused her mother’s death. I couldn’t do it to her. I don’t want to be the reason for her children’s deaths too.”

“No, that’s stupid. I’ll find Hyori and tell her the truth.”

“It’s no use. I’m going away after this. This is a bank book and a file with documents of my granddaughters.”

Old Man Lee gave it to Chun Hee.

“You can find them if you read through these documents.”

“But this is wrong! Hyori must know what type of father she has!”

“Chun Hee, I’m relying on you to save my daughter and granddaughters now. I know you like her, right?”

Chun Hee’s face turned crimson red. Yes, he has developed feelings for Hyori over the years. He had been nursing a huge crush on Hyori since they were kids. But as they grew up together, Hyori was already seeing someone and Chun Hee knew he was just her nanny’s son. They wouldn’t match up so that’s why he didn’t confess to her.

“Tell her you like her, Chun Hee. Marry her and make her your wife. I hope you can do this for me, Chun Hee. Find my granddaughters and help them.”

Chun Hee’s mind was in a mess. But his main priority now was to find Hyori. He needed to do this before he could tell her the truth. He took the photos of Hyori’s daughters and held on tightly.

“I promise I’ll find your mother and unite the two of you with her.”

That was his promise.

-