Chapter 1

Firefly

“Take my babies and give them away!”

“What?”

“My father must not find out about them! Please, Nanny!”

“Okay but don’t you want to see them for the last time?”

She looked on with a sad face. Her two newborn twins were wailing at the top of their lungs. She took both them in her arms and embraced them gently. The twin girls were just born 15 minutes ago. She didn’t want to give them away but she didn’t have a choice. Her father would kill them if he knew.

“I’m sorry, babies. I can’t take you with me. But please know that I love you very much.”

She kissed them tenderly on their foreheads before reluctantly gave them to the nanny. The old lady quickly bundled them up and got her sons to bring them somewhere.

“Hyori, are you sure about this?”

The nanny asked for one last time. The mother of the twins just couldn’t do anything. She nodded her head sadly. But unknown to them, Hyori’s father was listening from outside the door all the time. He knew his daughter was going to deliver the twins. He quickly made his way to the living room and waited for the two boys who were supposed to bring the girls away.

He stopped them and beckoned them to come over. The two boys were terrified and quickly ran towards him. He closed his study room door behind them and sat in front of the two trembling boys.

“What do you have there in your hands?”

The two boys kept mum. They were afraid of Old Lee.

“Speak up.”

“These are Miss Lee Hyori’s newborn twins.”

One of them spoke up immediately after hearing the intensity of Old Lee’s voice.

“Bring them to me.”

“But Sir..”

“Give them to me! And if she asked, just said you have given them away.”

The two boys were hesitant but Old Lee moved his jacket away. The revelation of two pistols neatly tucked on both sides of his ribs triggered the fear for the old man. The two boys didn’t have much choice. They placed the babies on the sofa and left the room immediately.

Old Lee sat comfortably on his arm chair. One of the girls had her eyes open while the other was sleeping comfortably beside her twin sister. The old man stood up from his chair and walked over to his grand-daughters. He picked up one of them – the one with her eyes open. She was beautiful. He cuddled the little baby tightly.

“Your mother thought I wanted to kill you. How could I do that when you’re just this adorable? But I’m sorry that I couldn’t let you stay with us.”

He kissed his grand-daughter’s head gently before kissing the other twin. He then walked over to his table and took out two necklaces. Old Lee was an avid collector of fireflies. He had these specially done for his grand-children and he was going to give the necklaces to his twin grand-daughters.

“This is called FireFly Necklace. It will glow at the point where you need help the most. And maybe one day, one fine day, we will meet again.”

Old Lee was exceptionally gentle to his twin grand-daughters. People fear him because of his merciless ways of killing people. But not tonight, Old Lee was just like any other grandfather; thrilled to become a first time grandfather.

*

Mr Hwang has been married for 35 years. But unfortunately, he and his wife weren’t blessed with a child for the last 35 years. He couldn’t give her any children because of his handicap. But the wife was still faithful to him. He was extremely grateful to her. They have been living in poverty – food was scarce. Mr Hwang could only find odd labouring jobs to meet day to day expenses.

“It’s okay if we cannot have children. We’re poor. I don’t think we can afford to have one in the first place.”

But Mr Hwang knew his wife longed to have a child. And he felt lousy for not able to give her one. But all that changed when he woke up one morning to find a bundle outside their house.

He was stunned when he saw a tiny baby girl wrapped neatly with a pink towel. He saw a letter in it. He was surprised.

“Please take care of this baby. I have given some cash for her expenses. I know you want to have a child. Please, raise this girl just like your own daughter.”

“Dear, come here quick!”

He started screaming for his wife. The lady was surprised when she saw a baby in her husband’s arms.

“Did you steal someone’s baby?”

“Don’t be ridiculous! I found her on our door step.”

“What?”

“Look!”

He shoved the letter into his wife’s hands. She was tearing up when she realized the truth.

“How could someone do such thing to the poor baby?”

She gently took the baby girl into her arms. The little one cuddled closely to her. She kissed her gentle cheeks.

“She’s beautiful.”

“Someone left a huge sum of money for her expenses.”

“Put it in the bank, dear. Put it under her name.”

“That’s a great idea. But she has no name yet.”

“Let’s name her Tiffany then.”

Mr Hwang nodded his head.

“Tiffany Hwang. That’s a nice name!”

“Of course it is and it suits her perfectly well.”

Mr Hwang has never seen his wife’s wide smile before. He knew Baby Tiffany would bring a lot of joy to his wife and in his life as well.

*

Mr & Mrs Jung have 2 sons – Yunho and Yonghwa. The Jungs were one of the richest families in the small town. Yonghwa was a little spoilt as he was the youngest in the family. He got away most of the time but not anymore. One afternoon, his mother walked in with a bundle in her arms. Yonghwa was surprised.

“What’s that?”

“Yonghwa, Yunho, I have someone to show you.”

Yunho went over to his mom while Yonghwa jumped from one sofa to another. He almost crashed into his mother’s arms when his father caught hold of him.

“Be careful! Mommy’s carrying a baby.”

“A baby!?”

The two boys echoed together.

Mrs Jung has always wanted to have a daughter. But after facing difficulties during Yonghwa’s pregnancy, Mrs Jung was unable to conceive anymore. She was really upset.  But not anymore, Mr Jung was approached by someone. He was offered a baby girl. His wife immediately agreed to take the little girl in.

“You’re going to be a brother to a little sister.”

Yunho was clearly excited having a younger sister but not Yonghwa. He was not really interested in her.

“Yonghwa, you have to be gentle with her, okay?”

The boy cringed. He didn’t really like it when his mother fussed over the baby more than him. He disliked the new intruder.

“I don’t like her, hyung.”

He complained to Yunho.

“Why not? Little Sooyeon is really cute.”

Yunho was completely taken in.

“She’s not our real sister!”

“Who cares? Mommy and Daddy love her as much as they love us.”

That was the truth. And that was the same reason why Yonghwa hates Jessica.

“I hate her.”

Yonghwa whispered to himself in the midst of the fuss his family showered on the new baby. She stole his place.

*

20 years later...

Tiffany POV

“Fany ah, it’s time for school.”

Tiffany quickly grabbed her school bag and ran towards the kitchen. Her mother has laid out so much food on the table. And all of it was meant for her.

“Mom, that’s a lot!”

“Today is your first day at the university. I don’t want you to get hungry.”

“But I cannot possibly finish them all!”

Tiffany knew her family was poor but yet her parents were willing to spend so much money on her. She was still sceptical before if she should continue studies at the university. But her father insisted. He worked so hard to put food on the table.

“Fany ah, these foods are bought by your father before he left for work. You know how much he dotes on you.”

“Omma, I don’t need to eat so much. I’ll just eat the peanut butter sandwich. The rest, we could eat later for dinner. Tell Daddy not to buy so much food anymore.”

Her mother smiled widely. Her daughter has always been thoughtful and mindful about them.  Tiffany leaned closer and kissed her forehead.

“Mom, I know you meant well. But we don’t really have much. Let’s not spend everything on me. I know you and Daddy skip your meals because of me. We’re family. I will just eat whatever you put on the table. You don’t have to treat me like a little princess.”

But what Tiffany didn’t know was, she was a god-send to her parents. She was just so precious that her mother never wanted to let Tiffany leave her sight even once. But the baby girl’s all grown up now.

“Tiffany ah, you’re our precious little girl.”

“I know Mom. I love you so much.”

“Okay, hurry. You’ll be late for first day of school. Do you have enough money?”

“Mom, I have enough. I’m leaving now.”

Tiffany left the house right after her mother bid her goodbye. She was in a good mood. She was going to the university she had set eyes on since high school.

“This is going to be a brand new start of my life. I hope it will go well.”

She smiled widely.

*

 

 

 

Jessica POV

Jung Soo Yeon has grown up beautifully. Her parents gave her an English name – Jessica Jung. She has the beauty and the brains. Jessica was the only Jung who managed to enter into one of the prestigious universities in Seoul much to her elder brother’s chagrin. Yonghwa made her his biggest nemesis.

She was preparing for her first day in university. Everyone in the family was excited for her including her eldest brother – Yunho.

“Sica ah, are you ready?”

Yunho called out for her.

“Yes Oppa. I’ll be ready in 10 minutes.”

“I’ll wait for you downstairs. Hurry up okay? Let’s have breakfast before I send you to school.”

“Okay!”

Yunho was protective of her. Despite not having any blood relation with him, Yunho was really proud of his little baby sister. Yonghwa was staring at him.

“Hyung, why do you have to be so nice to her? And why are you sending her to university? She can drive by herself.”

“It’s along the way to Daddy’s office anyway. What’s wrong with you?”

“Dad and Mom wouldn’t stop praising her yesterday during dinner. So what if she entered the international university in Seoul? We did attend university too.”

“Only Elite students can enter that university. You do know how much this means to Daddy?”

“Ah, whatever. This is annoying. She’s not even our real sister!”

“Shh!”

Yunho quickly covered Yonghwa’s mouth. He was staring his younger brother down.

“Jessica doesn’t know about this. And our parents have already warned us not to let Jessica know. Can you not get into Dad’s bad books this morning?”

Yunho was worried for Yonghwa. He was apparently the black sheep of the family.

“You better not make Dad pissed off again. He might cut off your allowance totally if you’re not careful. You want that to happen?”

Yonghwa was often threatened that way. He was spendthrift and his father gave him the biggest amount of allowance compared to his other siblings. Even Jessica didn’t get so much. The girl declined to receive such enormous amount. Yonghwa thought she was being a show off.

But he didn’t have much choice. He was still reliant on his father. So if his father cut off his allowance, Yonghwa might not able to survive. He reluctantly nodded his head.

“Good, now let’s go and have breakfast. Do you need a lift later?”

“I’ll drive myself. I don’t think I can sit in the same car with her.”

Yonghwa rolled his eyes before walking away. Yunho just shook his head. Just then, Jessica came out from her room. The eldest brother was taken aback.

“Oppa? I thought you went down?”

“Ah, I was waiting for you.”

“Aw, that’s so sweet.”

“Come, let’s go. Are you ready?”

“YES!”

Jessica’s smile was perfect. It made Yunho’s day immediately. Jessica was always grateful towards Yunho. She knew about Yonghwa’s dislike towards her. And Yunho was the one who would rescue her. Unknown to the two boys, Jessica knew she was adopted. She overheard their conversation before when they were younger.

But Jessica never told her family that she knew. There must be a reason for her to be adopted and her adopted parents have been doting on her. She wouldn’t want to hurt them by asking the truth about her parentage. She was always careful with her words around Yonghwa. Whatever Yonghwa did to her, Jessica would just bite her tongue and move on in her own stride.

Once they were younger, Yonghwa tried to drown her at the swimming pool. She knew he did it on deliberately but Yunho thwarted his plan. He rescued Jessica and told their parents the truth. Yonghwa was beaten up quite badly by his father who fuelled the hatred towards Jessica even more.

Since then, Jessica avoided Yonghwa’s path. And Yunho was always by her side. Despite getting the brunt from Yonghwa, Jessica remained grateful. He wasn’t that bad. He just felt out of place ever since her arrival.

“Sica?”

Jessica snapped out from her thoughts and turned. Yunho was concerned.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, Oppa. I’m fine.”

“You were so quiet. I thought you’re sick or something.”

“I’m alright. I’m just nervous.”

“Aw, my genius baby sister is actually nervous about school?”

Jessica smacked his arm gently.

“Hey, I’m still a human after all.”

“Don’t be mad. I was just kidding.”

“I’m not. Let’s go for breakfast. Daddy and Mommy are waiting.”

Jessica nodded her head as she followed Yunho from behind. She smiled to herself when her big brother was attentive to her needs.

She just couldn’t ask for more. This is her family after all.

*