Behind That Cheerful Grin

The Office Life of BTS

It was a normal day in the office. The sun was shining, the sky was clear, the birds were singing their morning song, and the all-too-smiley Hoseok was practically skipping down the street to work, although he was an hour early.

But, before he went to the office, he made a quick stop at a certain ultra-hyper coworker's house.

Walking up to Taehyung's front porch, he cheerfully rapped on the door.

"Taehyungie~? It's time for work~"

No response.

Hoseok sighed and straightened his suit. So he was going to do this the hard way today, huh?

He bent down to examine the lock. It hadn't been changed since the last time this happened. Good. Hoseok fished out a strangely shaped wire out of his back pocket and slid it into the lock with expertise, as if he had done this a million times before. After some jiggling it around and clicking, the contraption unlocked, the door swung open, and he smiled brightly. That wasn't as difficult as the last few times.

Now, this might be called breaking in and entering, but Hoseok preferred the words 'an unexpected friendly visit'. He stepped inside, checking the burglar alarm before taking off his shoes and walking towards Taehyung's bedroom.

"Taehyungie~~? Are you playing hide-and-seek with me? You know I don't like hide-and-seek, Taetae..." he called, looking upstairs.

He opened Taehyung's bedroom door and his smile didn't fade a bit although his mood went from mildly annoyed yet happy to downright angry.

Taehyung was sprawled across his bed, only in his underwear, (which Hoseok was used to seeing) while a certain short, muscled, and racy '95 liner was sleeping with him, loosely hugging his arm.

Hoseok briskly walked over and threw Jimin off the bed.

"Agh- What the-?!" he spluttered as he was woken up by the impact of being slammed into the wall. (Luckily, there were a few plushies there to break his fall)

Hobie motioned for him to shush, his everlasting smile a little creepier than normal. "I'll deal with you later."

He turned back to Taehyung, ruffling his hair. "Did my little dongsaeng have fun last night~?"

The alien growled sleepily in response and rolled over. Hoseok pursed his lips... and then roughly yanked on his hair.

"You'd better explain to me right this instant why that adorable worm is in your bedroom right now or else we might have a little accident, ok darling?"

 

The two '95 liners sat on the sofa, side by side as Hoseok sat on the sofa across from them, nodding his head thoughtfully, and smiling a little.

Taehyung was now dressed in a wrinkled tee and shorts, and Jimin was wearing his rumpled work clothes from the day before, as he hadn't brought any spare change. They were both fidgeting and silently praying that their heads would stay on their necks.

"So, you expect me to believe that Jimin had nowhere to go that night since he missed his bus because he was working overtime... so you let him sleep over with you?"

They nodded in unision.

Hobie thought it over. "Okay then, I won't murder you... but you'll have to promise me a little something."

"Wh-What?" Jimin asked, starting to cling onto Taetae's arm a little.

Hoseok stood up, making them both jump, and grinned. "Never sleep-"

He smacked Jimin's hand away from Taehyung's arm. "-with my Taehyung-"

Then he grabbed his bag and slung it over his shoulder. "-ever again."

He swiftly left and slammed the door, leaving the two alone and shivering in fear, but relieved that they were both still alive. After a minute or two, when they were sure that Hoseok was gone, Jimin let out an exhausted sigh.

"Thanks for letting me stay over, though. I'm always missing the bus." he said.

Taehyung fixed his hair. "No problem."

There was a moment of silence as Jimin slowly got up to get his things. The alien looked at him from the corner of his eye, glaring at him a little. This was one of the rare times that Tae was being logical, and, well, sane for once.

He looked at Jimin. "Why're you following that old man around?"

Jimin pretended to ignore him. "What old man?"

Taehyung rested his head on his hand. "Min Yoongi." he said impatiently. "Why?"

The sharp-eyed one paused and looked at the paper in his hands, which he had to finish translating by tonight.

"Because I felt like it."

Tae flopped down on the couch. "Weren't you gonna to go into dance or somethin'? Wasn't that what you really wanted to do?"

Jimin shook his head about Taehyung's simple-mindedness. Taehyung had never experienced love before, and was a lot less mature than he was, so he didn't blame him for questioning him like this.

He carefully slipped the paper into his manbag. "It's not about what I want to do..."

The alien shifted around. "Why not? You're supposed to do what you wanna do in life, right?"

Jimin looked out the window. "In a way, this is what I want to do."

"Work in a run-down office that doesn't give good pay? I don't get it..."

He messed up Taehyung's hair again. "You won't understand."

Taetae puffed out his cheeks and fixed his hair again. "Hey!!"

While Taehyung meticulously started to comb out his lavender hair with his fingers, Jimin sighed in frustration and glanced around.

"Hey, Tae?"

The alien grunted in reply.

"Can I borrow one of your suits for the day? I don't have extra change..."

He grunted again. Jimin took this as a yes, and opened his closet, glancing inside and picking out a black pinstriped one with a gray tie.

"Thanks," he said as he went to the bathroom to change and get ready.

 

Seokjin sighed and pressed 'Print' on the printer for the fiftieth time. The one he had back home that was the latest model worked perfectly, was sleek and black, was nicely designed, and had a touch screen. This one at the office barely passed for decent and the buttons stuck all the time. Not to mention, it kept shutting down after it printed ONE SHEET. What kind of a printer was this?

He leaned back on the wall and tried to ignore the annoyingly loud noises of the machine as it struggled to print the remaining papers. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the '95 line walk past, chatting loudly about something. The only words he could catch was 'retarded', 'job', and 'old man'. Seokjin was about to turn to look but the printer shut down again. He gritted his teeth and pressed 'Print' for the fifty-first time...

"Why won't this damn printer work?!"

Jungkook heard a muffled shout from down the hall. It must be the new guy... normally the other hyungs would just swear at the thing until they were done.

He put down the stack of blank paper that he was carrying, (he was, after all, the strongest among them, so he normally did that kind of stuff) stretched, and started towards the printer room while rubbing the back of his head to fix his hair.

When he went through the door the first thing he saw was Seokjin standing in the corner with his face buried in the wall. Jungkook leaned against the doorframe and grinned a little.

"Is the printer giving you a rough time?"

Seokjin turned around and met eyes with the maknae. "Uh, yeah."

He was flustered after knowing that someone saw him when he was not composed and, well, business-like. It was bad for one to lose face around an office-type setting, as it made you seem less serious and dependable, at least, in the fancy places he worked it was so. And especially having a minor seeing him like this. It truly was embarassing.

The printer suddenly started making weird clicking noises, and then after a series of clacking and sputtering sounds, it let out a loud, extremely high-pitched whine, making Seokjin cringe and cover his ears. Jungkook winced as well, and quickly slapped the 'off' button on the printer.

Except... the printer didn't turn off. Instead, the whine grew even louder, and Jungkook said something to him, but Seokjin couldn't hear.

"What?!" He yelled back, and the maknae shouted at him, but his ears still failed to catch what he was saying.

In the end, Jungkook sighed in exasperation and dragged him out of the room, grabbing at his wrist and just took him out, closing the door behind them.

"I said, that means that the printer's dead." The maknae said.

Seokjin looked back at the room sadly. "But I wasn't even close to done yet..."

Jungkook smiled. "It gives you an excuse to skip out on work, though."

"Skip out on work?" He repeated incredulously. "That's bound to get you fired!"

"Not here." Jungkook said. "C'mon, let's go out for brunch."