Airport

Always at your side

 

 

Daehyun sat in his chair, staring blankly out the window facing the runway.

So this is it...

He came, he'd found her, he'd tried.

What else could he do?

He felt sad, empty, and broken. 

 

He glanced at his watch. Only 20 minutes until it was time to begin boarding the plane.

Daehyun sighed, closing his eyes and rolling his neck.

He hadn't slept well since he'd arrived in the States.

He lay awake for hours at night thinking, trying to figure out what else he could possibly do.

He couldn't just let her slip away like this...

He couldn't accept the idea that this was the end of it.

But he didn't know what else he could do.

He'd left her a letter telling her exactly how he felt and what he wanted. 

The ball was in her court now...he had no choice but to let her decide.

After all, he'd caused a lot of pain....

He kept telling himself, the best he could do would be to apologize, explain himself, and let her know his true feelings.

That's what he came to do, and that's what he'd done.

It was all up to her now.

 

About 10 minutes before boarding time, Daehyun got up, grabbed his bag, and moved closer to the window, watching as one of the planes took off.

He bit his lip, feeling a lump rising in his throat. He knew, once he got on that plane, that was it. He wouldn't be able to talk to or see her again, unless she reached out to him, which at this point seemed highly unlikely.

Just then, over the intercom, the announcement was made for his flight to begin gathering at the gate.

He looked down at his phone, pulling up the picture of Ellie again.

"I'm so sorry." he said softly as he affectionately caressed her photo with his thumb.

Dae closed his eyes, heaved a deep sigh and turned, moving in the direction he needed to go.

He got in line with the rest of the passengers and waited as they were checked in one by one.

A large part of him wanted to stay, to get out of line and find Ellie and try to reason with her again...but he knew that wasn't the right thing to do. It was her choice, he'd said everything he needed to say. He wouldn't be doing anything but repeating it, ...and adding pressure, which was not what he wanted to do. 

She'd let him have his space when he needed it...he needed to let her have her space.

He stared blankly down at his passport in hand as the line inched forward.

He held his breath, trying to keep his emotions from overwhelming him.

Little by little the line moved forward until it was finally his turn.

The attendant took his ticket and said something but he didn't even hear it.

This was it.

This...was it....

 

"Dae!" a voice called out.

He'd heard it, but it didn't register, not until the second time.

"Daehyun!!" came the voice again, more urgently this time.

His head snapped up, eyes moving in the direction he'd heard the voice. 

Ellie.

She was standing maybe 20 feet from him, tears in her eyes, face flushed from running.

Without hesitation, he jumped over the divider, leaving his ticket in the attendants hands, his bag on the floor, and ran to her.

He stopped in front of her, only a foot between them.

"Ellie, what's wrong, are you okay?" he asked, his hands resting on her arms.

She stood there, crying, trying to catch her breath.

"Is something wrong Ellie?" he asked worried.

"Yes." she sobbed. 

He waited, impatiently.

"I...I lied Daehyun."

He looked at her confused. "What are you talking about?"

As she tried to get her emotions under control, Dae looked about, and took her by the hand, leading her away from the crowd down the nearest hall where it was quieter, just the two of them.

"What's going on El?" he asked again.

She sniffed and wiped the tears from her cheeks before continuing. "I lied! I love you Daehyun, and I want to be with you, no matter how difficult it may be." she blurt.

He stood, stunned and speechless as he began to process what she'd said.

Was this real? Had she really just said that?

He'd imagined this scenario so many times over the last couple days, maybe his mind was playing tricks on him.

Before he could react, she cupped his face with her hands and leaned in, standing on tip-toe, pressing to his.

He stood, frozen for a moment as it began to sink in.

She was here, she was really here, standing in front of him, telling him she loved him and she wanted to be together.

"I love you, I love you so much..." she sobbed. "I was scared, I was afraid i was going to ruin everything for you, i was afraid you'd hate me, and I'd rather not be with you than have you hate me, i couldn't bear to have you hate me Dae."

He couldn't believe it.

Finally coming out of shock, he wrapped his arms around her, embracing her tightly, as he returned her kiss.

"You fool." he said gently. " I could never hate you."

Her arms were around him, clutching the back of his shirt in her fists.

They remained that way for several moments, Dae gently rocking as he held her.

When they finally pulled apart, they were both crying.

"You scared me to death." Dae said barely above a whisper. "I thought that was it, I though i'd never see you again...." He caressed her cheek gently with his thumb. "I felt like i was dying."

"I know, and i'm sorry." she cried. "I'm so sorry. I should've waited for you. I never should have left home."

 

"Sir!" the attendant called out coming around the corner. "Sir, are you coming?"

Dae gazed into Ellie's face, then to the attendant. 

"Yes, just a moment."

He turned back to Ellie. "I don't want to go." he said, his brow furrowing as the tears continued to fall on his cheeks.

"Sir the plane is leaving soon, I can't wait much longer." the attendant insisted.

Ellie shook her head, giving a reassuring smile. "Go, finish what you have to do."

He frowned. "I'm sorry." he said sadly. "As soon as I get you back I have to leave."

She shook her head. "It's my fault, I shouldn't have been so stubborn."

He cupped her face, bringing his mouth to hers again, then he kissed her cheek, her forehead, the top of her head, back to her cheek again.

She held onto his arms as he kissed her.

He kissed her lips again, then wrapped his arms around her shoulders, pulling her against himself, and brought his mouth to her ear, speaking softly.

"Come home." he pleaded. "I'll be back in a week...please come back home Ellie."

She buried her face in his chest, a smile on her lips, happy to feel his warmth, enjoying his embrace.

"I'm already making arrangements...give me some time to tie up loose ends here."

He smiled so wide it made his face hurt.

"I'll be there when you get back." he said.

"You better be."

"And I'll call you everynight until then, I swear." he promised.

"I'll be waiting."

"Sir!" called the attendant again.

"god I don't want to let go Ellie." he said squeezing her tighter.

"It's ok Dae." she reassured him cupping his face with her hands. "Nothing will keep me from coming home to you. I'll see you in a couple days."

"I love you Ellie." he said wiping the tears from his face.

"I know you do Daehyun. I love you too. I'll see you back home soon. I promise." She leaned in placing one last kiss on his cheek, and smiled, looking up into his face.

He nodded and sniffed, smiling at her. "Soon." he agreed smiling. "We're going to be together so much you'll be sick of me."

With that, he gave her one last hug and ran to the attendant, taking his ticket and picking up his bag, walking backward down the hall, waving to Ellie as he went.

 

Finally, things were beginning to turn around.