Don't Make the Same Mistake

It Feels Like I Have Everything

I took a few personal days off of work to pull myself together. Those days were spent mostly in my room trying to calm my thoughts. My road to a comfortable life had come to a screeching hault with no warning or alternate route. How was I going to get into a meaningful relationship and not fall even more behind in my life plan?

And my friends and family weren't much help those days either. They were elated to hear I was no longer dating Minjoon, but disappointed with the fact that he broke up with me, not the other way around. I knew this was the response I would get. I knew it would have been a waste of time to try and turn to them for support, but I couldn't stop myself.

When I had my next shift at the coffee shop, it had been about two weeks since Minjoon had made a scene. So I was hoping nothing would be said when I came into work, but I obviously expected too much from my coworker.

"Are you holding up okay?" She asked as I put on my apron.

I nodded. "Yeah I'm fine. How have things been here? Have I missed anything?"

She shook her head. "Not really. A lot of the regulars have been asking about you though." I saw a pout begin to form on her face. "Even Leo oppa."

I tried not to seem so shocked. "He was asking about me?"

"He didn't really until last week. I think he was afraid you had quit or something had happened to you. His expression changed when I told him you took some personal time to get over your break up."

That made me feel a bit better about coming in to work today. I had developed small relationships with our customers and I hadn't even taken much notice. It would be kind of rude if I hadn't become at least acquaintances with our regulars. However hearing that Leo had been worried about me gave me butterflies in my stomach.

NO. Stop it, Kwang Sookjoo. Don't do this to yourself. That's how you got yourself into this kind of mess. Those butterflies are not really how you feel. That's just you falling for someone who was nice to you. That's how you fell for Minjoon. You just got out of a relationship. Don't be jumping into another one.

But with Leo, I wouldn't be able to. From what I've picked up on his personality, and a little from what my coworker had mentioned while fangirling, he isn't the type of person to date someone so quickly or without liking them just as much or more than they like him. He seemed like the kind of person who thought everything through carefully before acting or speaking.

Why can't you be that way, Kwang Sookjoo?

I was pulled from my thoughts when low and behold VIXX's main vocalist walked through the front door.

"Leo oppa, look who's back!"

"YAH!" I scolded her with a hushed tone.

Leo seemed to chuckle and smiled at me. "Are you feeling well?"

I felt a blush creep onto my cheecks and I looked down at the counter. "Yes. I feel a little bit better. Thank you again for standing up for me."

Leo nodded and handed me the money he owed, notifying me that he wanted his regular order. I set to work on his drink and noticed that he had seated himself at his typical table. Normally he would wait at the counter and have me hand it to him. Guess I would have to take it over to him today. I grabbed a tray and placed the drink on it before stepping out from behind the counter. If I couldn't feel the jealousy seething from my coworker I'm sure her side glare would have given her away. This was totally out of character for Leo, from what we've seen of him anyways.

"Something on your mind today?" I teased as I set his drink down in front of him.

Leo looked up at me. His gaze was soft and the light from the window almost gave him an angelic appearance. I could tell he had something to say to me, it just seemed he wasn't sure how to put his thoughts into words. I waited patiently for him to speak. It wasn't like the cafe was busy anyways. His eyes lit up and I anticipated to hear his thoughts.

"Has that man contacted you?"

 That was it? It took him that long to say that? Was Korean not his native language and that's the only sentence he could translate in his head? No. No, he wasn't the memeber that fans said resembled a foreigner. But that's not what's important right now. Answer the man's question, Kwang Sookjoo.

"N...No he hasn't." Why did I stutter?

Leo nodded. I wasn't sure if that was all he had to ask or if he was trying to word his next question. He looked content so I took that as a queue to leave.

"Wait." I turned back and looked at Leo. His stare had gone from sincere to serious. "Don't ever waste your time on guys like him again. They are not worth it." He paused again. "A sweet girl like you can do a lot better."

I felt a blush creep onto my face. I bowed and thanked him before I ran back behind the counter.

"What was all that about?" My coworker asked. I knew she would try and easedrop but Leo spoke so softly she of course couldn't hear from the counter.

"He was seeing if I have talked to Minjoon since he barged in here." I told her.

"He's not interested in you, is he?" I could hear some irritation in her voice and I knew she was jealous.

"No." I shook my head and chuckled.

Leo would never be interested in someone like me. He was way out of my league.

And yet his words haunted me for the rest of the week. A sweet girl like you can do a lot better. Could I really do better? How did Leo know anyways? He barely knew me. Actually he knows nothing about me. I could probably list off a number of things about him. Well, I could just google him too. That'd be weird though.

Anyways, really though. What did Leo know? Did he have a lot of dating experience? Was he dating someone? He was doing well to keep it hidden, if he was, becaus my cowoker would have said something. Plus I'm sure it'd be a scandal.

"Hello, Sookjoo? Are you here?" my coworker snapped her fingers in front of my face. "You look really confused. Think I can help?"

I shook my head. "It's nothing. Thanks."

We began to clean up as much as we could seeing as we still had over an hour left before close. Leo was still sitting at his normal table. He had his second drink half finished in front of him. So he'd probably be leaving soon, either by his own free will or by his group's leader dragging him out again.

"Why don't you head home?" I faced my coworker. "I can handle closing myself."

"Really? AH! Thank you!" Within seconds, her apron was off and she was headed for the door. "Goodnight Leo oppa! Goodnight Sookjoo!"

I waved goodbye to her before picking up a damp rag to start wiping down tables. No one was going to come in to sit down and drink their coffee at this hour anyways. I started at the table furtherest away from Leo's table, figuring by the time I got to that table anyways he would be done and leave. Well, Mr. Jung was just full of surprises this week because he sat there even after he had finished his drink. Was he waiting for me?

"Something wrong, Leo?" I asked him. Maybe he didn't want to go back to his dorm. Maybe something was bothering him.

Leo shook his head. "I was just making sure you were okay alone. A girl like you shouldn't be alone at this time of night. All the bad guys will take advantage."

I scoffed. "I can protect myself. Thank you though."

"Did you know your ex was a bad guy when you started dating him?" Where did that come from.

"Jung Taekwoon, where is this all coming from? Why are you being so nosy?" I tossed my rag on the table and placed my hands on my hips. "I'm thankful that you are worried about me but this is getting to be a little much."

He rolled his eyes. "Things happen when they are supposed to happen. The more you try to control, the less control you really have." He looked at me and motioned for me to sit down.

"I'll stand, but PLEASE do continue." I was kind of irritated that he was now seeming to lecture me about my life choices. I didn't need to hear from him how much of a failure I am. I knew that well enough on my own.

"You think you have to have everything in order by a certain time but that just shows that you aren't ready for anything. Jumping into relationships doesn't make them meaningful. So what if you don't have your life together yet? You're young. You have plenty of time and even when you're thirty you will have time to get your life in order. You have a lifetime to get your life together." He must have thought this all through before because he spoke without much pause and his stare never broke from mine.

"Maybe for you all that is true, however this is a promise I have made to myself. I intend to keep it."

Leo held his hands up and rose from his seat. "All I can ask is for you to think about what I have said. I can't control what you do."

And with that, he tossed out his cup and left me alone in the cafe.

 

 

A/N: Hello readers, I'm sorry it took so long for an update. I won't be able to update as often as I would like with this story and I'm still trying to figure out exactly how I want this to go. I am also trying to work on another story idea I had that'll also be featuring Leo in it. It'll be a series of one shots, I'm thinking, so please do anticipate them once I finally get those worked out as well. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this update. Please all have a happy holidays!