Maybe I Should Settle

It Feels Like I Have Everything
I was ready to settle - settle into a career, settle down with a family - because it seemed that I wasn't meant for anything more glamorous than what l already had. The thought of pushing back my life plan even just a few more years filled my head with doubts and anxiety. I wanted to fulfill my dreams in life now. What if something happened tomorrow and took away all of my opportunities?  I couldn't live with the thought of not achieving even one of my goals.
 
So I dated the first guy that had one or two things in common with me and liked me back. He wasn't bad looking, a little under groomed at times but I could over look that. We were complete opposites - me being a clean and organized, him being sloppy and disheveled. But our relationship was honestly great. He accepted me and I accepted him. Yeah sometimes we had disagreements but every couple does. My friends and family never approved of him. They were afraid he would rob me of all my money seeing as I worked two jobs and he could barely hold down one. I can't even count how many times I have been told to break up with him anymore.
 
Yeah, I wasn't 100% happy with my life but I had everything I wanted. I had a boyfriend, a job, and a comfortable lifestyle. Who was entirely happy with every aspect of their life anyways?
 
I worked twelve hour shifts three times a week at my coffee shop job, leaving Minjoon,  my boyfriend, at home alone to care for himself. I wouldn't have needed to take the longer shifts if he hadn't lost his most recent job. He told me he was spending his new free time looking for a new job and I foolishly believed him.
 
The coffee shop was located right around the corner from one of the entertainment companies. I could never remember the name of it. They had some foreign word for a name. However I did know a few of their artists personally.  Seo Inguk popped if for a good while when he had some down time. Some of the company's trainees would stop too after a long day. They were all very polite when they would come in. If they had time to spare, they would chat for a bit or sit down at a table. One in particular always came in and sat down for at least an hour if he could. I had learned from a coworker that he was the main vocalist in a group called VIXX and his stage name was Leo.
 
He never said much. I barely heard his voice when he ordered an americano or latte, depending on the day, and he always either bowed his head or mumbled a small thank you before going to his usual seat located by the window that was facing the busy street. Some days I would watch him. He wouldn't look at his phone or listen to music or anything. He would just sit and sip on his drink, collected in his own thoughts. 
 
My one coworker would always get extremely flustered when he came in. She was a huge fan of VIXX and Leo was fully aware. She had made it quite clear the first time he came in when she was working that he was her bias and since then he would kindly smile at her.
 
"Isn't he just perfect? I wish he would say something to me when he came in and not just his order." She sighed one day as we looked over that the handsome man in his normal seat.
 
"Well this is probably the only quiet time he gets. You can't blame him for not talking to us." I told her. "And besides, aren't you like 15? He's a grown man."
 
"Age won't keep true love apart." She rested her chin in her hands as she leaned on the counter.
 
"Keep your dreams, kid. I hope you'll never be disappointed."
 
Or else she'd end up like me.
 
When I finally arrived home from work that night, I could not find Minjoon anywhere in our apartment. I tried calling his cellphone but I got no answer. Maybe he had a job interview,  I thought, but I knew it wasn't true. It was currently 10:37 pm.
 
Minjoon did not return home that night and I feared my family and friends were right about him. He hadn't taken any of his things - he didn't have that much to begin with - so I had faith that he may have just spent the night at a friend's house.
 
"Are you feeling okay? You look terrible." My coworker noted.
 
"I'm fine. It's just my boyfriend hasn't contacted me in a day and I'm worried."
 
"He wasn't home when you left?"
 
I shook my head. "He must if left before I got off of work last night because I came home to an empty apartment."
 
The doorbell jingled, notifying us that a customer had just walked in. I greeted them and looked up to see that it was Leo. I took his order and made his drink before turning back to my coworker. 
 
"Do you think he may have left me a note?" I asked her. 
 
"If it were me I would have sent you a text. " I noticed she was staring past me at Leo so I came to the conclusion that this conversation was over.
 
I pulled out my phone and decided to send Minjoon one more text in hopes of a reply. And I got my reply alright, however it wasn't via text. About 20 minutes after I had sent the text, Minjoon came storming into the coffee shop.
 
"Can't you take a hint?" He yelled. "Leave me alone! I haven't answered you for a reason!"
 
"What are you talking about? What is your reason? If I knew I wouldn't have tried so hard to get ahold of you." I hoped if I spoke calmly it would calm him down. He had made enough of an entrance. I didn't want anyone to be disturbed by him.
 
"I'm done with you! We're over!" I could see my coworker slip away to the back out of the corner of my eye.
 
"But you're stuff is still..."
 
"I just picked up the last of it. The apartment is all yours!" 
 
This was just happening all too sudden. "Did I do something wrong?" 
 
Minjoon scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I dated you out pity. You were so pathetic when I met you. You were going to jump into a relationship with anyone,  weren't you?" I looked down at my feet. "Who would want to date you? You're never around. You're clingy. You're helpless, Kwang Sookjoo." 
 
I tried my best to fight back my tears as I lifted my head to look at Minjoon. "I'm sorry that I was a burden to you."
 
Minjoon scoffed again. "You were more than a burden, you selfish..." He was silenced by the sound of a chair scraping across the floor.
 
We both looked over to see Leo had rose from his seat and had both of his hands on the table. We watched silently as he made his way over to us before he stopped in front of Minjoon. 
 
"Can I help you?"
 
" You shouldn't talk to her in such a way. Sounds like you are ungrateful for all she's done for you." Leo pulled out his wallet and handed me some money. "Can you please make me another drink? I think I'm staying longer today."
 
"Who do you think you are?  You don't know anything!"
 
"I think I know how to treat someone I'm dating and you obviously don't." Leo towered slightly over Minjoon.  I knew him well enough to know Minjoon was going to back down any second now. 
 
"Whatever. This isn't worth my time. I'm leaving." Called it.
 
Minjoon stormed out just as he had stormed in and I handed Leo his new drink as I had seen Minjoon disappear from sight.
 
"Thank you for defending me. You didn't have to do that though. I'm sorry he disturbed you." I said. I handed Leo his money back. "It's on the house."
 
"Thank you, Sookjoo-ssi." His soft spoken gratitude made me feel a bit better. Why couldn't I have dated a guy like him?
 
Leo went back to his seat and my coworker came back up front. Not much more was said the rest of the shift. Leo stayed almost two hours later than he normally would. His phone had gone off so many times he had turned it off only to be bombard with questions by a thin, red headed man who my coworker had informed me was VIXX's leader, N. He politely greeted us as he entered and it seemed that Leo was trying his best to ignore the man pulling on his arm.
 
"Yah, Jung Taekwoon,  why did you turn off your phone. You know it's past curfew. I'm sure these lovely girls want to go home and you're keeping them here."
 
Leo said nothing as he shrugged himself out of the man's grasp and walked out the door with N at his heels, still nagging at him.
 
Returning home to my apartment that night was not easy. Half of the things were gone. Minjoon left the furniture, my chopsticks, cup, and pot, and whatever was mine in the bedroom.
 
I set my things down on the couch and didn't even bother to change my clothes before I crawled into bed. I couldn't even cry myself to sleep, as badly as I wanted to. I just stated at the ceiling until I passed out from exhaustion.