Alone (Yoonseok)

BTStories Collection

Part 1

Please, no.

“I don’t want to leave.”

His mother smiled slowly. A sad smile, Hoseok hated them. “But we need to, sweety. You will make new friends, promise. I am pretty sure that there are plenty nice children where we are going.”

Hoseok knew that. But he didn’t want to be alone. He hated being alone. He needed people around him, noise filling the gaps in his life.

Lost.

He was completely lost. Everything was too confusing, too big, too new. He missed his friends already. He missed their voices, their smiles, their smell. He missed being with them.

He needed them.
He needed someone to be around him.
He needed someone, anyone.

“Why don’t you go to the park? You will be able to make friends.” You won’t be alone anymore is what she really wanted to say.

Hoseok nodded. He needed to get out of his new house. Not his home yet, just a bunch of walls that trapped him like a cage. He needed to find something, someone.

The park was big. There were some swings in the back, quite a lot of benches and a great expansion of the greenest grass Hoseok had ever seen.

Kids. Playing, laughing, running.

They had their life, they had their games. And they didn’t involve Hoseok. Soon his friends would forget him, and they would be like these kids. Alive, without Hoseok in their life.

He wanted to cry, he wanted to go back.

He hated this new city. He hated it. He wanted to go back to his bed, to his friends, to his old class with his annoying teachers and hilarious classmates.

But he couldn’t. This was his new life; he had to deal with it.

The walls that some minutes before seemed oppressing now appeared welcoming and caring. He could return, he could lie to his mother and say that there was no one in the park. He could just say he was tired.

He could leave.
Go back.
Retreat.

This park was unfamiliar. He was just a stranger who didn’t know how to fit in.

And then, he saw him.

Alone.

Just like him.

The boy was playing by himself. He seemed fine with that. But deep inside he looked a bit sad, lonely. Exactly like Hoseok.

One was lost.
The other was alone.

They were never meant to be together, to meet each other. Destiny had different plans. They would eventually meet in school; they would be the kind of classmates that know that the other exists, but never talked.

But Hoseok didn’t know what Destiny had planned for him. He didn’t know that the children that were playing hide and seek ten metres from him had the potential of becoming his best friends. He didn’t know that his life could take a complete different turn.

But he chose another path.

“Can I play here?” He asked to the kid he decided was going to become his new friend.

Silence.

The other stared at him, analysing him.

Then, after what Hoseok thought were years, the boy opened his mouth. “Are you stupid?” were the only words that came out.

Confusion. Why stupid? Did he say something wrong? Was his accent too strong? Was he doing something incorrectly?

“Why do you say that?”

Sight. The young boy rolled his eyes. “You shouldn’t play with me. It’s the rule. Play with the others.”

Rule? Hoseok didn’t know of any rules like that. His father always said that there were three simple rules.

  1. Always obey the adults.
  2. Never go outside the house.
  3. Always be careful when you cross the streets.

There was not a rule about not making friends with other kids. There were no rules in friend making. Friend making was a weird art no one really knew much about.

So he sat. He sat next to whom he decided was going to be his best friend in this town. And Destiny sighted, and gave up. Hoseok never followed the path it gave him, so it just made a new one. One that involved Yoongi. One that involved the big park where they were sitting, where they met for the first time, where they would keep on meeting.

“You are making a mistake.” Said Hoseok’s new friend, who still didn’t know about the new arrangement. “You won’t have any friends if you stay with me.” He was so wrong.

Hoseok wanted to laugh. This boy was the one that was stupid, not him. “You are the one that is making the mistake. If I stay with you I will have one friend.” The boy looked confused.

Lost. Just like Hoseok was before. But now he knew what to do. Because he had a friend. Well, he was going to have one soon.

“Who? I can’t see anyone you could be friends with.”

So stupid and lost. Hoseok wanted to laugh at his new future friend, but that would have been quite rude. So he just smiled. He smiled as big as he could. He needed his new friend to know that he was happy, that he was happy that they were together.

That neither of them had to be alone.

Destiny just sighted again. Sometimes things don’t work out the way they are meant to, but that doesn’t mean it is the wrong way.

“You, you are going to be my friend.”  
He took a bunch of grass from the field, and handing it to Yoongi they sealed a deal. They were going to be friends. Together, forever.