Chapter 6 - Changes

Old Foes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

21 subscribers! Woot! Thank you for subscribing and reading my story. I'm sorry if I've neglected this fanfic over the last couple of weeks. I wrote this initially as a break from my other fic and from my law subjects but I never thought people would actually read it. Now I feel so guilty. So, to appease you, my dear reader, here's my next chapter. ^_^

 

 

Eun Sang was positively beaming the next few days. Her first dinner party was a success and she felt like a real proper adult. She could not help but laugh at the thought. Back in New York, she was mostly busy with her work and she didn’t really go out much. Aside from her co-workers, she didn’t know anyone else in the Big Apple so to be able to have a good laugh with friends was something rather new to her.

 

A lot has changed about her and her high school friends. They’ve come a long way in the last seven years since they graduated from Jaeguk High School and for the first time, Eun Sang didn’t feel left out among her friends because of her social standing. The evening was spent catching up, mostly.

 

Apparently, Rachel put her Cambridge art degree to good use as she is now the Creative Director for RS International and has also launched her own luxury fashion line, Rouge et Noir. Eun Sang was surprised at how much Rachel has changed. For starters, she can actually laugh now. Back in high school she was infamous for being stone cold and her chronic face was legendary. Now, she always has a ready smile on her lips, especially when Hyo Shin was around.

 

It was sickeningly adorable how sweet they were. Even Bo Na and Chan Young had to cringe a few times when the odd couple fed each other over dinner.

 

Ye Sol had acted in the UK Broadway circuit for two years after earning her Theater Arts degree in London. She got her big break in the acting scene when she starred in an indie film directed by Hyo Shin where she played the role of a young Korean immigrant who was adjusting to the vast cultural difference. The film was screened in Cannes, Toronto, Tokyo, Berlin and New York, and her performance earned accolades from critics all over the world. Following her successful film debut, she started acting in local films aside from doing major Broadway productions and she was now setting her sights on the Hollywood scene. She was just nervously waiting for the results of the audition she had a week ago for a Sophia Coppola film.

 

Eun Sang was proud of Ye Sol because she had achieved her dream and gone was the girl who was ostracized for being the daughter of bar owner. She was a top star and nothing that people say or do will ever knock her down.

 

But the real surprise for Eun Sang was the arrival of Young Do. To be honest, she never expected to see him. After all, he had expressly stated that he didn’t want to be friends with her. So when she found Young Do standing outside her door earlier that evening, she was beyond shocked. She was, nevertheless, happy to see him again and she’d be lying if she said she wasn’t looking forward to bumping into him in their apartment building.

 

***

 

Young Do stepped out of his apartment building wearing his sweatpants, a shirt and his running shoes. It was a Sunday morning and he usually went out for a run in the neighborhood. He did some stretching, put on his earphones and played Waiting in Vain by Bob Marley (he stopped listening to angry heavy metal years ago and he has now developed a liking for other genres of music, much to his mother’s relief), and began his weekend jogging routine which he had developed since he moved into his new apartment.

 

It has been a week since he saw Eun Sang but he still wore a giddy smile on his face. He couldn't help it. Even as he ran this morning, a silly grin was plastered on his face and he couldn't stop greeting everyone he met along the jogging path.

 

The morning after the dinner party with Eun Sang and his high school friends, Young Do woke up thinking that he had just dreamt of everything. It was too good to be true. But when he saw Eun Sang at the lobby of their apartment building the following morning, he finally believed in miracles.

 

Young Do was ecstatic that Eun Sang was living so close by and he was even more thankful that they had bumped into each other almost every night the following week. The first night was by coincidence but the following evenings, Young Do had to wait for at least half an hour by the lobby’s lounge before Eun Sang arrived. The night shift valet and guard were already giving him odd looks but no one dared question him.

 

This morning, he wasn’t expecting to see her but when he came back from his run, signing a delivery form while surrounded by four large boxes, he was convinced that dreams do come true. He was smiling like a giddy five year old with a bad case of sugar rush and he wanted to whoop in joy. But YoungDo is still Young Do so he controlled his emotions. He calmly walked towards Eun Sang who was now saying thanks and waving goodbye to the elderly delivery man.

 

"Good morning, neighbor," he said in a friendly tone. Young Do saw the doorman's head snap towards his direction so fast he could have sworn the old man dislocated his neck.

 

In the months that he has moved here, Young Do barely acknowledged anyone's existence. He would give the doorman and the valet a curt nod when they would bow at him in greeting but never anything more than that. He had once ordered the concierge to change the floral arrangement by the elevator but he said it exactly in three words and left. Him being all friendly and accommodating towards a new neighbor must have disoriented the staff.

 

"Oh, good morning Young Do-ah," Eun Sang greeted back brightly. Young Do felt his knees weaken and his heart skipped a beat after hearing Eun Sang say his name and greet him with her smile. He can't explain it but in his eyes, Eun Sang just glowed. He was amazed she still had that effect on him.

 

When she had called him by his name the night he stood outside her door, he nearly burst into tears. She said it in such a friendly and warm tone that he could not help but smile. She was the only one that ever called him that way, other than his mother.

 

He composed himself as he approached Eun Sang, not minding the odd stares his staff were giving him.

 

“What do you have here?” he asked casually.

 

“Oh, just stuff from Boston. They came faster than I expected,” Eun Sang said. She placed her hands on her hips and assessed the situation. Young Do just watched and smiled as Eun Sang gave a cute little pout and scrunched her brows in thought.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter