II.

Breathe

His eyesight was blurred, he could see almost nothing.

But even through the fuzzy images in his vision, he could see one thing.

The chest of the man on the stretcher just in front of him was rising and falling.

It was barely noticeable, but it was there.

He was breathing.

He was alive.

Key somehow made it to the ambulance before they closed the doors.

Because they knew who he was, and because they had heard the scandalous outburst he had just seconds ago, they let him stay in the ambulance with Jonghyun.

His eyes were closed, unconscious, but the paramedics kept assuring him that he was going to be okay. 
 

Jonghyun woke up in the hospital a week later.

A broken rib.

A sprained wrist.

Many cuts.

A lot more bruises.

But he was going to be fine.

He had somehow gotten luck on his side.

The doctors were optimistic and they expected him to make a full recovery.

Key refused to leave his side during the month Jonghyun spent at the hospital.

When Jonghyun was finally allowed to go home, he found out about the little thing Key let slip.

The broken rib he had seemed to hurt quite a bit more when he was laughing.

Taemin had managed to show him the article, much to Key's embarrassment.

"Minnie told me someone got a video of you elbowing a police officer in the face." Jonghyun smiled at Key.

"As soon as my rib's a little better, I want to see it. Okay?" Jonghyun asked a little teasingly and if he wasn't hurt already, Key would've smacked his arm.

How Jonghyun managed to joke about the situation after such a traumatic incident, Key didn't know.

Jonghyun almost seemed glad that Key had let their relationship slip.

The press had focused on the severity of the accident, but everyone knew.

And Jonghyun was sort of glad.

If it took a near death experience for people to accept him and Key, so be it.

Just as long as he could profess his love to his Key to the world, he was okay with that.

Maybe now he didn't have to worry about where he left marks.

Key was his, and now everybody knew.