Chapter VI

Impostor
 
A rainy night in Seoul didn't prevent the women from working overnight.
 
All employees have already clocked out; Minji, Bom and their boss Chaerin are still in the agency, the latter finishing paperworks while the two consolidating all intelligence reports they've received from their assets. After hours of sitting in front of the computer, Bom got up and stretched her hands.
 
"Ah, this has been the most stressful Friday night I've experienced." she said. While standing she noticed Chaerin's office lights still up. "Chaerin is still here?"
 
Minji pretended like she didn't know, though she had noticed it earlier. "Really?"
 
"I'll go check, maybe she just forgot to turn the lights off."
 
As Bom walked towards the office, she can hear a woman talking with someone, confirming that indeed their boss is still working. She knocked first and opened the door gently.
 
"Yes, honey I'll go home later and we'll watch your favorite movie. Mommy just needs to finish some work okay? I love you. See you later." Chaerin hung up her cellphone.
 
Bom smiled. "Is that Harin?"
 
"Yes." Chaerin replied. "She's been calling and bugging me to come home and watch movies. I'd love to but I need to submit these reports to the Director by Monday." 
 
"Hmm. Well boss, you can do the report at home, right? You look exhausted." Chaerin indeed look tired; ever since their assignment to catch G-Dragon was intensified she had been working non-stop; doing overtime and coming in early. Her face was as radiant as the sun before; now small eye bag can now be seen forming below her eyes. 
 
"Oh no, I don't do work at home." the blonde said. I give all my time to Harin during weekends. Those are the only days where I can be with her."
 
"I see. And how's Mr. Lee?" Bom asked, referring to Chaerin's businessman husband. "Well, he's out of the country right now which is another reason for me to take care of Harin. I'm the only one who can do it." The office deskphone suddenly rang, interrupting their conversation.
 
"Captain, your driver is here."
 
"Kindly tell him to wait for another 30 minutes. Thank you." said Chaerin as she went back to their conversation. "And you, Agent Park. Why are you still here on a Friday night?" 
 
"Ah, yes. Minji and I are consolidating all the reports from the intelligence. We need to gather all today so by tomorrow we can fully start implementing the initial plan. Actually, we-" Her talk was interrupted when Minji suddenly tapped her shoulder. 
 
"It's done now. We can go." the young woman said. Chaerin looked down and started working on her papers again as if nothing happened. "We're going boss, enjoy your weekend."
 
Chaerin smiled. "Thank you and please close the door." But she didn't hear the door close. Her eyes went back to the papers, pretending to read them, but she can sense someone is still standing at the door. Minji. 
 
"How are you doing?" the young woman asked.
 
"Please don't ask me those questions and leave the room."
 
"Chaerin I don't think we should-"
 
"We should what? Please leave. Have a great weekend." Chaerin said in a commanding voice. Minji did what she was asked.
 
 
 
 
Minji decided to spend the night at the other apartment- the one she and Chaerin rented. It has been months since she visited to this place, now it's dusty, a sign that no one bothered to clean it. She decided to give the place a quick dusting.
 
Going through the tables and bookshelves she checked all the photos displayed- photos of them together during their discreet vacations. For once she felt as if this was home- the table where she had meals with Chaerin, the couch where they had cuddled, the bed where they shared together. Those were the happiest memories she cherished, memories she just had to let go, as it is the right thing to do.
 
She found 2 Manila envelopes clipped in between the books. She haven't seen those before, at least the last time she was here. Out of curiosity, she checked the contents.
 
Seoul Family Court
Case No. 0834839
PETITION FOR DISSOLUTION OF MARRIAGE
 
Minji cannot believe what she just read. How did these papers get in here, she thought. Initially she had the impression that it can be a document for another case, which Chaerin forgot to bring to work. She checked all the other papers in the envelope.
 
Seoul Family Court
Case No. 0834839
 
Lee Chae Rin, Plaintiff
vs.
Lee Young Chul, Defendant
 
DECREE OF DIVORCE
 
IT IS BY ORDERED AND DECREED:
1. The bonds of matrimony now existing between the Plaintiff and the Defendant are dissolved on the grounds of irrenconcilable differences, and the Plaintiff is awarded an absolute decree of divorce from the Defendant.
 
2. The parties have executed a Property Settlement Agreement and Child Care plan which settles all property, debt and child issues of the marriage.
 
 
Tears fell from her eyes as she read the rest of the papers. The decree was dated 2 weeks ago; it was just recent. She broke up with Chaerin weeks prior to the date listed.
 
"Chaerin, why did you have to hide this from me" she mumbled, recalling the weeks happened prior to their break up. She felt guilty for she left her when she needs her the most. Her superior radiates a strong persona when it comes to work, but she knows she is very caring and a thoughtful woman. 
 
That's why Chaerin was hurt and cried when she told her their affair is over. She never talked to her after, nor give her a hard time. They remained professional at the office, but never interacted outside- no call or text coming from her begging her to come back. 
 
Wiping her tears out, she carefully placed the papers back to the envelope and slid it in between the books. A roller coaster of emotjons came rushing- sadness, anger and guilt . Mostly guilt. She did not regret her decision about leaving Chaerin, but she felt she's too selfish to care for the other woman's situation.
 
She found several cans of beer in the fridge; she recalled they're supposed to have a movie night together and she bought them for that moment. Now all gone and over, she'll be needing alcohol to calm her feelings.
 
 
 
 
Chaerin smiled as she handed a check to the landlord for the quarterly rent. This month was the end of the contract for the apartment and she decided not to renew. Usually she and Minji shared the payment for the place but this time she decided to pay it out of her own money; it's no use sharing the rent together anyway, she thought.
 
"Are you sure you don't want to get extension?" the landlord asked. It took a second for the blonde woman to answer. "I'd love to, Sir, but I'll be assigned to another province. So there's no use to keep it for the mean time." The landlord gave out a defeated smile, but understands Chaerin's nature of work. 
 
"I understand. When are you going to start packing your things?"
 
"Oh actually, I'm about to start today" Chaerin replied, showing the empty duffel bags she's holding. "Oh okay. Last night Ms. Gong was here, I think she's here to pack her things too. Maybe she spent the night here."
 
"I see." the blonde replied. "Well I'll go ahead then and start the work. I'll see you soon, Sir."
 
 
 
 
The apartment was quiet when she opened the door. She was just here a couple of days ago, yet the air is still the same- lonely and empty. Minji had moved on, she thought. I have a new life with my daughter, it's time for me to let go.
 
Her landlord was right. Her former lover was here last night. And judging from the cans of beer scattered in the living room and a pair of shoes by the door, Minji is still here. But it didn't prevent Chaerin from doing her agenda. She carefully opened one of the duffel bags and started packing some of the books and photos she own along with her divorce papers. She noticed there was no dust in the shelf but didn't pay much attention to it; she's supposed to get all her things here the soonest possible. 
 
Once done, she went to the bedroom to gather the rest of her clothes. There she found Minji sleeping. She's wasted from last night's drinking but still looking like an angel; and God, how Chaerin wanted to touch her face and kiss her one last time. When she felt her eyes getting wet, she turned away from her and silently opened the closet and packed her clothes carefully.
 
Done, she sighed as she closed the duffel bag. She has remaining clothes to pack, but at least half of them she can take home and the rest can be taken cared of next weekend. She carried the bag and glanced at Minji again before walking away. But as she headed towards the door, the young woman called her.
 
"Chaerin?"
 
She answered but refused to face her. "Yes." There was silence after.
 
"Can we talk? I read your divorce papers. Why didn't you-" 
 
Chaerin cut her off right away. "There's nothing to talk about." She continued to walk away, carrying the other bag before heading towards the apartment door.
 
 
 
A/N: I don't exactly know South Korea's divorce process (though I've read that it's pretty much the same as with oter countries), so I just made up the decree on this chapter based on Mr. Google's suggestions. Anyway, I hope you liked this chapter, and I would really, really love to hear your comments on this.