Chapter IV

Impostor
Minji woke up the next morning, feeling nauseated. She drank around 8 to 10 bottles, but that's her normal alcohol dosage. Thankful it's their rest day, she called Bom to bring her medicine and food. 
 
"I told you not to drink too much last night!" Bom scolded her on the other line. "I'm out jogging Minji, do I need to be there right away?!" 
 
"No, no... just come here when you have time. I'll just lie here for a while." Minji answered. She didn't tell her that she already vomited 2 times; of course Bom has her own stuff to take care, and she didn't want her to worry. "I can hold for a few more hours." Feeling dizzy, she sat on her bed and tried to stay still. She can feel her surroundings spinning. Am I really sick, or is this just a bad case of hangover?  She tried to divert her attention by checking her phone, only to find out again, a dozen missed calls and voicemail messages left by Chaerin. 
 
Where are you, babe? I'm here at the apartment, I'll wait for you. Love you.
 
How come you're not answering your phone? Let me know what time you'll be here.
 
At least you could've informed me you're not coming.
 
Of course she couldn't blame her. She had ignored her the entire night, even turned off her phone at one point. She's tired of the same routine they have that is being discreet about their ellicit affair. It's becoming stressful on her part. 
 
She decided she'll talk to Chaerin today. She's going to call the shots this time.
 
 
 
"Your temperature's quite high, here take this." Bom handed Minji a glass of water and medicine. "I'm fine" the latter replied. "Must be stressed. I need a break."
Bom went to check the fridge for food. "We all need a break, but maybe you need a little boost.I've been telling you many times to join me every weekend! You need to stretch up your bones and muscles once in a while." Being a health buff, she had been encouraging the Minji to go to the gym or jog. "The only exercise I see you do is every time we have operations."
 
If only Bom knew, she does workout every weekend- a different kind of workout. Minji chuckled.
 
"What- what's funny?"  Minji laughed at the woman's reaction., and as she starts to feel better, the doorbell rang. 
 
"I'll get it."
 
She stood up to open the door and was surprised to see the visitor. 
 
For a moment there was silence in the apartment. Bom, just finished preparing the chicken for the soup and began boiling water. It must be the building crew, she thought and went on with her business. But then she heard voices - one from another woman, sounded angry. A voice familiar to her.
 
She walked slowly closer the door. She's sure it's Chaerin's.
 
 
 
"What do you mean calling off?" Chaerin raised her voice after hearing what Minji had been wanting to tell her. She couldn't believe she's breaking up with her. 
 
"Chaerin, I can't-" 
 
"Can you even give me a reason? What, are you seeing someone?" she continued to question the young woman.
 
"What, are we even legal? If I see someone it's none of your business." Minji answered. "I'm sick of being in this set up and- I love you so much, you know that. I can give up anything, everything for you. But you- I can't even feel a single thing- I don't feel any assurance-  you know what, yeah let's call this off. You're married, go to your family, I'll go on my own."
 
For the first time, Minji saw Chaerin's tears falling from her eyes. There was silence. 
 
She asked one more question. "Are you seeing someone?"
 
"Why do you even care?" Minji went back inside the apartment and shut the door.
 
She was surprised to see Bom standing behind her. Alas, her long time secret has been revealed.
 
 
 
East Village Apartments
Itaewon-dong
 
"This is it", Wesley mumbled after looking at his cellphone twice. He's standing in front of his new home at least for the following months. So far he liked the area- accessible and feels cozy. He is looking forward to meet new people  in the neighborhood.
 
He is also looking forward to continue his business in his father's homeland. 
 
 
 
"Feeling better?"
 
She took a sip on the pineapple juice before finishing her soup Bom made for her. It was a hearty meal, which happens rarely in her house. But even though she's happy with the food, she couldn't stop thinking about what happened. Bom hadn't talked about it the entire meal and acted like nothing happened.
 
"Listen, about earlier," she started. "It was-"
 
"You're having an affair with her", Bom replied. "Since when?" She doesn't care about Minji's relationships; but it's a shock for her to know that that relationship is with their boss.
 
"It's over. I told her that today."
 
"Good." She stood up to put the dishes in the sink when Minji grabbed her arm. "I'm sorry if I kept it a secret from you" the latter said. "I just haven't got the guts to tell; I was hoping it will work well, that-"
 
"Minji, she's a married woman, you don't expect to leave her family in an instant for you."
 
"I love her, Bom. So much it hurts to see her cry when I told her it's over. Part of me wants to take back what I said, but I had to do it." Minji's voice cracked and began to sob. 
 
Bom, being the older and understanding sister to Minji, hugged the young woman. "I'm not angry at the fact that she has family; I'm angry at  what this situation is doing to you, and I'm glad you've come to realize that. Hush now, you did the right thing." Somehow she felt sad for Minji- she's living alone in the big city and in these cases she has no one to talk to. She let her cry her hear out on her shoulder as any good sister does to their siblings. Some few minutes later, the sobbing and crying stopped. Minji lifted her head and wiped her red eyes. 
 
"Thank you, I feel better now." she smiled. Bom chuckled. "Yeah right, puffy eyes." Both women laughed. Then a loud thud from the apartment's hallway. Curious, both women went outside to check, and saw a young man picking up piles of books.
 
"You need help?"
 
"Actually yes, I- Minji!" It was Wesley who made the noise.
 
"Oh my, we meet again!" Bom exclaimed. "Yes, what a coincidence! How was your night ladies? Oh Minji, what happened? Your eyes are puffy and weird!"
 
Minji smiled. She was quick enough to think of an alibi for the boy. "I got sick after last night."
 
"Uh huh, she basically went beyond her booze limit. She has allergies, so the eyes..." Bom responded, making circle gestures around her eyes. 
 
"That's bad I hope you get well soon."
 
"Thanks. So you're visiting someone here?"
 
Wesley continued to pick up the remaining books. "Actually, I am moving here. I got a unit rented out at 15C."
 
"15C's this one." Minji pointed at the door on her right side. "We'll be neighbors then! This is my place, 16C."