Saving Faces

Human and Wolf

As the days go by, Yifan and Joonmyeon's relationship has become better. Everyone feels it, the whole pack is happy, but more importantly, there are the two people who are the happiest: the alfa and his mate.

They have been talking a lot, not so much about the past, but about the future. There are things that they want to do as a family and others as a couple. They have come to that moment in which they are tired of pretending and tiptoeing around each other, the feelings have been named so there's no turning back.

The thing they are most united over is the health of their son who is getting better by the day. Still, he has to live in the hospital for some time and so does Joonmyeon. It's very difficult for the family, they had been coming and going to and from the hospital for such a long time. Every day is split between their regular life and the moments at the clinic.

 

----------

 

Yifan is watching as Joonmyeon changes the baby's diapers in his plastic crib at the children's ward. He feels something, something that makes his alfa senses go up in arms. Joonmyeon senses it too, he senses the alfa, even the baby becomes restless.

“What is it?” Joonmyeon huffs.

“What's with him? He is staring at you.” Yifan points with his chin to another doctor. It's the son of Heechul and General Choi, he had stayed at their hospital to gain more experience. What's his deal?

“I don't know but you are making the children upset.” He turns to his mate and tries to make him look at him, he goes to his neck and sniffs it. That does the trick, Yifan calms a bit and turns his attention to his family again, then he apologizes to the nurses.

He stays close to Joonmyeon though, even closer when they sit to feed the baby. He circles an arm around his waist and hooks his chin to his shoulder. He keeps saying, “mine, mine.”

It's true, the doctor hasn't stopped looking at him and Joonmyeon is getting uncomfortable, he is doing his absolute best not to show it because Yifan is already on the edge.

“Let's go for a snack, he has fallen asleep.” The alfa nods and helps him put the baby back on the crib. His son is large, he's gonna be tall. He takes Joonmyeon's hand in his as they walk to the hospital's cafeteria for a coffee and a pastry maybe.

 

----------

 

Yifan picks a booth hidden behind a huge plant, he wants to keep his mate close. They are chatting and stealing kisses and touches, Joonmyen gets shy with the PDA and it only serves for Yifan to even more. That's until the omega has finally had enough and gets up from their seat despite Yifan's protests.

They make it to the entrance of the cafeteria when Joonmyeon, who is walking a little ahead of Yifan, bumps into somebody. As soon as the alfa senses the danger and sees the face of the offender, he growls, impulsive and scary. The waitresses look.

“Oh sorry, I thought you left!” The beta doctor didn't seem to get the hint.

“You just hit the Alfa's mate, you should apologize more properly...” Yifan is mad.

“I'm fine, honey.” Joonmyeon's small voice make the alfa snap, his mate is smilling at him and putting all of his body against him, as if to contain him. He reaches for his face and carresses it, the alfa takes the small hand to kiss and to smell it, he doesn't want violence around Joonmyeon so he is doing his absolute best to not get any angrier.

“I'm sorry again.” The doctor bows.

“What do you need Doctor Choi? Have you come to explain why you have been staring at a mated omega the whole morning?”

“Yifan...”

“Actually, yes...” Does he not have a filter? “...but maybe we should go to my office. I would like a word with the both of you.”

 

----------

 

They follow him to an office on the second floor. Yifan is still mad, Joonmyeon gifts him all the smiles he can and all the touches, but he doesn't calm down.

Inside the office, Yifan doesn't let go and sits Joonmyeon on his lap, he is being embarrassing.

“Is there a problem with our baby?” Joonmyeon asks the thing that matters most.

“No, there isn't.” The doctor smiles.

“Then why are we here?” Yifan's patience is wearing thin.

“Well, this morning, like you noticed, I was watching Joonmyeon hyung, because I needed to take a look at his face.” He just blurts out. Joonmyeon can't hide the discomfort anymore. Yifan tightens his arms on him, protecting him.

“Okay, this is your last chance to explain without making any of us more uncomfortable.” The doctor opens his eyes wide.

“Oh no! I'm sorry!” He tries to reach for Joonmyeon's hands but backs off when Yifan moves a little. “I didn't mean it that way.” He takes a deep breath. “Look, okay... I'm a plastic surgeon, I was looking at your scars and... well, I think I could fix...”

“My mate is beautiful! There's nothing to fix in him.” Yifan is raising his voice because he feels how Joonmyeon saddens at what the doctor just said.

“Of course!” Doctor Choi thinks he might die right then and there. “No, but... the thing is that, I think that those scars are actually superficial and could be removed. IF YOU WANT TO, of course...” He waits and when Yifan starts to stand Joonmyeon makes him sit again.

“Really?” Joonmyeon doesn't want to get his hopes high, not about this.

“I'm pretty sure, though I have to look closer... but even if the skin couldn't be removed, we could reconstruct your nose, your eye, your ear...” He says as he tries to see what the omega is hiding under his hair. Joonmyeon turns to Yifan with big questioning eyes.

“Do you want this, love? You don't need it.”

“You don't want me to... try?”

“I want whatever you want. I don't want you to feel pushed to do this.”

“I don't... but I want to hear what he has to say. Can I let him check me?”