Chapter One

Blind ¡Surprise!

   "Good job, Jonghyun," I ruffled the four year old's head, "It's not so scary anymore, is it?"

   Jonghyun grabbed a lollipop from my candy cup. "He's been waiting for his shots since last month. All I hear him say is 'Dr. Luvina this' and 'Dr. Luvina that'," Jonghyun's mother giggled. "I know you started your job here almost two years ago, but you seem so professional. The children love you."

   I blushed, "Thank you, but I don't think the children-"

   "The mothers in the waiting room tell me how close you've gotten with the kids. They don't come here crying anymore," she smiled, "You'd be a wonderful mother you know, if you were to have your own."

   That shocked me, which made me laugh out loud, "I'm sorry, but I'd be a horrible mom. It's not that I'd abandon the child or anything, but I'd probably forget about the baby if I even get distracted by my phone or internet." I held Jonghyun, lightly pinching his cheeks, "I think I'll adopt a child at the most. They can eat, go to the bathroom, and do things by themselves. I'll be the mom who loves them and will play with them, but I'll need my space. I don't have time to teach children anything just yet."

   Jonghyun's mother stared in disbelief. She seemed to be thinking of something with deep thoughts as she stared at the ground, "Tell me, have you ever gone on a blind date?"

   I had met this young mother only a year before, so of course we've gotten close, but never has anyone ever asked me that, patient or not. "No, I'm afraid I haven't had the time, why?" I lifted an eyebrow, fearing what she'd say next.

   "You're 30 years old-"

   "29." I corrected.

   "-and you aren't even in a relationship yet. From what you have told me, since you got here, you've only dedicated yourself to your job."

   "And my bed, and my TV, and-"

   "It's understandable that you would laze off like that because you're the only one you take care of. You'll change once you have a husband," she patted my knee. "How about I set you up?"

   I wanted to pretend that I didn't hear her, because I liked my lazy single life. "No, I'm fine."

   "I didn't ask if you were fine. Look, I have a cousin who's well-known around here. Why not have a date with him?" I gave her Jonghyun to carry, she got up. "Don't worry, he's not a creep. He likes innocent girls like you. I'll make sure to call you when the date is set!"

   "Wa-wait!" before I could reject it, she was already out of my little room and out of the buildings door. Another mother had come in with her one year old, a smile on her thin face, "Good afternoon," I forced a smile, bowing to the patients mother.

   After the day at work, I went home and kicked off my shoes, immediately getting into bed and take a nap.

 

   A few days had passed since the date offer. I wasn't that excited actually- I was nervous. I didn't even have a choice, and I felt so bad to decline and disappoint her. I'll just go on one date with her cousin, since that is all she wants.

   "Don't worry! He's 180 plus centimeters- I forgot how tall he's gotten," said Jonghyun's mom over the phone, "He likes both cute and y girls. But just be yourself, because he also wants to meet you as you," she had already planned the date for the upcoming Saturday night.

   "Can I at least have a picture of him? I want to see how he looks," I was nervously chewing on my lips. What if he was ugly? What if he's so handsome I'd want to go back for more? "Did you tell him how I am? Lazy, really lazy, and excessively lazy when I get home?" I'm not exaggerating, work the life out of me, even if I do love it.

   "Don't lie, every woman has an apathetic level," a pause, "Dr. Lavina, you should arrive at the restaurant at seven o'clock. You won't need a picture of him, you'll know exactly who he is the moment you see him- two days left!" She reminded me before hanging up.

   After the call, I buried my face into the pillow, my arm hanging from the bed.

 

   "Is a client even able to meddle in a doctors life?" An Na placed her head against her palm.

   I placed a cup of tea on the table, a tea pot right beside it. "We talked a few times out of work. So I guess I know her personally and job-wise."

   She tapped her fingers against her cheeks, "So she sets you up, but you know nothing about him except for the fact that he likes innocent and y girls- that can be cute. Is it just me or does that sounds weird? You can't have y and innocent; it just doesn't go. Plus, sounds like something a ert would like."

   I sighed and shrugged, filling my cup with tea, "If it doesn't go well, please get me out of it," I sipped.

   "I'll take you to a club. Get drunk and have a one night stand," An Na sat upright, grabbing her tea cup, "You're almost thirty and still a . It's quite sad."

   I bit my lip in frustration, "How many times do I have to tell you that I don't believe in before marriage?"

   "You're such a prude. Fine, no wild night, just dancing." She pouted, putting her phone on the table. "I'll ask someone else."

   While she was making the call, I thought about all the possibilities on a one night stand. For one, a baby could develop in my stomach- and I don't want a baby. Second, I could get an infection and won't know who to call to sue. And lastly, I'd lose my ity that I've kept so dearly for the husband I'd marry. I wanted to be in a commited relationship so it would be beautiful.

   "Alright, it's set. Ming Ji is coming," An Na smiled, getting up, "I have to go pick up Ryu from the babysitter."

   I knew An Na, she was a girl who would go to clubs despite having a child, but she herself wouldn't do anything stupid. A rich husband and a baby stops her from stupid things, she only helps the single girls have all the fun.

   "Be careful!" I shouted as she left.

   Which reminds me...Aqua!

   I grabbed my purse and keys and ran out of the house, trying to get to the dog hotel.

   A crowd of girls and guys were huddling in a circle. Some yelled and some cried- but I didn't care, I didn't have the time.

   "Please move! Excuse me, you're in my way. Excuse me!" I would have been able to go around them, but I'd have to step on the street. I wasn't going to risk my life when I haven't seen my dog for a couple of days.

   "Oh, guys, make space," a deep voice with dirty blonde hair said, "I think she wants a picture. Ajhumma- do you want a signature or a photo?"

   As soon as the gap opened, I dashed through the crowd of young adults. I bumped into a few people, even the blonde guy.

   "Ajhumma-"

   "I don't want anything, thanks!" Korea always had idols and famous actors walking on the streets, so this guy was just another superstar to me; not someone I should bother even glancing at.

   "Exo-Exo-Exo!" the huddled fans chanted.

   Oh...he's from Exo? They're still around after ten years? I'd have thought... I shook my head, finally reaching the hotel.

   "Miss Lavina! Aqua has been in good care. We bathed him, walked him, and massaged him. We fed him meat and vegetables- as you asked," one of the workers handed me Aqua's leash, "That'll be four hundred thousand won."

   Most people would think it was far too much to spend on a dog, but Aqua is the grandson of my first dog, Junior. Though Junior is no longer here, my father kept Junior's daughter and two grandpuppies. I took Aqua, one of the six grandpuppies because I wanted a companion on my lonely journey to living in Seoul. Aqua is like my own child.

   "Thank you for having left us Aqua at Lovely Paws Hotel, Miss Lavina," the worker waved as I walked out, heading back to what was now an empty sidewalk. Phew, I thought Aqua and I wouldn't have been able to go home. Once we did arrive at the flat, I laid in my bed, holding Aqua softly. His fur tickling my nose.

   "Aqua..." I tightened my hug, thinking aloud to the quiet dog, "I have a blind date soon, will it go well? Wish me luck, my baby, because the more I think about it, the more I am in conflict with it." To meet a man that you know nothing of, and possibly falling in love with him on your date; it is a dream I have only dreamt of recently, and I am in love with the idea.

   Having a boyfriend meant responsibilities and care, it also meant that a boyfriend may eventually become a fiance, then a husband... "Maybe I really could be a mommy?" I remembered what I talked of with Jonghyun's mother, and the image of me with a husband and a child in my arms was laughable, but it also made my heart ache with longing. "Maybe I really do want a baby?"

   Aqua growled in what I imagined was agreement. I pet him and laughed off the horrid words I spoke only moments before.

 

   "Ask him to the clubs once you're done with eating," An Na ate chips on my bed, baby Ryu playing with his Hot Wheels. "Oooh, fabulous- wear that!"

   I came out of the bathroom wearing a casual but fancy light blue shirt with tight black jeans. "I am not inviting him if he seems like a serious person. And this outfit looks like I'm going shopping on the streets of Gangnam- not on a date," I went to my wooden closet and pulled out a candy blue mid-thigh length dress, with sleeves that went down to my wrists, and a neckline that drooped slight down one shoulder; an innocent yet simple look. "Now this is what I call cute."

   "Hey- who do you think the date might be?" Ming Ji plopped on the bed, making An Na spill a few crumbs, "She said he was well-known around here right? Maybe he's an actor or a singer?"

   "I have such bad luck, he might actually be a comedian who looks like Yoo Jae Suk," I joked, pouting my lips as I put on the dress.

   "Or maybe someone suitable for our Little Miss Pediatrician-- a doctor?" An Na looked at Ming Ji, "That means he'll know if his drinks are roofied."

   I stopped, staring at Ming Ji in horror. "I have a job and a life to take care of, please don't drug us without our knowledge. That's a crime. I thought you stopped!"

   Ming Ji has been placed in jail several times and has even gone to prison for being a female date . She was sentenced several years after being caught of having drugged a gaming company's CEO's son, and later having had with him to gain some money off of him. In reality, she should have gone to prison and come out until she was in her mid-thirties, but she was close. Although impure at moments, she cares for those around her and helps those in need- a deed she thinks will clear her reputation with God himself. So here I am, friends with an ex-date ; who am I to judge someone who's sworn to have changed?

   Yet, I still had to be weary of her every time we partied.

   "If you guys don't trust me, then fine," she avoided my question, "Then let me stay here and take care of Aqua." The dog had landed on her lap, causing her to giggle, "We can watch movies all night and put your fur in ponytails!"

   "Oh!" An Na snapped her fingers, "After dinner, why not continue the date here? Where is more comfortable than an intimate date at home?"

   "Yeah! While you're gone, we can set everything up. We'll rent a movie, buy popcorn, drinks, and all of what a date needs." Ming Ji patted Aqua's head, making even the dog excited.

   "Uh- I don't know...Isn't that moving too fast?" when they shrugged, I bit my lip, "Erm, okay, as long as the movie is romantic comedy or horror and has no explicit scenes."

   "Alright, an innocent date- mission accepted!" they said in unison, Ming Ji grabbed my arm and hurried me, "She said to be there by seven! Don't be late!"

   After making sure Aqua had everything set, I left the apartment and drove to the restaurant. Luckily, it was close enough to walk so I didn't drive my car.

   Once at the restaurant, I heard Lee Jung Hyun's 'V'. The restaurant was called 'Haru Haru', a casual restaurant that had kpop in the background and TV's set on for the customers. My date had apparently wished to come here, so I wouldn't have to worry of having a dress code applied.

   The TV on my left was announcing that the Korean drama Rooftop Prince was having re-runs starting the week after. "What would you like to drink?" Asked a waitor as I was engrossed on the announcement, "Two waters." I replied, hoping my date liked water.

   "Okay," the waitor looked at the empty seat in front of me questioningly, then nodding in understanding. I was left at the table watching a few minutes of the show before it went back on commercials.

   "Thursday night at eight-" the announcement of the reruns was on again, and I just had to write it down. How could I not watch my favorite show on TV?

   I pulled out my phone and began writing the rerun time, entirely focused as my favorite drama showed it's old trailer.

   "Drama fan?" a deep voice rang, making me look up in shock.

 

Hello! Jongludesu here!

This is a story I have been writing since my Sophomore year in my classes,

originally, it was meant to be written so I can make it into a spanish novela(drama) in the future.

But because I love nu'est so much, and I love writing stories,

I decided to make it into a fanfiction story for the enjoyment

of the nuest readers! Or any readers for that matter!

And for the readers who like this story, and will continue to read,

let me call you guys the Surprises! Ok? Not ok? Oh well, I hope you like the story anyway!^^