Prologue

Blind ¡Surprise!

   After having graduated medical school at such a young age, I was placed in a pediatrics center in Reno, Nevada for my first year on the real job.

   I was used to assisting, not doing the real work, so I was quite nervous, but the help of my clients and friends, I was able to go through my first year without a hitch. I was doing things smoothly and happily, until I decided to travel across the world to help others in need of help. After my first year and a half at the center, I transferred over to Seoul, South Korea. I planned to only be there for a year or two maximum, and then travel the rest of Asia for the same length of time in each country.

   After moving, I met a patient with a baby boy whom began to chat with me in English, and gradually in Korean; we had become friends, her name was An Na. After work, I would go to night school to learn more of the Korean language, and soon after months of studying and working, I mastered it. I hardly spoke any English at all unless it were foreign parents living here for business reasons or personal ones.

   Little by little, I began to be friendly with all my patients parents, familiarizing myself with them and attaching myself emotionally. After half a year in Korea, I was completely in love with everything and everyone in the country, I was finally home. I was happy and refused to live anywhere else, anywhere that wasn't as warming and respectful as Korea.