Lost Memory (Songfic)

Witch + Lost Memory (Songfic)

Continuation from Witch (songfic) and its extras.
Warnings: Self-harm

-

“, I should have known.” A man held him tight, and it was supposed to be disgusting but he felt safe. He wasn't sure why a sense of security overwhelmed him, but something told him he would be safe in this man's arms. “I shouldn't have left you alone, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.”

The man was trembling, but so was himself. “I'm so sorry, Minwoo, I'm so sorry.”


-

“Who are you?” A weak voice broke the previous silence, and the only other person turned his head sharply at the now conscious man.

“God, Minwoo! You're awake, thank goodness! H-How do you feel?” The man ran towards him and fussed a while. He oddly hesitated before his last sentence, eyes drifting to-

“Minwoo?”

“Yes...you're...Minwoo.” The man made a weird face, eyes tearing off Minwoo's lower body. “. Is this what they call amnesia?”

“Amnesia?” Minwoo repeated, blank expression not saying much. “Am I supposed to know you?”

“.” The man cursed, making a run for the door before pausing. “I'll get you a doctor, just wait here.”

A man in white came in and did some check on him, asking a few questions as he went along. He could tell which country they were in and his favourite colour, but he might have forgotten his parents' name or if he had any friends.

“Is it bad?” Minwoo asked curiously, not sure if his apparent memory loss would do anything to him. He hadn't experienced it before, he thinks. Maybe he did but forgotten it, who knows?

“It's not.” The doctor shrugged lightly. “You'll get back what you need slowly, and I guess it's not a completely bad thing seeing what you forgot.”

“What did I forget?”

The doctor turned to the other man present, who hurriedly waved his hands animatedly. He nodded slightly at the reaction and finished his check-up, before leaving the ward without another word.

“What did I forget?” Minwoo repeated, certain that the man he had seen since he regained consciousness would know. “And who are you?”

“I'm Jeongmin. Lee Jeongmin.” Jeongmin said, trying a smile. “I'm your...best friend?”

“Why does it sound like a lie?” Minwoo smiled softly, watching Jeongmin shrug and take a seat on his bed. “So tell me, Jeongmin, what did I forget?”

“It's Jeongmin-hyung.” Jeongmin corrected. “I'm a year older.”

“Jeongmin-hyung then, what did I forget?”

Jeongmin pressed his lips together, a pained expression flickering. Minwoo watched as Jeongmin's eyes shifted to his lower body, but the man quickly looked up at Minwoo with a shaky smile. “Nothing, nothing.”

“I would like to know, Jeongmin-hyung.”

“All you are forgetting is me.” Jeongmin stood up suddenly, leaving the room and not letting Minwoo ask him the question again.

Minwoo could tell Jeongmin was hiding something, and he was forgetting something. He knew the older man probably hid it from him for his own good, especially if he was the best friend he said he was. But he was curious, beyond belief, about something he should but doesn't know.

“Come, quick. I'll explain everything later.”

-

From the moment I saw you, why do my tears keep falling?
Today is the first time I see her, but why do my tears keep falling?
What should I do? My eyes could never have seen her
This is weird, it’s never been like this, but why do my tears keep falling?

-

Another man entered half an hour later, panting. His eyes were widened, but still mismatched, and he looked like he was panicking.

“H-How is-” The man managed but stopped himself. His big eyes opened wider, mouth slightly agape.

Minwoo didn't understand what sort of reaction that was, but neither did he understand why there were droplets of water gathering at his chin and dripping down on his hands.

Jeongmin hurriedly tried to soothe Minwoo, but Minwoo shook his head with a small smile. Why is Jeongmin comforting him? He doesn't even feel sad.

“Do I know him?” Minwoo asked his supposed best friend, voice quiet in case he offends the newcomer.

But the silence was loud, and Minwoo, even louder.

His words were innocent but carried so much malice. The words were like a knife, stabbing straight into the newcomer's every fibre and commanding his death.

Jeongmin hesitated. He watched his other friend fight every sense in him to resist reaching for the patient in his arms. He watched Donghyun fight himself, fight his tears, fight his resolve.

And Minwoo didn't know why, but his tears kept falling. He watched the man watched him, the two staring at each other. It's like he should know who this person was, but every time he tried to recall, his mind just draws a blank.

He forgot he had posed the question to Jeongmin. He even forgot he was waiting for an answer.

-

I feel that everything is unfamiliar
From the moment I saw you, even my heart stopped
You erased me, and I don’t know you
You and I have never loved, never met

-

“I'm...Donghyun.” Donghyun said, every step heavy.

Was this for the best?

Was this what his mother wanted?

He felt his heart clenching, every beat crippling him more and more. He was losing strength in his limbs, but he kept going.

He hasn't seen Minwoo in over three months. That's a hundred days of life without sunshine, struggling against every day and trying his very best to keep alive. This man was right before him, a lot thinner than before, but right now he could just stretch out a bit more to reach him.

Donghyun felt his heart skip a beat as his fingers reached the tears. Minwoo watched him, eyes so confused but so determined to search for the answer he was looking for.

“And what is our relationship?”

“We-” Donghyun coughed, choking on his answer.

We dated.

We were lovers.

And you were mine.


“We're strangers.”

-

I’ll forget everything for you
I’ll erase everything for you
The happy memories too, the loving memories too
Even the moment when I first met you, I’ll erase them all

-

“, what the hell is wrong with you?!” Jeongmin yelled, temporarily forgetting they were in the hospital. He chased after the man who didn't have the courage to state the truth, merely running out after telling a horrible lie. “Strangers? Like he'd buy that stupid lie?”

“Enough, I shouldn't have came.” Donghyun spoke quietly, dragging Jeongmin to an outside area for them to talk more comfortably. “Look, we broke up. Whatever happens to Minwoo doesn't concern-”

“Why did you run here?” Jeongmin cut in, expression stiff with his fists clenched. It looked like he was trying his best to remain calm, his words carefully pronounced. “Tell me.”

“I...” Donghyun stuttered.

He wouldn't lie. Hearing that Minwoo had admitted into the hospital was all he needed to dash over. The younger was always so fragile in his eyes, and the fact that he was sent to the hospital just made the worry previously present multiply tenfolds.

“It's better he forgets. It's better we all forget.”

“What if he remembers?”

Donghyun couldn't understand why Jeongmin was so agitated. He gave the question a serious thought, trying not to dismiss Jeongmin's intentions; not when he was almost fuming.

“By that time, the pain would probably be a lot less.”

“Do you know why he's in the hospital?”

Donghyun shook his head slowly, vaguely remembering Jeongmin saying he would fill him in with the details later.

“He got ing . If he remembers it all, he's going to ing kill himself.” Jeongmin's figure shook violently, hands reaching for Donghyun's collar and face contorted in pain. “Please, I beg you, he needs you.”

Donghyun froze, and he almost didn't hear the younger man through his sobs.

“Minwoo was in a back alley and the trauma left him an amnesia.” Jeongmin cried, shaking Donghyun with whatever strength was left in him. “Minwoo, who you never touched that way, was ed by some other man and you would leave him alone?”

-

I’ll erase traces of you one by one
I’ll burn all of your things
I’ll keep telling myself
I don’t know you, I erased you

-

A figure smiled softly as he leaned against the wall, listening to Jeongmin's outburst.

-

Yep, I was choked up with love all alone
My obsession was frightening even to myself
Should I lash out on you?
Even if I’m pretending, do I have to forget you?

-

“Donghyun-hyung...” Minwoo cried, his bare figure disgusting to even himself. He wished he had the strength to fight off the persistent man, but all he could do was let himself be abused, shamed, humiliated.

The him right now, the him from now on...

Doesn't have the right to call the other man's name.


-

I drank you to alleviate my need for love
But the thirst only grew stronger
Even when I chase after you, I don’t see you
I’ll erase it all, just like the past when I didn’t know you

-

“This guy is not a stranger.” Jeongmin announced as he re-entered Minwoo's ward with red-rimmed eyes. Donghyun followed with his head hung low, only raising his head when Jeongmin let out a sigh.

Minwoo was sleeping peacefully on his bed, the ethereal scene bringing a wave of déjà vu.

Jeongmin excused himself seeing Donghyun take an involuntary step forward. It was time to rest after watching over Minwoo for two days straight too.

Donghyun then headed to Minwoo's bedside, his heart guiding his every step. His hand hesitated as it lowered, fingers carefully the face he missed so much.

He did this to Minwoo.

Why, why did he choose to leave?

If he didn't, Minwoo would have been safe in his arms, and he wouldn't have to suffer this trauma.

“I'm sorry.” Donghyun spoke, voice barely a whisper. He leaned low, lips hovering over Minwoo's as his breathing quickened. Did he even have the rights to apologise? “I'm sorry.”

And the tears he tried so hard to fight fell onto the peaceful face below. His trembling lips lightly came in contact with those he yearned for every night, but the fleeting touch only made him jerk back in realisation.

He wished to gather the man in his arms and hug him tight. He wished to shake the man awake and confess his unending love.

He was unworthy of a second chance, he knew it well, but all he wanted was Minwoo to give him that very chance.

“I love you.” Donghyun bit his lower lip, biting back all the pent up longing and struggling between trying to let Minwoo know or let him stay in comfortable obliviousness. “So much, so much, and it never stopped.”

-

I don’t know you, I erased everything about you
Entirely, without leaving anything out, I forgot everything
I keep telling myself just like that
And it seems like my mind is capable making me forget

-

Donghyun stirred awake as he felt himself being shaken. He looked up towards the movement, finding himself faced with an angel sent from above.

The angel he let go.

“Did you sleep well?” His soft smile, his gentle tone, all so familiar as if it was only yesterday. Donghyun tightened his fists, watching Minwoo wince and then realising he had held the younger's hand to sleep.

“Y-Yes.” Donghyun managed, watching their hands.

Minwoo withdrew his own soon enough, smiling nonchalantly. The older man was left staring at the empty space between his fingers, hand still in the same position as if trying to memorise the lingering warmth.

“Could you get me some water?”

-

I loved you alone
I suffer from thoughts of you alone
Probably, with passing time, it will get better
But to bear this period, I think I’ll go crazy

-

Minwoo bit his lip as hard as he could, almost drawing blood. He hugged himself and let his fingernails sink into his skin, scratching, clawing, and leaving ugly lines on his arms and thighs.

Donghyun wasn't supposed to stay for so long, he was supposed to leave.

He was supposed to move on, thankful that Minwoo couldn't remember him anymore.

He was supposed to be relieved, thankful that he needn't deal with a disgusting creature called Minwoo anymore.

How was he going to keep up this act?

How was he going to pretend he hadn't heard the older man's words of love yesterday?

This body is dirty, this soul is sold. His heart was broken and there's nothing left in him worthy of the other man.

Minwoo watched as he managed to scratch his skin hard enough to make it bleed, the red soothing him a little.

“I've got your water.”

He hurriedly threw the blanket over himself as Donghyun returned with the cup of water he asked for, smile plastered on to complete his amnesia act.

-

Do you know? I really loved you
Please don’t let anymore tears fall for my sorry figure

-

“Do you need help-”

“Aren't you a stranger?” Minwoo cut in, his words sharper than it should be.

Donghyun stared into Minwoo's eyes, something in him clicking.

He reached for the blanket and gave it a strong pull, revealing Minwoo with skin so red and a few bleeding cuts. He watched Minwoo hurriedly seek cover, but the wounds were all too familiar.

“Minwoo...”

“I don't know you.”

“Minwoo...”

“I don't know you!”

Donghyun wrapped the younger man with his arms and stayed unmoving despite the younger fighting his embrace. He felt the younger tremble, himself crying when he realised what a masquerade they were trying to pull off.

Each trying to convince the other they had forgotten a love so deep.

“Minwoo...” Donghyun repeated, the younger man's back as soothingly as he knew how. “Please, give me a second chance. I won't let you go ever again, please.”

“Let me go!”

“I'd let you hurt me, but please, don't ever hurt yourself.”

“I don't want to hurt you!” Minwoo screamed, finally being truthful. “I don't want to...I didn't mean to. But I'm not worthy-”

Donghyun tilted Minwoo's head and leaned in for the kiss he was aching for. He knew words never did him right, and tried conveying his feelings through the only way he knew best. The younger man lost strength, tears falling and letting the desperateness and despair in him take over.

“Let's try again.” Donghyun whispered, the grip on his shirt tightening in reply.

-

Honestly, I just finished writing this and I'm kind of half asleep.
I didn't beta it and I feel it's a bit lacking here and there and could be better but I'm quite lazy and tired right now.
If I read it again one of these days and don't like it I might revise it, but otherwise sorry :/
I really wanted to do this song justice because the lyrics hit me hard but I realised I constrained myself a lot setting up so many things in the previous parts.

Don't think I'll be writing anymore for this though :O? It's sorta a happy ending so...
Thanks to the 12 subscribers and all the commenters! <3