chapter one

Bucket List


Soojung is a sickly teenager who’s suffered from heart disease since a young age, her parents abandoned her when she was five because they couldn’t afford the medical bills and since then, her grandma has been the one who has been looking after her.

Fast forward a couple of years, and she’s back to where she begun; Soojung lays on her hospital bed all hooked up and sedated. Her grandmother’s gotten older and it’s harder for the little old woman to get around. Her medical bills are piling up and she’s desperately in need of a heart transplant, Soojung is also blind in one eye and she’s given up on life years ago.

It’s the tubes and machines that are responsible for keeping her heart beat going, her best friend Sehun, also has been her only light throughout these years.

 

Soojung looks around, her hospital room has become like a home to here within these past two months. She started deteriorating when her heart disease came back, and this time it was never like it was before. She’s in her worst stage and doctors find it hard to keep her alive, the only thing that might work is a heart transplant she’s been waiting on for nearly three years.

“Breaking news, inspirational speaker and author Yoora Lee reported to have passed away in a car accident two nights ago…”

She hears the man on the TV screen say, her vision is blurry and she reaches for the remote to turn it off. Then Sehun walks in, he seems to be out of breath with his hair all over the place.

She feels his hands touch hers as he holds it tightly. “Soojung-ah…They finally found a donor…”

Soojung shakes her head. “It’s okay…give it to someone else who needs it more than me.” 

Sehun shakes his head, although his best friend can’t see him that well, he still leans into to talk to her. “Soojung…I signed the papers, and grandma’s very happy. You’re in for surgery in two days, Soojung-ah…hang in there for me?” He asks.

Soojung shakes her head. “Sehun…it’s not going to work, someone out there needs it more than me.” She says barely in a whisper.

Sehun shakes his head. “Soojung…I can’t let you go, I’m not letting you go…you’re the person I love the most in the whole world, I can’t live without you.”

“You have been…for the past two months.” 

Then he tears up, and his voice breaks. “Soojung-ah…please? Please? I can’t…let you go, I don’t want the doctors to take the machines away…I want you alive and well, please?”

She closes her eyes and gives his hand a light squeeze. “You’ll be okay…without me.” She says.

 

Sehun stares at her a few moments as she falls asleep in silence; he checks the monitor and sighs in relief over and over again when he sees that she’s still here with him.

 

Two days later, Sehun is standing outside the operating room nervously. It’s been three hours into the surgery; the doctors say it’ll take about six hours for the transplant to be done because Soojung has had so many heart complications in the past. Her cornea transplant will take about an hour. Sehun hopes that she will come out of there will a strong heart and the ability to see.

 

He’s pacing back and forth constantly, her grandmother calls every hour to see how he’s doing. Sehun’s anxious and worried, even though the doctors say it will most likely be a successful surgery, he’s still scared that some complications will occur.

 

A couple hours later, the red light by the operating room turns off and Sehun stands up. He approaches the surgeons immediately and asks questions.

“H-How did it go?”

The surgeon places a hand on his shoulder and smiles. “It was successful, the heart she has now is very healthy and I see a successful road to recovery ahead of her. She’ll be able to see in about a couple of weeks, the cornea transplant was a success as well.”

Sehun bows, his heart can’t stop beating because he’s so happy on the inside. Soojung will finally be okay, she’ll finally be happy again. “T-Thank you…Thank you!” He stammers.

“She’ll be transferred to her room shortly, we don’t expect her to wake up until about next week…We’d like her body to heal on it’s on for a bit, so talk to her when she’s sleeping because she can still hear you.”

 

Sehun waits outside of Soojung’s room as he watches the nurse pull the sheets over her shoulders.

He could see the black blindfold over her pretty face. “She’s sleeping.” He tells himself. “Sleeping beauty.” Sehun whispers.

 

When they allow him to go inside, he doesn’t hesitate. Sehun takes a seat and holds her hand for a moment, he’s speechless.

“Soojung-ah…I’m crying, really…I am. If you were awake you’d be laughing at me.” Sehun says softly. “They said the transplant was successful…you have a healthy heart now and a new pair of eyes.” He says. “You won’t be in pain anymore.” He whispers.

The lad quickly wipes his eyes and holds onto her hand tightly. “I’m here, okay? Soojung, I’m here…and I always will be here… You could finally apply for college now and become the pharmacist grandma’s always wanted you to be. You could…you could finally enjoy life and be happy.” He says.

He sniffs up his tears and smiles. “I’ll be quiet now so you can sleep….but until you wake up, I won’t leave your side.” Sehun reassures the Soojung who’s fast asleep in dreamland.

 

Four weeks later

“Sehun?” Soojung whispers as she wakes up. Her world is still pitch black like it has been for the past few weeks; her hands reach for him even though she’s not exactly sure of where she is.

Sehun looks up from his little nap and rubs his eyes before holding her hands. “I’m here.”

“You said…they were going to take off my blind fold today.” She whispers. “You said the nurse was coming in soon.”

Sehun nods. “She is…”

“I want you to be here.” Soojung says. “I want you to stay.”

Sehun chuckles. “I’ll be here the whole time.”

“Because I want you to be the first person I see…” She says softly.

Sehun flushes red and for a moment he’s glad she’s blindfolded, because he’d be embarrassed to be seen this pink.  

 

“Soojung?” The nurse comes in with a doctor. “Are you ready?”

The blindfolded girl nods, she’s sick of the dark and boring world she’s lived in for the past few weeks.

She nurse carefully takes off the bandages and removes the blindfold. “Open your eyes, hon.”

Soojung does as she is told, for a moment all she sees is a bright light and everything seems to be white around her. Then her vision slowly clears and in front of her, is Sehun.

Soojung reaches and puts her hands on his face. “Sehun?”

Sehun smiles and holds her hands. “Yes?”

She runs her fingers over his features; he’s gotten more mature over the years. Her vision used to be a blur, never has she seen Sehun’s face so clearly.

“Can you see me?” Sehun asks.

Then she says something that makes his heart pound.

 

“I do…and you’re so handsome.” 


[a/n] *debating who she should end up with*

How'd you like the first chappie? comments are much appreciated :)