Chapter 4

One Night Surprise

"What is this magnificient venue?" Yue muttered to herself as she stepped out of the car, almost stumbling over her pristine long dress she was in. She almost cried the first time she saw herself in the mirror in the office of the Wei Hai, Yifan's personal stylist. 

"Wei, it's so beautiful," she admired the long dress as it sparkled under the light. The dress was ivory white with crystals sewn on to give the whole dress a sparkly effect. It has a sweetheart neckline with a sheer organza covering her shoulders and arms. Overall, she felt like a princess in a fairytale while she paraded in the stylist's office. Wei laughed in glee, "I knew this would fit you ever since I saw you," as he looked at her.  

Wei Hai knew what he was doing for he called up a makeup team to help her get her makeup and hair done for the event as well. As Yue was about to apologize for all the fuss, he nonchalantly replied with a playful flicker in his eyes, "Don't worry. I'm going to charge Yifan for it." Both of their eyes met and laughed out loud. 

Wei Hai, being a friend and cheerful soul, is very talkative that Yue and him were speaking casually to each other before long. From the first glance, Yue noticed that Wei Hai has an impeccable fashion sense, dressed simply but with an additional personal flair, with eye-catching accessories such as silver brooches and eye-catching jewellery. To Yue, Wei Hai is Yifan but with louder personality, for they both look eerily similar.

As he asked his makeup team to put makeup on both of them, Yue and Yifan, Yifan scowled at her when she jokingly said, "I never knew you wear makeup, Mr.Wu." Wei Hai added fuel to the fire by adding, "Oh he does, especially when it's red carpet event. The press just thinks he's naturally handsome, but please," he rolled his eyes, "all the credits go to me." 

The gala ball was a life-changing experience for Yue - with all the people she had only seen on television walking around her, in sparkly dresses and shiny suits. How about her superior? Of course, he looked even more polished and proper than he was in office. Wei Hai did an amazing job at styling him with all the statement pieces Yifan refused to wear. Yue couldn't help but admire everyone around her like a little kid in a candy store, with wide eyes and mouth agape.

"Careful!" Yifan warned her after she stumbled in her dress for the third time within half an hour. Stilettos are not her strong forte and yet she donned a 6 inches pair. "Here," Yifan stretched out his elbow, Yue looked at him, confused.

"What?" she asked. His face slightly jerked forward and motioned to his arm, telling her to take his arm. "No thanks," she refused and continued walking.

"What are we going to do?"

"Divide and conquer," he replied with an expressionless face, causing her to suppress an arising giggle at her boss's lame joke.

"No, I'm serious, what are we going to do?"

"I am serious," he replied with a deadpan face, "we're going walk around and greet people. I remember the name and you just whisper to me about what they do."

"That's it?"

"Uh huh."

"Cool, let us g-" she stepped on the hem of her maxi dress and stumbled for fourth time. Without a word, he took her hand and linked with his right, "you know, the downsides of stilettos are that you stumble a lot and your feet suffer. Hold on to my arm and walk slowly."

"But-"

"Shush shush shush, stop being a stubborn and listen for once. I listen to you instructing me where to go and what to do everyday."

Yue stopped complaining and smiled. As she followed beside Yifan, she noticed more and more people from the book, appearing one after another.

"Yue, tell me the facts about this guy right there," Yifan whispered under his breath with his available hand slightly pointing at a man, while moving his face sideway towards her. Mirroring him, she whispered "That's the chairman of the board in Bank of Shanghai, Mr Tang. The woman beside him is his wife. Childhood sweethearts and their first grandchild, Xiao Lu, turns one next week."

"I'm impressed," he whispered into her ears.

"Of course, Mr.Wu, like boss, like subordinate," she replied with a similar deadpan face of his, he chuckled in amusement and said, "great job."

Both of them walked towards the old couple. "Hello Mr and Mrs.Tang. Long time no see since the meeting," Yifan stretched out his hand to greet the old man.

"Hello, Yifan. It's been quite long," the old man beamed and shook hands while his wife nodded in agreement.

"I've been quite busy with my job. How is Xiao Lu doing?"

"You remember Xiao Lu?" the woman chimed into the conversation with a surprised expression, which also looked delight.

"Of course. He's a little bundle of joy! He's turning one soon, isn't he?"

"Yes, he is. Oh my, you remember!" Mrs.Tang is blooming in smiles, "and who is this?" She glanced at Yue, who was linking arms.

"Oh, she's my date for tonight," Yifan replied swiftly. Yue glanced at him and smiled at him, feeling grateful that he didn't tell her she was his assistant, instead. Even though there is absolutely nothing between two of them, Yue wouldn't want anyone to think that she's dating her boss no matter how much he makes her blush until her cheeks reaches a shade of pomegranate. 

The evening passed quite quickly. The boss and the subordinate weaved through the crowd, greeting one famous figure after another, with Yue inconspiculously whispering to Yifan about the person he is about to socialise with, while Yifan would nod and listen with grace. At the end of the ceremony, Yue was thoroughly tired, physically and mentally. Her feet were sore from walking around in the stilettos and her mind from trying to remember who is who without fail. 

"Tired?" Yifan asked her as they sat together in the backseat of the car. Yue didn't reply in words, but instead nodded. She closed her eyes and leaned back against the backrest of the car, completely worn out. The craving for something refreshing and cold was raging in her bloodstream. She didn't get to eat much food at the gala since she was busy socialising and nor did Yifan so she thought it was fair and square. 

"Uncle," Yifan gently asked his chauffeur uncle, "can you please drop us off at my usual place?" The chauffeur nodded and changed his direction he was driving. 

Ten minutes later, the car came to a stop, which made Yue open her eyes. They had stopped in front of a shaved iced dessert place. 

"Why are we here?" Yue's eyes narrowed in suspicion. 

"Come. Let's get out," Yifan told her and exited the car. 

As they entered the dessert place, an aunty greeted him with a cheery face and hugged him. It seems like he visits the place quite often. The aunty took them to the small patio behind the building, which was converted into a small garden. Yue was glad that she did because quite a lot of people were staring at them for their out-of-place clothing in the dessert place.  

"So, the usual green tea and sweet red beans for you?" Yifan nodded at the aunty. She faced Yue and asked, "what would you like, young lady?" 

"Errrrrrrrrr..." she paused and looked around, "Do you have vanilla and strawberries?" the woman smiled and nodded, "can I have one please?" The woman left the two of them in silence.

Yue couldn't take it anymore and kicked off the shoes off her feet lightly. "Your feet are really sore?" Yifan asked.

"Yeah, they really do hurt so much," she bent down and started stretching out her feet back and forth to alleviate the pain. 

"Here," Yifan stood up and walked over to her side after he took off his shiny patent leather shoes and socks, "let's walk on the grass." Yue followed him like a sleepwalker and started stepping on the grass along with him. Much to her surprise, her feet felt much cooler and more relaxed. 

"You see," he explained as he stepped on the grass with his barefeet, "the coolness from the grass helps with the swelling of your feet. You feel much better now, right?" 

"Yeah," she replied excitedly, "how did you know this?" 

"My mother does that all the time," he replied with a flicker of nostalgia in his eyes. Yue suddenly felt that he was uncomfortable about talking about his mom so she tried to change the subject, "So, do you come here often?" 

"I used to," he responded, "when I was in uni, many many years ago. I love how I can study in my own world in this cafe, while eating green tea and red bean shaved ice. It's heaven. Nothing beats this place." 

"Many, many years ago?" Yue echoed, "you look like you just got out of university 3 days ago. How could it be many, many years ago?" 

"How old are you?" he asked. 

"23," Yue answered truthfully, "and I forbid you to tell anyone." 

Yifan laughed, "I'm 33." 

Yue's jaws dropped, "No way!" She never thought her boss would be that old, a decade older than her. 

"Yes way." 

"But, but, your face," she gestured at her face and waved up and down, "no lines. No sign of aging. None whatsoever! Seriously, you look like you're in your late twenties." 

"My dermatologist does a good job at helping me with my skin," he laughed shyly, "and I listen to her quite well." 

"Wow, 10 years older. Wow. Just wow," Yue couldn't get over the fact. 

"I can see that this thought will eat your brain tonight," he laughed. 

"Hell yeah!" 

The two desserts bowls arrived in front of them, each decorated with a little wooden spoon. As Yue dug into the normal-looking dessert, she realized why her boss is addicted to it. The dessert had the perfect balance of crunch, milk, sweetness and coolness to it. There was no bland chunk of ice, overly sweetened flavoring, everything just tasted perfect. While she enjoyed the dessert like a thrilled child, Yifan raised his eyebrows at her, as if to say his recommendation was good. She put up two of her thumbs to say confirm his eyebrow raise, which he laughed at. 

After their dessert, Yifan dropped her off at her house, telling her to contact Wei Hai to return the dress. As she exited the car and thanked him for the evening, he said, "you know. There's another reason why I really like that place. It reminds me of my happy youth and I'm glad you enjoyed the place," and asked the driver to drive away.

Somehow, Yue has a feeling that her boss might have issues lingering in his past.

~~~ 

 

[Note:] I am really enjoying writing this piece of fic.