Chapter 2

One Night Surprise

"No, no, no, wait. Stop," Yue started muttering and woke up, she had already stood up and started looking for a pencil in her half-asleep state. She fell back on her bed and sighed. It has been 2 weeks since she started working for Wu Yifan, the CFO of a high-profile company. Even though she would like to say it's such a pleasure working under a handsome boss, she couldn't. 

Because every day was hell for her. 

It was not because the boss was horrible towards her, it was just that the boss is naturally horrible towards himself. From what Yue had observed, Yifan is uptight, meticulous, extremely smart, driven - everything combined with a dash of perfectionist made him an extremely busy person in the whole company. As his assistant, she became one of the most businest people in the company as well. It is called a good day if she get time to sit down and wind down for a little while. Her days are filled with her going back and forth from his office desk to hers, carrying papers to send out and receiving papers for him to sign, making calls for his appointments, receiving calls and confirming everything with him afterwards and filling in his diary. Sometimes she wondered whether she was living for him as his schedule planner. 

What about the one-night stand event? 

To Yue's delight, she couldn't see a glint of expression in his eyes that he remembered her. 'Maybe I got him on a day where he lets his socks off," she thought to herself when she noticed that Yifan is actually an extremly detailed person who doesn't miss a detail to get past him. Nevertheless, he has an impact on her. Her cheeks never seem to stop flushing whenever he was around. 

Their superior and underling relationship gets along very well. He calls her 'Yue' or 'Miss Wang' on formal occasions. She calls him 'Mr.Wu' or 'CFO Wu'  

~~~

"Yue," Yifan called her name on one of the Friday afternoons, "Mr.Wu?" she responded. 

"Are you free this weekend?" Her body turns rigid at the question, 'why are you asking me this?' 

"Apparently so, sir. Why?" 

"Would you mind accompanying me to one of the meetings? I've been going on weekend meetings by myself and it seemed like I couldn't get it right. I realized I needed my assistant," he looked at her apologetically, "I'll give you overtime wage for this." 

Yue smiled, "sure Mr.Wu. I would have done it even if you didn't give me an extra wage but this doesn't sound bad either," she chuckled. 

"Damn it!" Yifan started smiling delightfully, which left Yue mesmerized for she had never seen her boss smile. Despite his professional deadpan face he puts on for meetings, Yifan looks like a young boy when he smiles.

That was how both of them ended up at one of the island resort hotels the company manages during a weekend. Yifan asked her to take two rooms side by side; one for him and one for her. The thought of being at a resort hotel made her feel giddy with excitement for she loves resorts. Due to the warm weather on the island, she had packed in her swimsuit, just in case. 

She thought the island resort was the only happening for her but her boss managed to surprise her by telling her to book two business-class seats. 

"B-b-business class for me?" she stuttered as she was scribbling down his order before she booked. Yifan nodded, "why would I let my assistant get in a different class? No way. I have to work on new contracts and you're there to jot everything down," he replied cooly. 

The best thing she loved about business class was the comfort that the seat provide. Even though it was just a seat in the sky, it made the heaven and earth of a difference. She hardly felt restrained and constricted in the business-class as she worked on contracts with her boss, who had a furrow between his bold eyebrows from deep concentration on every single word on the contract drafts. It always surprises her about how concentrated he can be. She had never seen him drifting away into a lala land. 

~~~ 

The weekend meeting was a new experience for her. All the others important figures Yifan was meeting were all older than him, except two people. Lee Soohyuk and Kim Junmyeon. Lee Soohyuk is the CEO of a luxury products import company and Kim Junmyeon is Chief Risk Officer from the same company as Yifan. According to her boss' discontent voice, Soohyuk became the CEO only because he inherited the company from his father and Junmyeon's position was due to his father's connection. As Yifan spoke to her about the said two, she could feel the rivalry tension between him and the duo. 

She could not blame him for she felt the need to be competant compared to the assistants of two chiefs as well. 

If luxury handbags are essential to women, the same applies to these chiefs when it comes to personal assistans. Each and every single one of them has one assistant on hand, sometimes two. They were all carrying either a tablet or a diary, always jotting down what their boss was saying and record if needed. As the meeting progressed, the room was abuzzed with excitement from all the chiefs while their assistants sat behind the back, carefully making note of what their chiefs said. It was tiring but fulfilling for Yue. 

By the time the meeting was over on Sunday morning, it was almost 1pm. Yue and Yifan's flight depart at 4pm. With her brain feeling like a squashed sponge, she headed back to her room, to re-pack everything. 

"Yue," Yifan called her name as they both were about to enter the room, "don't bother packing up. Call the airline and switch the flight time to tomorrow. You don't mind flying straight into the office, right?" 

Yue looked up, "What?" she blinked, "you can do that?" Yifan chuckled, "Yeah, the company is a long term customer so you can do that. Let's go have dinner tonight. The treat is on me. I've tortured you enough," he punched in the numbers on his room door and entered after giving her a detailed set of instruction. 

~~~ 

By 7pm, both Yue and Yifan were at the restaurant in the resort. Yue had never seen Yifan in casual attire but seeing him in casual pieces such as loose fitting t-shirt, jeans and trainers was a strange sight to behold as she was used to see him in suits of different colours and patterns, carefully polished shoes and various shades of nice cotton shirts. He chuckled and shuffled his feet as he first appeared in front of her, "heh heh, this is awkward. I hate it when my assistants had this shocked face when they see me in casual attire," he remarked as he noticed her brow raise.

"Please order anything you like. The bill is seriously on me," Yifan announced as they both scanned. 

"Then, I won't hesitate, boss," she jokingly teased. Yifan glanced at her, "I have my corporate card," he patted his jeans pockets, which caused both of them to laugh out loud. 

"Any drinks for you, Mr.Wu?" the waiter asked politely as he poured water, "the usual for me. What would you like, Miss Wang?" 

"Fresh orange juice please," she smiled and replied. 

"You don't drink?" Yifan asked, "I try not to because I have the memory of a goldfish if I drink to much," she replied sheepishly and felt her face blushing as she remembered their first encounter, which he does not know. 

"Oh," Yifan nodded and agreed with her. 

The dinner was much different from the corporate lunches and dinner she had been attending for the past few days. It felt formal in a way but the atmosphere was relaxed and casual. Yue was glad that she was able to see her usually uptight boss revealing his youthful side of him, which is appropriate for his age, as opposed to the deadpan (which she calls ) face he puts on for corporate meetings. They both discussed about topics on their favorite music, movies and their own workplace. She was having so much fun when she excused herself from the table to sneak into the restroom. 

When she got back, Yifan's head was hanging forward. Yue thought he was asleep and shook his shoulder slightly, "Mr.Wu, I think you should go back." 

"Hey there pretty lady," he looked at her and winked at her. Yue stunned, 'what the hell just happened?' 

"You look so y, do you know?" he kept slurring his words. 'Oh god...please tell me he's not one of those flirtatious drunk...' she put her face into her palms. "That's it Mister, you're going back into your room," she lifted him up from underneath his armpits and supported him as they walked through. When the waiter approached then, she told them to put the tabs on their room number and signed the bill slip the waiter handed. 

They both walked up the foyer fine, the elevator fine but as they were walking towards his door, Yifan started to misbehave. He reached for her waist and pulled her in, "you smell very nice you know. Like flowers in spring," his eyes were half-closed. "Yes, I know," she answered as she tried to reach for his hotel key card in his jeans pockets. 

"Oh you naughty girl, what are you doing?" he mumbled and reached for her hads. He held her hand tight and pinned them on his room door. Yue was thanking the heavens that no one was passing by them because she'd hate it if anyone is to think that this uptight CFO is a hopeless drunk. He breathed out, which was laced with intoxicating smell of alcohol. Yue held her breath as she tried to wriggle her hands free from his grip but he wouldn't budge. 

She whispered, "you know, you should let my hand go so that I can show you a good time tonight." She was surprised at herself for saying out such words and completely horrified at herself. Yifan smirked, "I knew you couldn't resist me, baby girl. Come here," he let go pulled her into an embrace and started kissing her neckline. Feeling ticklish, she tilted her neck to prevent him from kissing further while her hands reached for his jeans pockets once more. She felt a hard plastic card in his pockets and fished it out. 

"Yifan?" she shrugged her shoulders, no response. "Yifan?" Still no reponse. She giggled and let the big guy lean on her, who was much heavier than she had expected. She carefully dragged him to the bed and threw him on it. "Phewwww!" she put her hands on her hips as she looked at her CFO, completely passed out cold. Yue left the room after she made sure he was wrapped up warm in the duvet. 

The next day, Yifan came out from his room like nothing happened, a much surprise to her. "Good day, Yue," he greeted politely. His CFO self returned. 

"Boss," she called, "you owe me $400 from yesterday?" His eyes widened, "serious? Oh god, I'm so sorry," he reached for his inner pocket in his jacket for the wallet. She smiled and told him that she was just kidding. 

The weekend work trip made her realize something, Yifan is also a hopeless drunk like her with a goldfish memory. 

xxx 

[Note:] if you had enjoyed it, please do let me know because that will make my day. Seriously.