Chapter 4

The ahjussi, the father and the boyfriend

Accompanying track: Cupid by Girls Day (acoustic version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDHgjaD959c

Seven years later

It was a bright, sunny day. So-mi stands in front of the gates that she had become so familiar with in the past years. So-mi has grown to become a beautiful young woman; she looks dazzling, even in her grey and white uniform. Beside her, three men stand. First, detective Kim Chi-won - now chief Kim Chi-won, the ever hungry ahjussi who always bickers with her. Next, detective Lee Woo-jin, the detective that took her to see Chi-won all those years ago. Whenever his chief Kim was busy, he would happily accompany So-mi to prison, the two of them together have become the most troublesome and annoying duo in Chi-won’s life. Being with them always makes him age ten years. Lastly, with the cute new glasses So-mi recently bought him, Kwon Seon-deok has never looked younger. From the day So-mi found her harabeoji, she would visit everyday and would frequently stay over. Mr. Seo suggested that he might as well adopt her, so that’s exactly what he did. Together they live in his little house, So-mi has now mastered the art of drinking hot tea and owns the largest collection of Yu-gi-oh cards in her school. Three out of the four most important men in her life. Together, they are waiting for the last man.

* * * * *

Seoul District Prison. Cha Tae-shik is finally leaving. After one long look, he walks off. Thanks to his daily exercise, he is looking as fit as ever, still handsome in his black leather jacket, black jeans and aviators. He had no personal belongings inside and so leaves with only a big brown paper envelope with his release documentation. 

Making his way past the last checkpoint, he eyes his welcoming party.

Seeing her favourite person in the world, So-mi can’t help the large smile that makes its way onto her face.

Standing in front of them, Tae-shik looks at one man to another, nodding at them before his eyes land on So-mi.

“Ahjussi, are you a gangster?” So-mi cheekily asks.

Tae-shik can’t help but think back to the time when a little So-mi had casually asked the exact same question, not afraid at all. Unable to hold it in, his lips tug into a smile.  

This time, he is the one who opens his arms.

Looking at him, So-mi immediately runs towards him, grasping tight when she reaches him. Even though they’ve been able to chat over the years, it was only once a month; and every time they were separated by the plastic shield, the only contact, their hands on either side of the shield, an action that became tradition at the end of each visit. To be able to hug him, a few tears slip out of So-mi’s eyes.

“Are you crying?” Tae-shik asks her.

She chokes a laugh.

Letting go they both laugh at each other.

An over-excited detective Lee jumps at him and grabs his hand shaking it vigorously.

“Nice to formally meet you! I’m Lee Woo-jin” he exclaims.

With a hand to his face Kim Chi-won is utterly embarrassed by his junior.

Kwon Seong-deok waddles up to Tae-shik.

“Hello again. I’ve been looking after your daughter for you, it’s great that your back. Welcome.”

A look of awkwardness flashes across Tae-shik’s face while confusion hangs off the face of the detectives.

“Harabeoji! How many time have I told you ahjussi is just my ahjussi!” So-mi grumpily nags.

A round of awkward laughter sound from the others.

Kim Chi-won clumsily pats Tae-shik’s shoulder in greeting and they all head towards the car.

Seeing the police car, Tae-shik sends a questioning glance to him.

Seeing this, So-mi voices her dissatisfaction as well.

“I told this cop ahjussi to bring a different car but he couldn’t be bothered to. If the kids at school find out how frequently I’m in a police car, nobody would be my friend.” She huffs.

Sending her a glare, Detective Kim knocks her on the forehead.”

“Aish… Brat. How dare you? Be happy that I even drive you around.” He scolds.

Pouting, So-mi rubs her sore head and pulls a face at him. “Mehrong” XP and dashes to open the car door.

Piling into the back seat, So-mi is wedged between her ahjussi and detective Kim. As detective Lee starts the car So-mi rifles through her pocket, finally pulling out an old mp3 player.

“Ahjussi do you remember this? My sense in music has gotten a lot better, do you want to listen?” So-mi inquires, passing the player to him.

“You do know that I don’t have money to trade you right?” Tae-shik asks.

Grinning, So-mi replies.

“Of course, that’s okay, you can listen to it for free this time. Think of it as a welcome home present.”

Sitting comfortably, Tae-shik and So-mi have one earphone each, letting the music consume them as they both reminisce the last time everything was so peaceful.

* * * * *

As the happily reunited group drives away, another man clad in black walks out of the prison. A sinister smirk appears on his face as he stares into the distance.

“Let’s see how long you can laugh for.”