Chapter 2

The ahjussi, the father and the boyfriend

Making her way towards the counter, she stood on her toes and peered up.

“Excuse me sir. I want to see my ahjussi.” She softly inquired.

“Hello, kid. Who is your ahjussi? Does he work here?” the officer kindly replied.

“Cha Tae-shik.” She stated.

Hearing the name, a shiver ran down his back. The rumours had made its way to their station too, the cold-blooded murderer who had recently been sentenced.

“Are you sure that is his name?” the officer smiled.

“Yeah, he’s in prison and I need to see him.” She clearly replied.

The officer’s face contorted. Who is this little girl? How can such a cute kid be related to that criminal? He pondered.

“Where are your parents little one?”

“They’re gone. I only have ahjussi.” She earnestly replied.

“You must be confused, come on kid, why don’t I take you home.” He suggested.

The officer turned around to get out of the counter, as he made his way round, the girl was nowhere to be seen.

* * * * *

Blowing air into her cheeks, So-mi huffed out. That useless cop. She needed to find her ahjussi. Now where to go?

She wandered around aimlessly, racking her little brain on how she should find her ahjussi.

The sun had gone down, a sharp breeze cut through the open air. So-mi hugged her arms around herself, hoping to keep warm.

After who knows how long, So-mi looked up to try and figure out where she was. To her surprise, she recognised the place. It was the convenient store where she last saw ahjussi. Walking closer, she saw a short, stout figure closing up.

“Harabeoji!” she cried out.

Kwon Seong-deok turned around. Pushing his glasses back up his nose, he squinted his eyes at the little figure running towards him.

“Aiyo!” he grunted out as So-mi clutched onto him.

“Hey kid, how’ve you been?” He chuckled.

As the sun set above them, the two laughed and chatted as he led her to his house.

Telling her to sit at the table, Song-deok went to make some tea.

So-mi looked around, the place wasn’t very big but it was very cosy.

“Harabeoji, do you live by yourself?” she looked at him with her round curious eyes.

Smiling, he brought over two steaming cups of the copper coloured liquid.

“Yes kid. Why are you out by yourself again?”

“I was looking for ahjussi. I went to the police station but they weren’t very helpful so I left, but then I got lost.” She replied, sheepishly rubbing the back of her neck.

“Ahhhh, so where do you live now?” Seong-deok took a sip of his tea.

“At the Cheon Sa Orphanage.” So-mi took a sip of the tea too but immediately spit the scalding liquid back out.

“Hot!” she hissed.

Seong-deok couldn’t help but laugh at the little girl.

“Did you run out without telling anyone where you were going?” he narrowed his eyes at her.

“How did you know?” she grinned.

“Because I have magic. Don’t ever do that again, they must be worried sick about you.”

He glanced at the clock hanging above her head.

“It’s late now, so you can stay tonight but we will go back first thing in the morning okay?” he berated.

Giving a wide smile, So-mi nodded vigourously.

After So-mi had settled down in the spare room, Seong-deok switched off the light. At the door, he turned back to look at her and gave a smile before whispering.

“Goodnight kid.”

* * * * *

Knock, knock, knock!

“Ouch!” A hoarse voice hissed.

Rolling out of bed, Mr. Seo had stubbed his toe on the table leg. Who was here so early in the morning he wondered.

As the door opened, the two figures were greeted by a sleepy face accompanied by a nest of bed hair.

Attempting to smooth down his hair, Mr. Seo squinted at the two people. A confused look shot across his face.

“Jung So-mi? What are you doing up so early?... and who might you be sir?”

The two figures smiled brightly at him.

“Good morning Mr. Seo” So-mi chirped.

“I’m this kid’s friend, she stayed at my place last night and now I’m bringing her back.” Seong-deok enthusiastically replied.

Handing So-mi over, Seong-deok waved goodbye and turned to leave.

Mr. Seo looked at the little girl beside him, she looked back up at him happily. Still muddled about what just happened, Mr. Seo sent her back to her room and decided he needed a cup of coffee.

* * * * *

Walking back to the girls’ room, a light-bulb flashed in So-mi’s mind.

“Ahhhh, Ahjussi!” she exclaimed.

How can I find him? She wondered as she paced back and forth in the empty playground. How? How? Wracking her brains, So-mi shut her eyes and forced herself to think.

“Ahhhh!” another shout cut through the early morning silence.

Sprinting to her room, she rummaged through a pile of things before laying eyes on her pink backpack. ping the little compartment at the front, she pulled out a rumpled piece of card.

DETECTIVE: KIM CHI-WON, followed by a line of words she couldn’t read yet.

Clasping the card tightly in her hands, So-mi ran off again. She easily made her way back to yesterday’s police station. Since she was young, So-mi was left to herself, so she needed to find her way around by herself. Now, as long as she’s been somewhere once, she’ll remember how to get there again.

Stepping up to the counter, on her tip-toes she held up the card and spoke.

“I’m looking for this person, where can I find him?” 

“Ahh, yes, detective Kim, he’s in his office. I’ll take you to him. Follow me.” the officer gently replied.

Yes! What a nice person, So-mi thought.

Pattering after him, they came to a black metal door. Knocking twice, the officer opened the door.

Sitting at the table, Kim Chi-won held a sandwich in both hands, ready to take a bite. Sighing, he looked up. Can’t a man eat breakfast in peace?

“Detective Lee, what is it?” Kim Chi-won huffed in frustration.

Smiling sheepishly, detective Lee gently pushed So-mi forward.

“Kid? What are you doing here?” Kim Chi-won asked and motioned for detective Lee to leave.

Walking up to his desk, So-mi propped herself up on a chair.

“Can you take me to see ahjussi?” she asked.

“Cha Tae-shik?” he questioned.

“Yeah, I saw you on TV with him. I want to see ahjussi.” She answered.

Kim Chi-won looked at her and pondered for a moment. Why not? The kid was with him at the end, he would want to see her too. With that decision, he picked up his jacket and keys and proceeded to the door. Looking back, So-mi was in a bit of a daze.

“Well. Come on, I haven’t got all day.” He nagged.

With a big smile across her face, So-mi jumped off the chair and raced after the detective.