Chapter 3

The ahjussi, the father and the boyfriend

For the past week, Cha Tae-shik had fallen into a routine. He would wake up bright and early, before anyone else. Go on a jog, get some exercise done and then freshen up. After that would be breakfast, there was not much to choose from so he would grab a piece of fruit and a carton of milk. Then for the most part of the day he would be reading in the recreation room, reading the newspaper, reading about history, reading about science.

Today was a typical day, Cha Tae-shik happily sat on the sofa and was reading the newspaper. Halfway through an article about the newest NASA discovery, three men walked into the room. At the front was a surly, unshaven man with a nasty scar below his right eye. As he strutted by he accidentally bumped into Tae-shik’s head and plonked himself onto the couch opposite of Tae-shik. Lee Jae-wook, ex-triad leader. Three years ago, Tae-shik’s last mission in special ops, the scar was his doing. This man deserves to rot in jail for the rest of his life. As Lee Jae-wook sneered at him, Tae-shik acted like he wasn’t even there.

Cha Tae-shik did not need anymore trouble in his life. He was going to quietly finish his sentence and quickly leave this place, so he continued to read his article.

* * * * *

The police car slinked into the prison compound like a cat towards its prey. Stopping at a checkpoint, Kim Chi-won flashed his pass and was let through. With a hand on the little girl’s shoulder, he led through scans and more checkpoints, then finally the arrived at the visiting area.

So-mi looked around nervously as she was led to a room lined with visiting booths. Sitting down in front of the plastic see through screen she eyed the phone set attached to the wall. What a weird place, why were there so many phones she wondered. Detective Kim handed her a pass to put around her neck and put one around his own. She looked up with eyes full of questions.

Kim Chi-won sighed and pulled up a chair besides her.

“These are to identify you.” He held up his pass. “Whenever you come visit, you need to get one of these at the front office before you are allowed to visit.” He explained.

So-mi sat and listened carefully. 

“And later, you will be using these phones to speak to Cha Tae-shik because these are weapon proof and sound proof barriers.” He knocked on the screen to make his point.

“Understood!” So-mi replied with a salute and smiled.

Sitting in her chair, she constantly looked around, trying to see when her ahjussi was coming out. After a few minutes, she got up and picked the phone of the wall and put it to her ears, curious as to what she would be able to hear. She tried speaking into it, but was disappointed that all she got was a muffled buzzing noise.

Kim Chi-won looked on in amusement. What a curious kid.

* * * * *

Cha Tae-shik continued to flick through his newspaper when another person walked into the room. It was an officer. Sending Lee Jae-wook an inquisitive glance he motioned to Tae-shik.

“You have visitors.” The officer stated as he led Tae-shik to the visiting area.

“You have an hour, no funny business unless you never want visitors again. Understood?” he warned

Cha Tae-shik gave a dazed nod and walked out. Who would be visiting him? There weren’t many people who knew him. He continued to follow the officer until they reached a booth.

When he looked up, a jumble of emotions tumbled across his face. He wasn’t sure whether he felt like laughing or crying so ended up with a grimace on his face. Looking back at him was So-mi who had managed to plaster herself against the plastic shield and smiled brightly at him.

Tae-shik faltered to his seat and stared at the little girl in front of him in awe. So-mi got back into her seat and held the phone to her ear, motioning for Tae-shik to do the same. Without looking away, Tae-shik carefully reached for the phone. As he held it to his ear, an excited squeal came through from the other side.

“Ahjussi!”

A small smile broke out on his face, at the same time tears welled up in his eyes, threatening to spill over.

“Ahjussi, can you hear me?” So-mi queried.

Tae-shik slightly nodded his head. So-mi smiled in reply.

“Ahjussi, this is the second time I’ve seen you smile! You should smile more.”

Tae-shik nodded his head again as he continued to stare at the little girl in front of him.

“How have you been?” he croaked out after a while.

That was enough to set So-mi off as she rattled on about the things she had done and seen in the last two weeks – the new Yu-gi-oh cards she had acquired, the new nail art she came up with and another tooth that was coming loose. Tae-shik just sat in his seat and took in the fact that she was in front of him and took in everything she said. Just like old times.

All too soon, the officer that had brought him in tapped on his shoulder. Seeing the officer behind Tae-shik, So-mi’s lips jutted out into a pout. Tae-shik lifted his hand and placed his open palm against the shield where So-mi’s hand lay, if he only he could actually hold her hand. Looking at their hands, Tae-shik whispered into the phone.

“See you, kid.”

Putting the phone down, he stood up. At the same time, detective Kim Chi-won also stood up. It was only then that Tae-shik realised he was there. They nodded at each other, Tae-shik took one last look at So-mi and then turned away.

“Goodbye Ahjussi.” So-mi dejectedly waved.

Grumbling something about being hungry, sleepy and forgotten, detective Kim Chi-won ushered So-mi out.

“Can I come see Ahjussi tomorrow?” So-mi asked.

Kim Chi-won chuckled at the silly thought.

“Of course not, do you think prison is your playground kid? You can only visit him once a month.” He answered.

“Once a month! That’s so long” So-mi exclaimed.

Looking at his watch, Kim Chi-won replied.

“Today is the 11th, I’ll make a deal with you. I’ll take you here every month on the 11th and you promise to stay out of trouble during that time. Ok?” he held out his hand.

“Deal!” So-mi promised as they shook on it.

Laughing they made their way back to the car.

Kim Chi-won then drove them back to the police station to grab his long-awaited breakfast before delivering So-mi back to the orphanage.

So-mi stood at the gates and watched the car until it turned the corner. Then she immediately rushed off to her favourite convenient store to find her second most favourite person in the world.