-1-

Love Is

“Yah, sleepyhead! Wake up! We almost arrive at the mall.” Chansung shook Junho’s body. “You can’t keep sleeping, you hear me?” other band mates laughed at Junho who was sitting on the front seat of their van. Even the manager, who was being the driver that day, laughed at him.

 

Junho groaned. Chansung really ruined his beautiful dream. “Yah, you guys should let me sleep more! I can’t see the end of my dream.” He pouted and rubbed his eyes lazily.

Chansung chuckled. “What did you dream about?”

“A girl.” Junho yawned.

All of his band mates laughed at him. Well, Junho didn’t ask them to believe what he said anyways. But, he really dreamt about a girl. It wasn’t a good dream since he couldn’t see the ending. It’s all Chansung’s fault, he muttered under his breath.

Even though they laughed at him, they looked a bit curious. Wooyoung then asked. “What happened with your girl then?” he mocked.

“I don’t know. She disappeared.” Junho replied and rubbed his eyes again. “We were on a vacation and we just got outside the car, looking around. And that was the time when Chansung woke me up.” He sounded pissed off. The others laughed happily.

“Do you know this girl? I mean, is she your friend or something?” It was Taekyeon who asked this question.

Junho shook his head. “No. I didn’t even remember her face. Well, I couldn’t see her face.” He mumbled. That was the thing he regretted so much. Everything was all blurry.

“Well, we often forget the faces we see in our dreams.” Chansung said wisely. “I never remember my dreams, neither. I always forget it, too many things happen in my dreams.” He laughed, so did the others.

No, there was something Junho remembered from his dream. It was...

“Oh, I remember something!” he exclaimed all of sudden. All his band mates furrowed eyebrows at him. Junho turned around and stared at his friends. “I remember how her hand looks like!”

They were all dumbfounded. “What?”

 

 

“Yah Lee Junho, you can’t always stare at fans’ hands. You should see their face. They really look that they want to talk to you.” Wooyoung spat at Junho. Junho plastered an annoyed expression even though he knew it was his fault. Well, it was his fault that he didn’t focus himself on this fansign today. His rock band made a new album earlier in this month and along this week, they would be busy doing fansign. It was fun, actually, but today Junho just focused to see their fans’ hand, every time they reached his desk. He needed to find the owner of the hand in his dream.

He was too much, wasn’t he?

He couldn’t blame himself. His dream felt so real. He really felt such comfortable feeling with the owner of the hand. What made him think so? It was just because they held hands in his dream. They were really close in his dream, but he’s got no many chances to talk. She was the one who talked a lot. He didn’t even remember how they ended up together on a vacation, but he really remembered the way she held his hand. He even remembered that she had a silver bracelet with the ice crystals symbol around it around her wrist, and he also remembered the shape of her nails. Wasn’t he really crazy? Why was he looking for that girl now? It was just a dream, he shouldn’t take it serious.

But, he didn’t get it why he thought he could find her in real life.

“We’ve finished for the day, haven’t we?” Junho asked Taekyeon. They were in a restaurant not far from the mall where the fansign was held two hours ago. They were ordering more food since the kids were still hungry.

“What do you mean?” Taekyeon knitted brows together.

“Schedule.” Junho tried to make it clear. “We don’t have any schedule for tonight, right?”

“No. We don’t have any. The last event for today was the fansign.” Taekyeon answered. Junho nodded in response. Taekyeon raised an eyebrow. “Why? Do you have any plans?” he sounded curious.

“What? No. Of course not. I’m just tired and sleepy.” Junho yawned awkwardly. Taekyeon just smiled.

“Tired because you kept looking at fans’ hands all the time?” this time, Taekyeon laughed. Junho just kept his face expressionless. Of course all his band mates knew what he had done today. It was embarrassing though.

“Tell the kids I’m going to sleep on the van.” He patted Taekyeon’s shoulder and walked toward the door.

 

 

Was he really sleeping on the van? Of course not. He was walking on the street in disguise. It was always nice to walk alone like this, without his noisy band mates. He didn’t do this often but now, he needed to refresh his mind. His head was full of the thought to find the girl in his dream earlier. He needed to clear his brain of that thought or else he would be crazy. Well, he was already crazy, at the time he started to only look at their fans’ hands.

Well, yeah.

Even if he was in disguise, he couldn’t leave his guitar alone. He still looked as a rock star, even in a disguise. He just hoped all the people didn’t recognize him. He didn’t want to make trouble because of his little night walk. He didn’t know where to go, but then he got on a train. There were no many people in that train even though it was not that late. It was just 8 pm. Junho got the seat near the door. After that, a girl with short hair about her shoulder sat beside him. And then, an old couple sat beside the girl. There was a beautiful girl with long hair sitting across him, but she was with her boyfriend. And there were two guys talking seriously about something, but he couldn’t hear them. He had planned to sleep on this train, or at least, he would just close his eyes, trying to refresh his mind.

The train already left the station.

And that time, he heard a scream.

He opened his eyes and saw the two guys earlier were already fighting and one of them fell to the ground. All the other passengers started to be panicked and screamed. He saw the girl beside him trembling. She shut her eyes. She didn’t stop shivering, showing how frightened she was to face something bad like this. He felt scared, too. But he tried to read the situation, how the guys fought with each other.

The others screamed again as they saw the guy on the floor’s head was stepped by the other guy. The other guy looked a bit drunk. The drunken guy then took something from his pocket. Junho’s eyes widened. It was a freaking knife! Is he really going to kill his friend? To his surprise, the drunken guy stabbed the other guy’s stomach. Screams were all on the train again.

“That’s for not lending me money!” that drunken guy shouted drunkenly. The guy on the floor was barely breathing. He tried so hard to catch air with his mouth as he was holding his stomach. Blood was everywhere. Junho was so shocked to see the view. He never saw something like this in front of his eyes.

“YAH EVERYONE!” that drunken guy shouted once again. He looked around and stared at all the passengers. “Don’t stare because you guys will end up the same with this guy.” He kicked the guy on the floor who almost passed out. “Now give me all your money!” he pointed all the passengers with the bloody knife in his hand. “NOW!”

Damn it, Junho hissed silently. He just went out for a while and now he was robbed. That wasn’t cool, really. His sneaking out ended up in a bad thing.  He unwillingly looked in his purse. He didn’t bring much money, just some money to buy snacks and drinks. He also didn’t bring his card today, which was a relief since he faced this kind of situation right now. He sighed and tried to take a look to that drunken guy. He was busy collecting the wallets from all the passengers. He would get here sooner. Junho just needed to prepare himself to give the guy his purse. He glanced at the girl beside him. She shivered even more, her hands shaking. She couldn’t even move her hands and kept holding her handbag. Junho realized the girl keeping something important in her bag. Maybe much money that she couldn’t give to the drunken guy.

“Yah, Agassi, give me your wallet.”

That drunken guy was already standing in front of the girl. The girl frozen and just stared at the guy with frightened and widened eyes. Her hands were still on the bag. She didn’t plan to give it to the guy.

The guy hissed and tried to take the bag from her. But, she still held the bag tightly. “Aish, this Agassi is really...” with stronger power, he took the bag from the girl. He then smirked. “You should give it without any hesitation, Agassi. Or I’ll kill you.”

“Give it back!” she shouted and tried to take the bag from the man. Junho got surprised. Why does this girl try to fight? She will definitely lose!

“YAH!” the drunken man shouted and kept pulling the bag from her. She didn’t look that strong but surprisingly she kept pulling her bag. At last, she fell to the floor, but the bag was in the drunken guy’s hand. He looked angrily at her. “You shouldn’t do this, Agassi, because right now, you’ll be dead.” He pointed the knife at her. He was about to stab the girl as Junho hit his hand. The knife flied and fell to the floor.

The guy attention now was on Junho. He looked angrier than before. O-oh, Junho was really in a trouble. But, he still couldn’t let this guy kill the girl, right? He didn’t want to see any other murder in front of his eyes.

“How dare you interfere with my business, young man! Do you wanna die?!”

O-oh, Junho was really in a big trouble.

But, he had no other choice except continued what he had started.

Junho was already standing in front of the girl. He looked at the drunken man intently. He looked like he would kill Junho soon. He really meant it, because before Junho did anything to the fallen knife, the guy had taken it. The knife was in his hand again.

“You want to be a hero, huh?” the guy mocked. “But, no, I won’t let you to do so. You have to be dead.” He ran to Junho and tried to stab him. Junho tried his best to avoid the knife. He got a chance to smack the guy on the stomach and the knife once again fell from that guy’s hand. Junho kicked the knife so it wouldn’t be in the guy’s reach anymore. He became panicked when all the passengers screamed again. That was the time when the guy punched him right on his face.

Junho fell backwards. The guy ran to him again and was going to kick and punch him as the officers from the other part of the train came. They took the drunken guy with them forcefully.

Junho let out a heavy sigh.

It was over now.

 

 

“Thank you. Thank you so much!” the girl Junho helped earlier just kept bowing at him. She looked so grateful that Junho saved her life and also her bag. Junho was really sure there was something important in her bag. They were now in the next station. Everyone had got their wallets back. At the time the train had stopped in the next station, it was the time when there were some police office coming and brought the drunken guy with them. Junho was so thankful everyone was safe, but he was still not sure about the guy’s friend earlier. He had collapsed, and some people from the nearest hospital came and took him. He didn’t make any move and he had lost so much blood, but it looked like he was still breathing. He would survive, Junho was really sure of it.

“It’s alright. I’m glad I could help you.” He chuckled as he touched his cheek. Heck, that guy’s punch was really strong. He just hoped it didn’t leave any bruise. What would he say to his manager then? He still had many fansign to attend. He couldn’t go with bruise on his face. Well, he could think about it later.

“I really don’t know if you didn’t help me earlier.” The girl said. “I don’t know what to do if I lost this bag.”

Junho glanced at her bag. “You have something important in it, don’t you?”

“Yes. A big amount of money.” She said to him honestly. Junho nodded. His guess was really right, there was something important in the bag. The girl then continued,”I work in an orphanage. All these money is from some people who donated their money for the orphanage. I was just given the money tonight, there was a charity event this evening. Since I was in the charge to bring the money to the orphanage, I had no other choice to take them all with me.”

Junho knew how important the money for her. She even almost sacrificed her own life to get the money back. Junho could also imagine if she ever lost the money. She would be blamed and it would be difficult for the kids there. Well, he really knew that feeling.

“I’m so grateful you didn’t lose the bag.” Junho smiled. “You’re so brave earlier.”

The girl smiled shyly. “I’m not brave. Actually I was really scared. My body was shaking.” She laughed. Junho also laughed. This girl is actually funny. But, the thing he was still confused was the girl didn’t recognize him. They were standing face to face like this. She could clearly see his face, but why didn’t she give any signs that she knows him? Or maybe, she wasn’t one of his fans? But to his surprise, she suddenly asked

“Where do you work?”

“Ah,” he couldn’t say the truth, could he? Would she believe him if he tells her the truth? He didn’t know why he wanted to lie to her. “I’m working as a private guitar teacher.” Yes, he didn’t completely lie. He was a guitar teacher, but in the past, when he was still in college and he hadn’t met all of his band mates.

“That’s cool!” she smiled. “I always want to learn how to play the guitar. But, I just know how to play violin.”

Junho widened his eyes. “You play violin?”

“Yes, a little bit.” She then told him about the activities held in the orphanage. There was a music teacher who came once a week and taught them about music. The kids really loved music, especially classical music. That’s why the teacher came with some instruments one day and the kids started to learn since that day. That was really interesting. It was more interesting to see the way this girl told him. She was really attractive every time she talked. She would do some gestures so that you would really understand what she was saying. Her eyes were also sparkling. It was really nice to see everyone who really loved their job. She looked like she enjoyed her job. Junho really liked it.

He still wanted to talk with the girl, but he realized he should be back on their van. His band mates probably would look for him if they figured out that he wasn’t there.

“Well, it’s really nice to meet you, but I have to go.” At last he said it regretfully. The girl nodded but she was still smiling.

“Thank you so much for your help earlier.” She said sincerely.

“My pleasure.” He replied. He then fixed his hat and the bag of his guitar on his shoulder. He was about to leave when the girl said

“Can I do something for you? I should pay you back. You saved my life.”

Junho was surprised. He blinked and got confused what he should answer. “That’s nothing, really. You don’t need to do anything for me.”

She shook her head. “No. I should do something for you.” She tapped her chin with her finger. “What about lunch? Is it good?” she smiled brightly.

Junho couldn’t answer her, because he was really shocked.

He saw the bracelet, the silver bracelet with ice crystals symbol around it. It was around this girl’s wrist.

No, it can’t be real.

Junho stared at her fingers. He got really shocked when he found out that the shape of her nails were the same as he remembered from his dream. The nails were plain, no nail polish. Her fingers were indeed slender, but the nails were not that long.

Oh God, it’s really real. It’s really her.

She thought that Junho agreed her idea. She then gladly gave her phone number. He typed her number in his phone, even though he was still shocked and speechless. He gave her a call. After one ring, she got his number and saved it. She told him her name before she walked away.

Junho really didn’t know what he should do now.

 

 

“You like to stare at people’s hands before and now you like to stare at your phone.” Wooyoung made sounds like a lizard when he saw Junho was lying on the bed and looking at his phone intently.

“Shut up. I’m waiting for something important.” Junho hissed and kept looking at his phone.

“What now? You’re waiting for calls? Texts?” Wooyoung snorted. “From whom? Your mom?” he chuckled.

“No. From a girl.” Junho replied simply, still staring at his phone.

Really, why didn’t he get texts or calls from her in these past three days? He thought he was already crazy since all he could do was just staring at his phone. He really hoped she would contact him. But, why he got no texts and calls? Didn’t she want to see him again for lunch?

“What? A girl?” Wooyoung sounded surprised. “Which girl?”

“That girl, the girl in my dream.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’ve told you about this, remember? I’m sure I’ve told everyone.” Junho was still busy with his phone.

“You haven’t told me anything, dude.” Wooyoung insisted.

Junho turned around to see Wooyoung. “I’ve told you, right, about a girl I met in my dream three days ago?”

Wooyoung nodded. “What’s with that girl, then?”

“I met her in real life, and she said she wanted to treat me lunch.” Junho replied. Of course he didn’t tell his friend about what had happened that night on the train. If he did, it meant that all his band mates would know he went somewhere and not sleeping on the van.

Wooyoung was still confused. “You said you met her? But, you’ve said that you didn’t remember her face, how could you recognize her?”

“I’ve told you, right,” Junho smirked,”I still remembered her hand. She had a silver bracelet.”

“Are you serious she’s the girl you saw in your dream?” Wooyoung looked so surprised.

“Yes.”

“That’s crazy!”

“It is.”

“But, why did she want to treat you lunch?”

Junho frozen at this question. “A-ah, it’s a long story.”

Wooyoung narrowed his tiny eyes. “Something happened, right?”

Junho didn’t need to reply the question because he got a text. He smiled happily like an idiot. It was really from her! She asked if he was busy, if he wasn’t, she wanted to see him in a cafe near the orphanage. She had written the address.

Junho hurriedly took his jacket from his closet. He also grabbed his hat and wallet on the table. “I’m leaving!” he shouted happily and stormed out the room.

“Yah, Lee Junho, we have a schedule this evening!”

“I’ll be back!” that was Junho’s answer.

 

 

Junho couldn’t stop smiling. He was really happy that finally he met the girl. The girl greeted him happily when he had reached the cafe. She had been waiting for him in front of the cafe, but she didn’t mind. She looked as happy as Junho. Junho could feel his heart beating so fast. O-oh, this was not normal. He was going crazy.

“Aren’t you busy today?” she asked when they started to eat their meal. Junho looked up at her and smiled.

“I have a fansi—ah, a student this evening.” He laughed awkwardly. She nodded in response.

“I kept thinking I would bother you, so I really hesitated to send you a text.” She told him. “But, it’s a good thing I won’t bother your work today.”

“You can send me text anytime. That’s okay.” He smiled sincerely. I’ve been waiting for your texts in these past three days. I don’t mind you send me more texts.

“You know, I’ve told all the people in the orphanage about what had happened to me three days ago. I told them about you.” She was still smiling, it was so beautiful that he mesmerized. He kept glancing at her hand. He stared at the bracelet. It was really true, he wasn’t dreaming. She was really the girl in his dream. “They all really thanked you and they said they wanted to meet you.” She added.

He blinked. He was a bit surprised since he was looking at her hand all the time. “Oh, really?” did she really tell them everything? He never expected she would do it.

“What do you think? You can come with me to the orphanage.” She said, smiling.

“Can I really come?” he blinked once again.

“Of course! Everyone will be so happy.” She smiled brightly. “So, what do you think? There are many things you can do there. And hey, you can teach the kids about playing the guitar. It’ll be great!”

If I ever have no many schedules.

Junho tried to talk to her. “I can’t promise you I will come. I’d really loved to, but...”

“No need to worry.” She smiled warmly. “Just come whenever you’re not busy. You have many students to teach, don’t you?”

I have many fansign and some other performances on music shows, concerts...

“Yeah.” He nodded awkwardly. He sighed. He knew he couldn’t lie to her, but he had no choice. She still looked that she didn’t know him as a guitarist of a famous rock band in Korea. He thought it would be great to lie like this. But, if they were getting closer, at the end, it would become a problem.

He looked up at stared at her. He still wanted to know.

Yes, he still wanted to know the comfortable feeling he got when he was with her. He already felt it now, but he hadn’t had her hand in his.

Did it mean he still needs to get closer with her?

Well, he couldn’t lie that he wasn’t interested in her.

“When can I see you again?” that was the question he asked to the girl. The girl smiled brightly. Well, she always smiled brightly to everyone. She was really a cheerful person. But, she didn’t even know the effects of her smile. It could make him couldn’t feel his own heartbeat, because his heart worked too hard.

“I’m always in the orphanage. You can come anytime you want. Just send me a text.”

Junho smiled slightly. “What about a call?”

She smiled and nodded.

 

 

How could he feel happy other than this? He and the girl got really close. They often gave each other calls and texts. He was really happy every time he got texts and calls from her. They really became good friends. But, he still hadn’t come to the orphanage. He was really busy with his schedules with his band. They even came to other cities for five days, but of course, he told her that he had many students to teach.

“Can you come to the orphanage this weekend?” she asked on the other line. “The kids really want to see you.” She giggled.

Junho turned around and looked at his band mates. They were discussing about an event they wanted to hold at the end of this month. They almost decided the best event when Junho’s phone vibrated. He then tried to remember their schedule this weekend. Hey, they had to perform on a music show. He sighed. How can I meet her, then?

“I-I don’t really know I can come or not...”

“You surely have many students. You’re so busy.” She said and laughed.

Actually, I have so many schedules...

He then remembered they would have no schedule after the music show. “Hey, I think I can come.” He grinned.

She sounded really happy. “Really?”

“Sure. I will call you later, okay?”

“See you on weekend!”

He smiled slightly. “See you!” the call was hung up and then he joined his friends again. They all looked at him interestingly, but they all really knew everything. Wooyoung told them anyways.

“What’s now?” Wooyoung asked Junho.

“This weekend, after our schedule, I will meet her.” He replied simply.

Taekyeon laughed. “A date, huh?” Junho’s eyes widened in surprise.

“That’s not a date! I just go to the place where she works.” Junho told him.

“Awww, really?” Chansung mocked him. Junho looked a bit annoyed. “Aren’t you two already dating?”

Junho didn’t know how to answer. “U-uh, well, not yet.”

“But, you like her, right?”

Junho blinked. “Is it really obvious?”

“Of course, you silly.” Wooyoung said, patting Junho’s head. Junho frowned. “You always smile like an idiot every time you get calls and texts from her. You always talk about her in front of us. If you don’t like her, why did you do that?”

Junho just nodded. Heck, he was really obvious about his feelings. He couldn’t even hide his feelings. He was really happy to meet her, he couldn’t deny that fact. He was really happy they could get closer like this. He often asked this to himself, did she feel that feeling, too? He couldn’t even predict her feeling for him. She treated him like an old friend. She was all friendly to everyone, he could tell. She always smiled and responded every single matter you told her. She really cared to everyone and she looked always happy.

That was why Junho couldn’t know her true feelings. It was so nice to be beside her. Would he feel that nice feeling forever?

Well, no one knew.