06

The Little Bumblebee

Confession? Or ice cream?


"Kai, you can bring me anywhere and I'd still be okay with it."

Kai chuckles at your words and says, "Okay, stay where you are. I'll meet you outside your class."

You tell him your location and you're almost sure that you already hear him running to you before you hang up. You wait patiently outside the building where your last lesson was held. Just on time, someone taps your shoulder from behind and you grin, too happy to be seeing Kai again. But your smile falters slightly when you see it's just Sehun.

He looks as handsome as always, his hair styled up. No matter how fierce he appears to be, he always looks at you like you're the most fragile being on earth. And you like that feeling. However, you like it even more when you see it on Kai. Sehun greets you with an eye smile.

"Heya, cutie."

"Hey," you drawl. You glance behind him and your eyes sparkle at that boy who knows how to make your heart do flips like it's his job.

Kai notices you and Sehun interacting. You are aware that he's slowing his pace. As much as you like Sehun, you actually find yourself wishing for Kai to hurry up. It isn't that you don't want to be with Sehun. It is just that, if you had a choice between being with Sehun or Kai, you'd pick Kai any day. You want to be with Kai; your heart says so, your mind says so.

"Do you wanna—"

You look at Sehun and give him an apologetic smile, "Sehun, I'm so sorry but I have a date." You squeeze his arm and walk past him, "I'll definitely see you around though!"

You start jogging towards Kai and you don't care if Sehun is watching this. Kai seems shocked when you tackle him into a hug, but he isn't complaining. Instead, he wraps his strong arms around you. He buries his face into the crook of your neck and takes in a deep breath of your scent. It tickles you but you're not too concerned over it at the moment. Being in Kai's arms is more than anything you can hope for.

"I missed you very, very, very much," Kai whispers breathily. You almost want to cry.

"Where have you been then, huh?!" You berate him as you push him away. But Kai is too strong. He hardly even budged, so you end up hugging him again.

"What did Sehun want?"

"Who cares," you mumble into Kai's shoulder. "I told him I had a date."

"Damn right, it is, sweetheart," Kai chuckles. He finally pulls away. "You're mine today." You flush red on cue and he laughs, smoothing the back of your cheek with his hand. "Let's go," he runs his hand down your arm and intertwines your fingers with his.

You jerk your hand back slightly and Kai looks at you, almost hurt. You mumble, "You don't like skinship in public."

The boy shoots back, "Do you like skinship?"

You reply quietly, almost a whisper, "Depends on who it is with."

Kai chuckles, squeezing your hand. "With me. Do you like skinship with me?" You nod timidly and he pulls you even closer to him, "Then I like skinship in public. With you."

Your heart in hammering in your chest and Kai is so close, too close. You also want to faint. That's just what Kai does to people. He makes people want to cry and then faint. You admire his side profile as he brings you to his car. He smiles to nothing in particular and you know that you're caught. But it's too obvious anyway since you're openly staring at him.

Kai lets go of your hand when you're in front of his car. The both of you get in and Kai turns on the engine. You don't even watch where you're going because the image of Kai driving is so alluring (and hot) that you can't keep your eyes away. He reaches his arm to your face and smooths the pad of his thumb over your skin as he cups your face. Glancing at you, he gives you a warm smile.

"What's up, sweetheart? How've you been?"

You shrug, looking into the road for the first time since the vehicle started moving. "I'm okay. How have you been? I don't see you anymore."

"I've been busy," was his short reply. "Besides," he continued. "You're getting closer to Sehun, aren't you? It's good."

It doesn't sound good. Kai doesn't even sound like he is convinced, himself. You nod your head anyway. "Yeah, he's been hanging out with us a lot. But I miss you, Kai. I'd rather see your face than his." Kai gives you an amused glance and you quickly add, "Not that I don't like his face. Don't tell him I said that, please!"

Kai laughs as the car slows to a stop at a red light. He turns to you, "I don't know... I might not tell him anything. Provided you give me a kiss."

"What?"

"I want a kiss," he cheekily retorts, tapping his cheek.

"Wha— Why would you—" You stop because Kai gives you a stern gaze that says that he would tell on you. "I... You..."

"I'm waiting~" Kai sings as he starts driving again.

You want to kiss him, you really do. But you're too shy to do so. You fidget in your seat, your heart pounding hard and fast in your ribcage. Kai keeps glancing at you. Seeing your discomfort, he relents.

"It's o—" Kai doesn't get to finish his sentence because you quickly lean forward and peck him on the cheek. Then you proceed to flush as red as a tomato. Kai is stunned for a moment before stuttering, "Wow. You just kissed me because of Sehun."

"It's not true," you shake your head. You glance at Kai and see that he is staring at you. You tell him when you look away, "Well, it is partly true. But I also, uh... Kinda... Uh... Wanted to do it."

The car isn't moving anymore and you realise that you've probably reached your destination. You look back at Kai. You aren't a given enough time when he leans in and captures your lips with his. It's the second time he is kissing you on the lips. Your stomach is churning and you feel like your heart is in your throat. You feel how soft his lips are against yours. You're surprised you're not melting yet.

Kai pulls away and shoots you a blinding smile, "You're so cute that I wanna kiss you again." So he pecks your lips again.

"Kai," you are blushing a bright shade of plum and it makes Kai chuckle.

"Come on, let's go."

You leave the car when he does. Kai grabs your hand when he walks round the car. You walk into the ice cream parlour and Kai buys a tub instead of cones. You thought you were going to eat there, though. Seeing your confused face, Kai laughs.

"We'll eat at home. I'm going to cook dinner and I wanna cook for you," he explains.

Once Kai pays for the ice cream he holds your hand and goes to the closest supermarket. You chastise him for getting ice cream before buying the ingredients for dinner. He doesn't say anything but he doesn't seem annoyed. In fact, he has a small smile on his face like he is enjoying the scolding session.

Kai never takes his hand off yours as he goes grocery shopping. He is carrying the basket and the ice cream is in it. As he reaches for ingredients, your hand reaches for chocolates. You throw it into the basket and when Kai looks at you, you give him an abashed smile. He shakes his head affectionately, letting this one slide.

"The ice cream's melting, Kai!" You urge, tugging on his hand. "Quick!"

"All in good time, Princess," the boy teases, strolling leisurely to the cashier. He places the basket on the belt and the cashier rings up the items. In the mean time, Kai glances down at you. "Wanna stay over?"

"It's a school night, Kai..."

"I'll give you a ride to school tomorrow? And it also starts late, doesn't it?" Kai is tempting you and you both know it's working. He grins, seeing how you're not saying anything. As he hands his card to the cashier, he adds, "You have clothes over at my place, anyway."

 

 

You are playing with Kai's dogs as the owner prepares dinner. You still find it cute and bemusing that someone as cool as Kai would have 2 dogs. Poodles at that, too. You'd have thought he would own a bulldog or maybe even a Great Dane. Because poodles?

You're not complaining though, because you absolutely adore his pets. Personally, you think poodles are slightly annoying but the characters of these two make them exceptions. Every time you come over, they would pounce on you and you would gladly spend time with them.

"You're supposed to be helping me out, you know," Kai sniggers, eyeing you with affection as you play with his pups.

You blow a raspberry, "You said it yourself that you want to make dinner for me, Kim Jongin."

He sighs regretfully and you chuckle. You stop playing with the dogs and walk into the kitchen, the two poodles prancing in your wake. You stand behind Kai and peer down at the prawns he is peeling. He glances at you. You jump when you feel Kai's soft lips on your temple. He smirks naughtily at you.

"You need to stop that," you mumble, knowing that he can hear you.

"Stop what? Kissing you?" Kai questions straightforwardly. You freeze but Kai doesn't notice it since you are behind him. He shakes his head, "I don't think I can. You're too addictive."

"Your father," you mumble at the dogs behind you, showing a gagging face at them even though your cheeks are pink.

Kai laughs at that comment. The two of you banter as you keep him accompany as he cooks. You carry Jonggu up to his face and the poodle its owner in the nose. Kai crinkles his nose and you giggle. He looks like a puppy trying to clean something of his nose without the use of his dirty hands. You end up pulling Kai's shirt up by the collar, cleaning the slobber with the fabric.

"There's something called tissue, smarty."

"It's your dog," you counter, nudging him.

You entertain the dogs, leaving Kai to work on his own. You shower in the mean time, changing out into comfort clothes that you had left here. As he lets his food cook, Kai goes to take a shower too. You peek at what he is cooking and you realise that he's making carbonara pasta. You smile to yourself. Leave it to Kai to make a simple dinner. But aside from that, you're flattered by the thought of Kai remembering how you don't like bolognese pasta.

Kai may seem like a frivolous playboy on the outside but you know how he is inside that exterior. Girls who don't know him would want to get close to him, wanting to score the hottie, Kim Jongin, on their To Do List. But they probably would never have guessed that Kai is a softie. Actually, it might be of no surprise if Kai admits that he's a . He's too gentle to deflower a girl, really. But no one really knows that except you and Chanyeol.

Kai leaves the bathroom with a towel around his neck just like you. You are mixing the pasta sauce when you feel someone drying your hair with your towel. You don't even need to turn back. Kai is ever gentle as he massages your scalp. He presses your wet hair between the towel. It goes on for a while so you turn your head and you see Kai looking serious.

He glances at you and smiles softly, "I don't want you catching another cold."

"You should dry your own hair too," you murmur. Slapping his hands away from you, you reach for the towel around his neck.

However, you're not as gentle as him as you rub the towel against his hair. He yelps and you laugh, relenting as your actions ease into a comforting ruffle. Kai glares at you and you grin back. His eyes move to the stove behind you. The boy leans dangerously close. So close that you can smell the minty shampoo he uses and his natural smell that makes you feel safe and fuzzy on the inside.

He turns off the fire and returns to his original position. He asks, "Ready to eat?" You nod and take the towel away from him.

As you go to hang his and your towel in the bathroom, Kai prepares the dishes and the table. By the time you're out, two plates of pasta is on the table, accompanied with cutlery and glasses of water. Since you're hungry, you rush to sit. Kai chuckles at your behaviour. The both of you dig in and you notice that Kai doesn't stop talking. You frown because it's weird. Kai doesn't talk a lot. Most of the time, it's you talking and him listening.

Additionally, he's talking about the most random topics. You cringe inwardly at how hard he's trying to not seem nervous. There is only one reason if Kai is talkative and that is when he is anxious or nervous about something. On the other hand, Kai's cooking is pretty good. When the both of you are done, you wash the dishes. Kai keeps running his hand through his hair. He once again looks like someone going to confess to their crush but you immediately stamped that idea to ground. No way is Kai going to confess to you about anything.

You give up at his frustration, closing the tap and eyeing the poor boy. "Kai, what's going on with you?"

He stops his movements and looks at you, his eyes frenzied-looking. He shrugs but you glare pointedly at him. He deflates. Going closer to you, he swallows nervously. He is even trying to steady his breathing through his open mouth. You dry your hands, turning to face Kai. He is looking at everywhere but you.

You reach your hand out to touch him but he grabs onto your wrist in a split second. It happened so fast that you didn't even get to blink.

He tugs you towards his body and you stumble towards him. Kai gazes down on you, his breath hitting your cheek. "I..." You watch his Adam's Apple bob as he swallows. "I wanna— I was thinking— Ah... How do I..."

"Kai..." You drag out in a soothing voice. After a beat, the boy looks at you with a trembling gaze. You're slightly frightened to see such an insecure boy in front of you when he had always been a confident male. "What's wrong, hmm? Are you okay? Do you—"

Kai shakes his head vehemently, "No!" You are taken aback and he knows it. "I-I'm sorry. But I just wanna say— ask you something."

"Go on then," you chuckle, trying to ease his nervousness. It does little to help.

"I— Will you—" He stops and take a deep breath. You anticipate what he will say as he opens his eyes again, with renewed confidence.

"Do you wanna have a movie marathon while we binge on ice cream?"

What?