01

The Little Bumblebee

The First Time


You watch Kai talk to a girl. His posture is relaxed as he leans on the wall next to her. His eyes look half-closed as always. He has his hands in his pocket, having nowhere else to leave it. The girl is blushing while talking with big movements of her hands. And Kai just looks bored but he is listening for the sake of listening.

To be truthful, girls like guys like him. That cold attitude, that sporty, mysterious vibe he gives out. He's tall and he's always smiling―if you count smirking as smiling, that is. He's athletic and he has the body of only Greek gods can create. The way he mumbles and drawls when he speaks, the way he flirts without knowing it, Kai is undeniably, perfectly, painfully beautiful. He is an artwork, a masterpiece.

People take him as a guy who plays girls. You know, attracting them, getting a taste of them and then throwing them away. And you admit that you thought he was like that too, once. Because come on, those looks and the way he flirts? It's so professional. Too professional that it wouldn't be a surprise if you see him banging a girl in broad daylight under a tree.

You feel a slap to the back and you turn immediately, staring wide-eyed at Chanyeol. He is beaming at you and you narrow your eyes at him before tipping toes and whacking him on the back of his head. 

"Glad to know you miss me too," the giant grins. You roll your eyes, trotting off to your next class. Chanyeol and you take the same subject, so he is walking with you to your lecture. "Why were you staring at Kai?"

You glance at him and see that he has an enquiring look on his face but a naughty glint in his eyes. You answer, your head tilted upwards slightly, "There was something on his shirt." 

"Really?" He sounds so amused that you nudge him painfully in the ribs. 

You guys get to the lecture theatre early, bickering like always. The moment you sit, Chanyeol goes into a proposal of skipping a few classes and going for a picnic. The weather is nice these few days and you are itching to get out, under the sun. But you look at him incredulously and he looks at you, waiting for an explanation for why you look like he just told the entire world about that secret about you eating a small block of butter once. (It was a dare!) 

"When did you become so girly? I mean, picnics? Come on, Yeol. You need a guy friend. Stop hanging out with me," you shake your head, sighing in a joking manner. 

Just in time, someone plops on the seat next to you. You don't even have to look at him to know who it is. 

And also because Chanyeol is already pointing at him, going, "There! My guy friend." He pokes you in the stomach and tells you seriously, "Besides, I've never treated you like a girl."

The guy next to you blows a long whistle and you turn to glare at him. He gives Chanyeol an approving frown, slightly teasing, "You've just said what's on my mind." 

You smack the both of them with your two hands and they cackle. Ugh, imbeciles. You start ignoring them and you see Chanyeol leaning forward in his seat from the side of your eye. 

"Yah, Kai," he flaps a hand in front of the boy next to you until he acknowledges that Chanyeol is talking to him. "Let's go on a picnic tomorrow. Skip classes and enjoy the weather." 

Kai is quiet and you turn to look at him. He is staring at you and you feel your body heating up and your heart thumping wildly. Kai tilts his head at you, "Are you going?" 

You pull on an unaffected exterior, shrugging, "I guess. I wanna enjoy the sun."

"So you're going to make the sandwiches, right?" 

You huff indignantly, "Am I your maid?!"

Kai glances at Chanyeol and you look at them back and forth. They both nod. You pinch them but they are chuckling.

 

 

"This is the best decision I've ever made in my life," Chanyeol sighs out blissfully, laying flat on the mat. His limbs are wide open, making him look like a starfish from the top. 

You guys are at the beach, knowing that a lot of people would be at the park. But it is no different since the beach is equally crowded despite it being the middle of a weekday. Now you feel slightly better about playing truant. 

A mat is spread out under the three of you. And even though it is big enough for more than five people to fit in, with Chanyeol's long limbs, there is hardly any space for anyone else. Kai is sitting close to you, squeezing to get on the mat instead of the sand. You feel your arm tingling, from where Kai's arm is pressed against you.

"Yah, at least give us some space!" Kai leans towards Chanyeol, his chest in full contact with your thigh. He stretches his arm and hits Chanyeol in the stomach. You try to calm your racing heart when he pulls back. Poor Chanyeol sits up immediately, clutching his abdomen in pain.

It's a beautiful day out and you suspect it might have affected Kai with its magnificence. Because he is laughing all the time, even when passers-by walk past. Kai may seem to the type to never smile but when he is with you guys, he lets everything go. Although, he never likes it when others see him smiling genuinely. Which is why he is smirking all the time. He never explained why, but you know he will tell you if he wants to.

"I'm hungry," Chanyeol announces and dives for the pasta you made. He gives a pleasured expression when he eats it, his eyes closed, "Ugh, your future husband would be the luckiest man on earth." 

You glance at Kai from the side of your eye and you see his lips quirked up in a small smile. Your heart beats crazily again, sweat starts to form at the back of your neck. The butterflies in your stomach makes a sound and you blush. You hear Kai chuckle and you blush even redder. You feel him nudge you and you cover your face. He laughs even louder and pulls your hands away. Before you can even think, a chocolate ball is pushed between your lips. You look at Kai inquisitively, chewing slowly. He isn't even looking at you anymore as he throws a chocolate ball in the air and catches it in his mouth. 

A lady walks pass and she is openly staring at Kai. You watch his lips form a smirk and then watch the reaction of the woman caused by that action. She is blushing and looking away in a flustered manner. You sigh, feeling a pang in your stomach that kills the every single butterfly. You purse your lips and look away when you hear Kai laughing softly.

"Cute," he murmurs to himself as he watches the lady's back.

 

 

Chanyeol is already dozing off, light rumbles coming from him. All of you are tired after a game of frisbee and running after each other. You're tired too. You tell yourself that you will move to lie down in 10 seconds. You're already counting at 7 when someone lays his head on your lap. 

You look down and you see Kai with his arm over his eyes, blocking out the sun. You suddenly feel conscious, your entire body tingling to his touch. His hair tickles you but you're not squirming because of that. 

It's because Kai never likes showing skinship in public. Actually, he never really likes touching anywhere. He looks uncomfortable when someone hugs him. He looks uncomfortable when someone goes all up in his personal space. He looks uncomfortable when someone kisses him on the cheek. In short, Kai just really, really doesn't like anyone touching him. And he never touches others. This is the first time he is showing so much skinship towards you in public, actually.

Feeling your gaze, he lifts his arm to his forehead and squints in the sunlight. You are gaping at him weirdly. Kai smirks, covering his eyes again. He mumbles, "Gonna blink any time now?" 

You start blinking rapidly, tears almost forming from the dryness of your eyes. Kai chuckles and then turns on his side, so that he is facing you. Your heart is making its way to your throat, or so it feels like. It's crazy how this boy could do things like these to you, without even knowing he is doing it. 

Kai takes your limp arm and you swallow as you watch him drape it over his head, to use it to block out the sunlight for him. You feel twitchy when he leaves your hand there. You feel like moving it but you don't want to. Kai looks up at you to see you as still as a rock. Thinking that it would help you relax, he places a soft hand on your thigh, next to his head. Then, he starts drawing on your skin, sometimes even writing. 

The effect on you is the opposite of what he had mean to happen. Now you're really sure that your heart is in your throat, ready to jump out any moment. Your entire body is frozen and you can only look at the boy below. He looks relaxed at always, like this is the most normal thing to do; laying his head on your lap and making patterns on your skin idly. And it does, it does look like this is his territory, like he had done this many times before.

You feel Kai tap his finger on your leg twice slowly. You focus your attention on him to see him mumbling something you don't catch before he succumbs to his unconsciousness. 

"Cute," Kai had said.