Christmas

Doppelganger
christmas
chapter 5

The streets were covered with a thick, white blanket and I buried my chin deeper into my scarf, my hands further into my huge winter jacket’s pockets. My face was almost completely hidden as well, capped from the falling snow and my dark red beanie. It was Christmas morning and like usually I was on my way to Sungah’s house, we’ve been having this ritual every year.

Whatever happens, we would always come to each other’s houses, rationally, of course, and give us gifts, spending almost the entire day together.

I heaved a great, happy sigh seeing her house coming up. I fastened my pace and ran the rest of the small path, almost falling over the big pile of cleared snow in front of their ramp.

As soon as I was close enough I rang the doorbell and clenched Sungah’s gift in between my legs to pull off my long coat like jacket. Inhaling, she already opened the door and hugged me with a scream. “Happy holidays, Hwasoo! How are you?! I haven’t seen you the entire month! Come in, come in!” she urged with a fast manner and I laughed putting off my beanie after I put her gift on the ground. “Do you want your Christmas gift broken? Be careful!”

“It can break?” Sungah stared at it and I laughed. “Actually, no. But when I had dropped it in the snow – well, that would be just unfortunate, for you.”

She inhaled and shifted from one foot to the other, rubbing her hands against each other. “I got the best thing ever for you, honey!” she claimed and I kicked off my Nikes. “You tell me.”

She nodded hastily and dragged me into the living room, letting me trip over several things placed. “Trying to kill me, girl?!” Sungah nodded and we sat down on her long couch, both cross-legged and facing each other. I held my gift her way. “Please open it first, I thought a lot what to get you this year and – I just hope you can use it well!” Sungah inhaled and stared at it shortly before opening. She carefully ripped off the gift wrap and a brown package was seen. “Hey, what is this? So much tape!”

I laughed it off and Sungah found the beginning of the tape, picking on it until she was able to just pull it off. She exhaled exhaustedly and I chuckled. “You have the best part ahead, don’t be happy just now.” She gave me the look before continuing and I cupped my own hands, biting my lips in anticipation. Finally she opened the package and I let out a brief breath. “And?”

“Are you kidding me, you punk?” Sungah glared at me furiously and I backed off a bit. “Y-you don’t like it?”

She threw a sudden tantrum. “This bag costs at least $350 – how can you ing buy this and ju-just give it to me?!” I tilted my head with a cocky smile. “But you like it.”

“Shut up, yes, I do!” Sungah fell all over me and kissed my cheek, but jumped right back. “Alright, alright.” She held up my gift, but put it behind her, “Now – no. It’s compared to yours.” I sighed in grief. “But you said it’s like, so good...” She laughed, but held up her new bag. “I said it before having this in my arms.” Hugging it tightly I just grabbed the wrapped up gift behind my best friend and happily opened it. I cupped my mouth and looked at her. “Etude House cosmetics and earrings I yearned for?! How can you afford this?!”

She shrugged sweetly. “I saved it for you.”

Both, my family and her family were having money problems and the products and jewelry spread all over the hot pink, velvet box weren’t really cheap, I knew it. I stood up and hugged her with all my heart. “It’s a lot of money, Sungah. This means so much to me.”

Sungah patted my back softly. “Nothing’s too much for my bestest friend!” I smiled brightly and looked down at her, the bag still in her lap, encircled by her arms. She also glanced at the bag before looking back at me. “What?”

“You love it. And don’t worry, I can effort it. I’m saving a lot of money because one day all of this will be over and then I want some money left over, but I needed to get you this.” I folded my hands and grinned while she just stood up as well, hugging me. “Really, thank you so much!” I hugged her right back. “No, thank you. I – “

My “Yura-phone” vibrated on the couch and I went over to it. The message read “Yura? Are you still asleep? Please get up soon! I have two gifts with me, let’s meet up at yours!”

“Oh , , , , , – “ I panicked and grabbed my bag, throwing inside the two cellphones I had put out before. Sungah panicked along. “Wh-what is your problem?! What happened?! Is it something bad?!”

“I still have to put on my usual make-up, I need to find the keys, too, and I need to – “ I clutched onto my head when Sungah grabbed my shoulders. “What – is – going – on?”

I stared at her emotionlessly. “I forgot it completely – I wanted to meet up with Mark, he just texted me.” Her jaw dropped at once and she stuttered, letting go of me. “Mark? Mark Tuan? GOT7’s oldest yet baby faced rapper? – “

“Yes!” I screamed and hugged her a last time. “Girl, I know we always spend this day together, but I really can’t stay here any longer, I still have to take a cab and get there!”

She sighed with a warm smile. “The bag can make it up again.” Sungah winked and I winked back, but I screamed a last time while opening the door. “Merry Christmas, family Park!”

A single wave and I closed the door, dashing down the icy street to my house.

□ □ ■ □ □

The bun in my hair loosened as I ran faster and faster through the apartment, in the need of a charger cable as I had left mine at home.

“No, for real, you are a loved and incredibly famous idol, Joo Yura! But even I have at least three charger cables at home!” my feet took me to the small kitchen when the doorbell suddenly rang.

My head spun its way and I gulped loudly. “Way to go.” I straightened up and walked toward the door, holding my bun and trying my best not to lose it.

I opened the door and there stood a boy with a beanie on, a small smile resting on his lips and two gifts piled in his arms. I smiled back and led him inside. “How’s the day going?”

“It’s so good! I will meet up with my parents later on, just like the other members. So, I can only stay for one or two hours and – where are my manners? How is the lady doing?”

Chuckling I closed the door, following him into my small living room. “I’m all good, I’m free and have nothing to do – “ Mark just stared at me and I cleared my throat awkwardly. “Do you want to drink something? Tea, water, coke, hot cocoa?”

“Hot chocolate!” he screeched in English and stared at me with wide eyes before looking at my TV. “Just, uhm, don’t – I mean, no. You don’t have to.” As he cupped his face I noticed him still whispering, “I’m so embarrassing.”

“I heard that!” I chirped happily, laughing, and walked into my kitchen. Still giggling my grin suddenly faded as I remembered another fact: I didn’t know where the just one thing was placed. I exhaled deeply and laid my hand down on my forehead. Just. Search.

In the corner of my eye I saw the fridge and jumped over to it, opening it and putting out milk. “Alright. Improvisation.” I muttered, Mark seeming to notice my quiet absence. “Are you okay?”

I gritted my teeth, my eyes closing. “Yes, yes, I don’t know if I bought Nutella or not, I need to – “

“Nutella?” Mark turned around, looking behind the counter. I raised my pointer finger. “I will make you the best hot chocolate ever, that’s why...Nutella.” I nervously laughed and spun on my heels, looking into two cupboards, closing it. Damn it!

I folded my hands and inhaled heavily, praying, as my eyes were pinned to a small cupboard above the microwave. I opened it carefully and there it was, a small pot of Nutella and I yelped minimally.

“Yura?” Mark stood up and walked up the two steps, joining me in the adorable kitchen. “Mark, uh, here, hold this.” I pushed the Nutella glass into his hands and grabbed a big cup, filling it with milk.

I need a spoon! I panicked, but calmly put the cup with milk into the microwave. “Oh, hey, could you get a spoon, it’s somewhere...” I trailed off and hit the buttons until two minutes appeared on the small screen.

“Got one!” he paused when I pointed at him. “Now we still need six.”

Both of us kept silence until we broke into loud laughter. Soon after that the microwave gave out three quick bells and I turned around, but Mark went to get it before I could even reach the appliance. “The milk must be hot!”

I smiled at his kindness while taking a big spoon from the Nutella pot. Mark had placed the milk in front of me and I told him to stir it while I would go, fetching the notes I had prepared.

He sat on my couch when I came back but stood up again. “Should I have stayed in the kitchen? I didn’t know!” he mumbled the last part in English and I waved my wrist after him. “No, it’s totally alright! Why did you bring two gifts by the way? Wait, you – “

“Yes, one is from Jaebum, and one is from me!” Mark literally beamed and held one gift my way. “Please open mine first, you’ll have the better one for the end then!”

I laid my pointer finger down on my cheek, my middle finger on my lips. “Mark, seriously, I haven’t bought anything for you. I will do! Tomorrow! Early in the morning!” before I could make more promises he shook it off. “It’s alright, it’s alright, let me explain! Sit down and open it!”

I did so and took the hard, medium heavy gift into my hands, slowly ripping off the Christmas-designed paper. He smiled, continuing. “So, this is something you always wanted, and since we are going to be partners in For Goods I just wanted to deepen our friendship with this! I guess Jaebum would have bought it for you anyway! I think, I just joined him, so I seem nicer.”

“Wow,” I faked enthusiastically and grinned, “Much thank you, Yi En.” I was finally able to open the box and smiled upon seeing an old 1920’s candlestick phone. “It’s so beautiful!” His smile got even wider seeing me jumping on the couch. “It’s so freaking great! Thank you! I’ll make sure to get you something!”

Mark became quieter. “No, I – Jaebum told me that you phone a lot and you love to do it, but since your telephone broke down after some time...ta-dah!” he pointed with both hands at it and I hugged it. “Really, thank you, Mark!” the boy got even more silent and quickly Mark gave me the other one. “This one may be small, but it’s really beautiful. It fits you.”

He stared at me with a lovable smirk and I bit my lips, opening it. Jaebum seemed to no have bought it in one piece, the turquoise, gold rimmed birds bracelet and gold twin birds necklace might seem identical, but looking at it closer they weren’t that familiar. Nevertheless, I wore a lot of gold and those jewels were just breathtakingly beautiful.

“Oh, damn, boy.” I held up the bracelet only, “Can this man get any more amazing?!” Mark just shrugged. “We both sat in front of the computer to order it, so we pretty much found it together, just like the old telephone.”

I stamped my feet on the ground softly and squeaked happily. “Please, please say thank you if you reach him before I do! And give him a kiss from me!”

Mark gave me an unsure glance. “I can do the ‘thank you’ part only, I’m sorry.”

I still smiled from ear to ear and heaved a grateful sigh. “I have planned something for Jaebum already but I, uhm, I think I will give him his present on his birthday.”

“Just like last year!” Mark laughed and I laughed along in an exorbitant manner. So – ing – close. “Alright, so, how is the hot chocolate?” Right then he took two big gulps, placing the cup back on the table. “I haven’t heard of that and most of all, I didn’t know it would taste so good. Where did you get the idea from?”

I pointed at myself. “Oh, from my par – internet.” I quickly and casually corrected myself, he just nodded and took another sip. “Delicious!”

And so we spent the rest of the time talking about the show and some counterproductive things.

□ □ ■ □ □

My night lamp’s light burned in my eyes and I scowled myself looking into it. Sadly I provoked this incident; I was still staring at the necklace and bracelet. I loved birds, I found them cute and majestic at the same time, flying and singing all around the globe.

Just then, the Yura-phone flashed up and I gave it a quick look from the side. The caller ID read “Jaebongieee!♥“ and I breathed in loudly, picking up when I was ready to face my boyfriend. I had indeed texted him before, but excuse me –

Texting is different from talking.

“Jaebum ah?” I asked quietly and a welcoming, warm voice was replying. “Hey, baby! How are you doing?! I want to see you right now!”

I smiled with teeth and sad down on my bed, looking at the pin board in front of me, messy, small notes all over it. “Mark was over and brought me the gift you gave me, oh, and I miss you even more!”

He laughed sweetly and cleared his throat. “So, did you like it?” I nodded for my own, lifting it up again to take another look at the jewelry. “Yes, I love it, it’s so stunning and perfect – I just love it!” Jaebum sounded like he dropped onto something, maybe his bed. “I’m so glad; Mark and I roamed on millions of site! Okay, maybe not millions, but at least four!” I chuckled and stood up from my bed’s edge, hanging both of the gifts onto a marble hand I had bought to hold all my jewelry. “Still, it makes my heart jump when I see you put so much effort into something small, just for me.”

“Hey, why the word ‘just’?! Joo Yura, always the most modest angel in this world.” He whispered into the phone and I felt blush creeping up my neck. “You make me flush, Im Jaebum.” I emphasized his name like he did with mine and I heard him giggling. “I wish I could see your face right now, I wasn’t even able to visit you at the hospital and we have only seen each other a week before your accident. Any idea when we could meet up again?”

I tapped my chin to think, pushing my laptop into a more accurate line with my table. “New Year’s Eve? Your birthday? I need to give you your gift anyways!”

“Right!” he smiled into the phone, laughing, “I really can’t wait to have you in my arms.”

Both of us kept quiet until Jaebum broke it with an adorable chuckle. “I’m so love-struck! Somebody heal me!" I faked a gasp on purpose. “You want to be healed, t-to get away from me? Oh my god, I’m horrible.”

“Oh, baby! You aren’t, you know that I love you!” he laughed and I exhaled. “Have you seen my Instagram post?” Jaebum took a second to answer, but then giving out a silent “hm”. “Mark has showed me, Bambam and Jackson as well. Your text was absolutely adorable!”

I nodded again. “I haven’t checked it yet again, but I had to mute my phone.”

“Why was it loud anyway? Actually it’s always on mute with you!” he laughed and I picked my lips. “Well, I was about to receive an important call, and I just didn’t want to overlook it!”

“Clever girl.” He giggled adorably and I sighed loudly. “So, what are you doing right now?”

He made a meek and quiet attempt of sounding seductive. “Making sure I’m alone to – “

“Im Jaebum! What?!” I shrieked, but the latter just cracked up. “I’m just kidding. Well, I’m with my family, like the others, except for Jinyoung and Mark they are back in the dorm again by now. What is my angel doing?”

I lied down on my bed flatly, limbs stretched out to all sites possible. “Just chilling at my apartment, looking at cars passing. There’s only sh – not good series on TV.”

Jaebum suddenly sighed slowly. “You mom didn’t join you or called you again, right?”

That sentence pierced my heart, her mom doesn’t even wish her happy holidays or come up with something. I coughed a bit, scratching my temple lightly. “Y-yeah, she didn’t even make an attempt.”

“How can someone be so cruel to his own child? Whatever, I wanted brighten up your mood, not darken it even more. I’ll try to call you tomorrow or the end of this week. Maybe I’m even free, doesn’t that sound fantastic?!” Jaebum asked enthusiastically and I chuckled giddily. “Can’t wait to see you...”

“Oh, hold up.” He said before his voice went louder, but duller. “Yes, mom, I’ll head downstairs in a moment, I’m talking to Yura!”

His mother screamed even louder and I flinched a bit at the sound. “Happy holidays, love, don’t care about your mother, she’s an old moth! You know I’m your real m – “

“Mother, enough, please!” Jaebum screamed back and exhaled a longsome sigh. “Okay, baby, got to go now. My parents prepared some dessert they found on the internet and I, supposedly, have to test it. Wish me luck!”

I laughed and stood up. “Okay, good, good luck!” I cheered and he cleared his throat one more time. “I’ll see you some time...I love you.”

I took a long pause to answer. “Alright, I love you, too.”

The silence took over and Jaebum cut the line first before I pressed the red button. Staring at the phone I looked out to the passing cars and my turned off TV yet shook my head, opening my bed room’s door. “I really can’t do this love thing any longer.”

Author's
NOTE
a little secret for you guys: I always do my hot chocolate like this >:D
and: some cute vibe from the "couple", hope it's all fine!
AND: sorry for this being a bit shorter, I was so done with this chapter and desperate and all D:
enjoy & subscribe! ♥
xoxo,
the cucumber °3°)~