4

Misfit In The Asylum

Hyunyoung woke up the next morning in her bed. She sat up, looking around for Jaekyung, but the older girl was nowhere to be seen.

"Jaekyung.." Hyunyoung whined.

She got out of bed and went downstairs. Only Woori was there.

"We need to talk." Said Woori. "Last night was completely unacceptable."

"Huh? What do you mean?" Hyunyoung asked.

"You and that woman." Woori said with a stern expression.

"Jaekyung is my friend. I'm going to spend time with her, as well as you and the others." Said Hyunyoung. "I don't see why you can't accept that I have other friends."

"You don't understand, you barely even know her." Said Woori. "What if she's a murderer? You found her in that asylum didn't you? For all we know, she could be a lunatic!" Woori yelled.

"JAEKYUNG IS NOT A MURDERER OR A LUNATIC, YOU INCONSIDERATE FOOL!" Hyunyoung screamed.

There was a silence, then Woori walked off, mumbling.

"Right.. Thanks.. you too.." She said as she left the house.

Hyunyoung started to cry, she collapsed onto the couch and sobbed. She had just lost her best friend.

 

A few hours later, there was a knock at the door. Hyunyoung hadn't moved at all from the couch. She got up slowly and answered the door. It was Jaekyung.

"Hey- ..Are you okay?" Jaekyung asked worriedly.

Hyunyoung shook her head. "Not really.."

"Do you want to talk about it?" Jaekyung asked.

"I.. I don't know.. I just need a hug.." Hyunyoung sighed.

Jaekyung entered the house and they sat on the couch together. Hyunyoung shuffled closer and hugged the older girl, crying on her shoulder whilst Jaekyung held her tightly and comforted her.

"It'll be okay.." Jaekyung said.

"She hates me.. I bet they all do.." Hyunyoung sniffled.

"Who?" Jaekyung asked.

"Woori.. And the others.." Hyunyoung said. "I had an argument with Woori.. And she left.."

"What did you argue about?" Jaekyung asked.

"She said that.. I was unacceptable last night with you.. And she said you might be a murderer.. Or a lunatic.. And I yelled at her.. And she left.." Hyunyoung sobbed loudly into Jaekyung's chest.

"You don't need them anymore, Hyunyoung. I'll keep you safe. You only need me." Said Jaekyung quietly, Hyunyoung's hair. "I'm not a murderer or a lunatic.."

"Please don't leave me.." Hyunyoung whispered, clinging to Jaekyung.

"I won't.. You don't have to worry.." Jaekyung said.

They spent the entire day on the couch, until the doorbell rang again.

"Should I..?" Hyunyoung looked up.

"I'll get it." Said Jaekyung, getting up.

It was Jisook at the door.

"I need to talk to Hyunyoung. It's serious." She said.

"Ji.. Jisook.." Hyunyoung mumbled, looking up at her from the couch.

Jaekyung let Jisook in and went into the kitchen to give them privacy.

"Youngie.. We can't find Woori anywhere." Said Jisook, sitting next to Hyunyoung.

"It's all my fault.." Hyunyoung sighed.

"She won't talk to any of us, she isn't answering her phone and she isn't at her house either." Said Jisook. "We've been trying to get in contact with her parents, but they won't answer their house phone."

"Oh.. I.. I wish I knew what to do.. But she hates me.." Hyunyoung mumbled. "And... She hurt my feelings.."

"What happened?" Jisook asked.

"We just had an argument, and I yelled at her and she left.." Hyunyoung said. "She said mean things about Jaekyung.."

Jisook sighed. "Hyunyoung, you barely know that woman."

"If you're going to say mean things about her, then you can leave too!" Hyunyoung hissed, glaring at Jisook.

"Alright.. Well..." Jisook got up slowly. "I just wanted to know what happened, but if you're going to get all shouty then--"

"Just go!" Hyunyoung yelled, watching as Jisook left the house and slammed the door behind her.

Jaekyung came back into the living room just in time to run to the couch and catch Hyunyoung before she slid off onto the floor.

"It'll be okay.." Jaekyung whispered as she carried Hyunyoung to her room.

"Jaekyung.. Why does everyone hate me?" Hyunyoung asked as Jaekyung placed her carefully on the bed.

"I don't hate you." Said Jaekyung, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Some people don't understand you, that's all."

"It's unfair.." Hyunyoung sighed.

"I know it is, but you'll have to deal with it.." Jaekyung mumbled.

Suddenly, Hyunyoung sat up and hugged Jaekyung tightly.

"I'm glad I have you unnie. You're the only one who understands me." Hyunyoung said, burying her head against Jaekyung's chest.

"I know. I'm glad I have you too, Hyunyoung." Jaekyung said quietly, hugging Hyunyoung back just as tight.