Confession

Happiness

"I..." Wendy hesitated. "Joohyun. I'm sorry Seul i---"

 
Seulgi swallowed the lump in , blinked back the tears in her eyes, took her bag and left Wendy's house. She bumped into Joy on the way, and considering the fact that she heard Joy dropped all the CDs she was holding, she probably knocked onto her really hard. But Seulgi didn't turn around to help her as much as she would like to. Instead, she made her way to a nearby park, found herself a bench, and allowed herself to cry her heart out.
 
Confused, Joy picked up the CDs on the floor, and headed to Wendy's house. 
 
"I'm sorry Joy, but could you go after Seulgi?" Wendy pleaded. "I'm afraid she's going to do something crazy." 
 
This only made Joy even more confused. Still, she did what she was told to do. After 10 minutes of searching, Joy finally found Seulgi at the nearby park, alone.
 
Seulgi sat there quiet, her arms wrapped tightly around herself in a hug, hoping to comfort herself. Her body gently rocked back and forth, her cheeks stained with the endless stream of tears from her glossy eyes, enduring the emotional pain that continued to engulf her.
 
Not only was she indirectly rejected by Wendy, her friendship with Irene would probably not be the same anymore. Seulgi softly cursed at herself for shouting at Irene. Suddenly, she felt someone beside her, and turned around to face Joy.
 
"The look on your face tells me you just got rejected," Joy pointed out.
 
"I did not get rejected." Seulgi retorted.
 
"It's alright, that's what i told myself too when i got rejected, but Wendy was there to console me. Oh! Maybe i should call Wendy over to console you?"
 
There was no reply from Seulgi.
 
"Wait, who rejected you?"
 
"Wendy."
 
"Oh. Oh i'm so sorry." Joy scratched her head and smiled sheepishly. "I guess i have to be the one to console you then. Hmm... Say, let's go get some ice cream? I'll treat!"
 
Again, there was no reply from Seulgi. 
 
"Whatever, let's just go." Joy stood up and took Seulgi's hand, dragging her along.
---
 
"Oh my god Wendy. What should i do?" Irene buried her face into her hands. "I shouted at Seul."
 
Wendy remained silent. It all happened too sudden, and none of them could actually process what had actually happened.
 
"Try sending her a text," Wendy suggested, and Irene obeyed.
 
Seul... Are you alright?
 
Seul... I'm really sorry for shouting at you. I really don't mean it.
 
Seul...? Where are you now?
 
Seulgi. Reply me. Please.
 
Hey Seulgi. Kang Seulgi.
 
"She's not replying me." Irene exclaimed hopelessly.
 
"She'll be alright. Joy will comfort her, don't worry."
 
It was then Irene realised, that Wendy had chosen her over Seulgi.
 
"Wendy... Why did you choose me earlier on?"
 
"Because i like you."
---
 
"Hey. Hey! Your ice cream's melting!" Joy exclaimed before grabbing a tissue and wiping the melted ice cream from Seulgi's hand.
 
"I think... I think i don't deserve Wendy after all." Seulgi said.
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"I mean, Irene knew Wendy first, and it was her who wanted to find Wendy. Wendy chose Irene over me too. I was never in the position to proclaim that i like Wendy. I was just selfish. Wendy should be Irene's." Seulgi explained.
 
"So... You're giving in?"
 
"Yeah, i'm giving in."
---
 
By the time Seulgi got back to the hotel, it was already 11PM. But to her shock and surprise, Irene was still awake. Well, not actually awake, but dozing off on the armchair to be more exact. When she heard the sound of the opening door, she immediately stood up.
 
"Seul..."
 
"I'm fine."
 
"Why didn't you reply my texts then?"
 
"I didn't know what to reply."
 
"Are you... Still angry? That i like Wendy too?"
 
"It's not that. I figured out that i don't deserve to like Wendy after all. You should be the one liking her, not me."
 
"Then... Is it because i shouted at you?"
 
Seulgi's eyes started to glisten with tears, and Irene knew, it was the fact that she actually shouted at Seulgi that upsetted her the most, not the fact that they both like Wendy. After all, Seulgi and Irene were bestfriends for years.
 
Irene walked up to Seulgi and slowly pulled her closer to herself, wrapping her arms around the taller. As much as she likes Wendy, Seulgi is equally important to her, and hurting Seulgi was the last thing Irene would ever want to do.
 
Despite Irene's petite and small figure, Seulgi could feel the warmth in the hug, which somehow comforted her, and all the worries which troubled her seem to have been washed away.
 
Irene softly pat Seulgi to sleep, keeping her eyes on her. Seulgi could be so fearless and brave at times, but there are also times like this when she's actually a little girl, a girl who needs to be protected. As much as Irene would like to do that, she knew she couldn't. She can only hope that one day, Seulgi would be able to find someone she deserves, someone who is capable of protecting her well. Just as Irene was about to fall asleep, a text message lighted up on her phone.
 
Hi Bae.
 
It was Wendy. Irene immediately smiled and typed a reply.
 
Who gave you the permission to call me by my surname?
 
It's not just a surname.
 
I don't know what you're talking about.
 
And you didn't reply me just now, after i said i like you.
 
Irene blushed so heart, her heart was beating so fast it was hard for her to even move her fingers to reply.
 
Do you remember 5 years ago when i first met you when you were selling sweet potatoes?
 
Of course! You were one of the only few customers i had.
 
Do you know why i kept buying from you?
 
Because you wanted to help me? Because you like sweet potatoes?
 
No. Because it was love at first sight. Because i liked you since then.