Contentment

Happiness

"I think i might have fallen in love with you."

 
Seulgi wasn't sure if she heard that correctly. Was it just a dream or did Joy really say that? With that thought still bothering her, Seulgi got up from the bed and went to wash up.
---
 
Time really flies. Seulgi and Irene had already spent months in Canada. It's time for them to return to Korea. It's time for them to leave Joy and Wendy. Well, not exactly, because none of then would actually agree to that.
 
"I'm migrating to Korea. Give me a few days, and i promise i'll return to your side in no time at all." Wendy had swore to Irene, and Joy decided to move back to Korea too, partly because of the fact that she didn't want to be living alone in Canada, and also partly because of a special someone, her 'cute little bear', to be more exact.
 
They bid their goodbyes at the airport. It was simple and brief, since it wasn't exactly a farewell or a goodbye, but somehow, Seulgi felt as if all the happiness in her had been temporarily washed away, although she didn't know why.
---
 
It has been a week ever since Seulgi and Irene had moved back to Korea. Just like 5 years ago, both of them are still sharing the same house. It was around 5AM in the morning, on a cool and breezy winter morning, when Irene decided to wake the sleeping Seulgi with some shoving and screaming.
 
"KANGSEUL!!! WAKE UP! Wake up RIGHT NOW! I said get up you sleepyhead!"
 
Seulgi reluctantly got up, glared at Irene and said, "You better give me a good reason for waking me up this early. If not, i'm going to crack your head at the frozen lake nearby. You heard me."
 
"Wendy and Joy have arrived! Wendy is going to meet me outside in a couple of minutes. Do you want to give a call to Joy too?"
 
This immediately made Seulgi forget her anger towards Irene, as she started to feel the excitement bubbled inside her.
 
"I'm leaving soon, i'll see you later at night, okay Seul dear?"
 
Irene lightly pat Seulgi on the head, grabbed her handbag and winter coat before sprinting out of their house at the speed of light.
 
"The difference in Irene after meeting Wendy," Seulgi laughed to herself. She found her phone, and realised there were twenty unread messages, all from Joy. The last few messages were, 'Seulgi! I'm coming over now. Make sure you're awake!' and 'I'm currently in the train, and it's so boring. Talk to me, Seul-bear.'
 
Grinning, Seulgi replied: 
 
You're bored? Continue with you story then! You stopped halfway.
 
Seulgi wanted answers, confirmation. 
 
(5:32
Where did i left off the other time?
 
Hmm... I remember something about the chicken wanting to tell the bear something.
 
Seulgi waited and waited. Somehow, this reply was taking longer than expected. Will Joy really say it? Now that Seulgi's fully awake? After what it felt like eternity, Joy's reply came.
 
Ahh! That part. Well, the cute little chicken said to the cute little bear: I think i like you.
 
Seulgi couldn't stop herself from blushing. She scrolled through her contacts, found Joy's number, and dialled.
 
"Seulgi? I'm still on my way-"
 
"I think i like you too."
 
Seulgi hung up, threw her phone on her bed, and dived into it headfirst, flattening her face with her pillow.
---
 
A few minutes passed by, with Seulgi still squealing and screaming into her pillow. Just then, she heard to doorbell ring. She carefully adjusted her clothes and brushed her hair with her fingers. She opened the door anticipatingly, and there, at the doorsteps, stood a bear. No, more like someone who was holding a bear, only that the bear was so huge it was almost the size of the human.
 
"Here! I bought this for you!"
 
Joy handed Seulgi the bear. With one swift movement, Seulgi pulled Joy towards her, and lightly gave her a peck on her lips. Startled, Joy started blinking in confusion, and Seulgi said,  "Ask me. Ask me if i still like Wendy."
 
"Why-"
 
"Just ask me."
 
Joy, still confused by everything that had happened in that split moment, had no choice but to obey.
 
"Do you... Do you still like Wendy?"
 
Seulgi grinned, before embracing Joy into a hug.
 
"No, not anymore, because i like you now, today, tomorrow and forever. Will you be my girlfriend, Sooyoung-ah?"
 
Seulgi could hear Joy giggle.
 
"I've always wanted to."
 
Seulgi dragged Joy to the couch, with both of them sitting less than a centimeter apart, Seulgi rested her head on Joy's shoulder.
 
"I don't feel like going out today." Seulgi whined like a baby.
 
"Sure, i have absolutely no problem at all with staying like this the whole day."
 
After staying in that position in silence for a while, Seulgi decided to say something, something bold.
 
"Let's go to the shopping mall tomorrow, i'm getting a plush chicken for you. Then onwards, we're official."
---
 
Irene liked this feeling. It feels exactly like how it felt when she first met Wendy in the winter. 5 years ago, they met as strangers. 5 years later, they are now meeting as a couple.
 
Irene was glad that she wore a thick winter coat to protect her from the cold today. From afar, she saw Wendy, standing beside a lamppost, constantly fidgeting at her spot to stay warm.
 
"Wan-ah!" Irene called out.
 
Wendy turned and smiled. "Hyun!"
 
They didn't have to talk at all, it was comfortable for both of them just to walk in silence in the winter, enjoying each other's company. It was after a while, Irene noticed that Wendy had been rubbing and breathing out warm air onto her hands.
 
"If you're cold, just tell me."
 
Irene reached out and grabbed Wendy's hand, interlacing their fingers together.
 
"Are those sweet potatoes?" Wendy pointed at the store ahead of them, and the man standing there was indeed selling them. 
 
"No way." Irene laughed.
 
After buying some sweet potatoes, they continued to walk in the quiet and peaceful winter.
 
Snow, white and pure, float downwards from a light, cloud-filled sky, soundlessly settling on roofs, tree branches, ground and enveloping the world in a cozy comforter of bleached down. 
 
It's Irene's favourite part of winter, when time seems to hold still for the briefest of seconds, allowing all who are willing to take a moment to acknowledge the beauty.
 
As Irene and Wendy walk, hand in hand, Irene could hear the dry snow crunching beneath her feet. Irene still likes leaving footprints on the snow, which, to her, represents the memories she made during winter.
 
She felt alive, being able to be with Wendy, surrounded by quiet, pure beauty. She never felt so happy in her life, it's as if Wendy and the winter were enough to satisfy her.
 
She turned to slightly look at Wendy. Irene was thankful, thankful for the fact that she was able to meet Wendy, thankful for what they are now, and perhaps, forever. She wanted to stay like this forever, to be able to hold Wendy's hand while walking in the peaceful and quiet winter.
 
Maybe 'That Winter' wasn't her favourite after all, for this winter fulfilled all that she has ever wished for.
 
---------------------------------------
A/N: So finally, here's the end. I kind of figured out that this whole fic didn't exactly relate to my That Winter one-shot, so i decided to add a winter scene at the end, heh. I'm sorry if the plot wasn't exactly well thought of, it was pretty messy actually. I hope at least some of you enjoyed it though. AND! I'm also in the midst of writing another Red Velvet multi-chap fic (it's darker and less happy compared to this one), which i don't think i'll be posting it anytime soon (or should i post the foreword first?) I hope you guys will check that one out too when i post it, and in the mean time, if you all don't mind, do check out my other RV fics that i've written. Much thanks to those who read Happiness, (subscribers and those who commented, ily <3) and i hope you all enjoyed it! :D