Ji Sun

One Hello

"Only thirty more minutes," I grin at him, surrounded by the quiet, indistinct chatter emanating from the party guests. The celebrations of each year vary only slightly and seem to follow a routine which involves numerous hellos and goodbyes to encircle an uneventful night that depends merely on the minutes of a clock. Celebrating for the coming of a new year in its entirety had always seemed superfluous to me, with its resplendent themes and excessive noise. However this year, I have been convinced otherwise. Shinwoo posseses this facet of efficacy that, since our first meeting, has never failed to make its impact on me. He is well aware that I have a tendency to be indifferent to most matters, and that there is a restricted extent to which I divulge my emotions. As a result he endeavors in bettering me. A while back he once told me, "Apathy is unhealthy, darling." It seemed absurd to me at the time, but among his many wise remarks, this was one that truly struck me and led me into thought. In that moment the words had come out of him so easily and flawlessly; he had not even blinked. These words are what he believes to be true and, as I've realized in my time with him, are undoubtedly true. He has helped me realize the importance of the occasion, reminding me that I should be grateful for the year that has passed and wish the best for the one to come. And so for the first time, I am genuinely excited for the new year and the festivities that come along with it.

He glances at his wristwatch, presenting me with a sleepy smile, then saying, "Twenty nine now."

"Hey, stop flirting you two!" hollers Junghwan from a dozen feet away. Behind him follows my cousin, along with his best friend.

"How are you here right now? People could recognize you," Shinwoo whispers to him.

Junghwan shoots him a carefree expression in response, letting Jinyoung introduce his companion.

"Shinwoo, Sunwoo. Sunwoo, Shinwoo, her lover," he begins to banter, snickering obnoxiously.

"Goodness Young, you make us sound so soulless," I roll my eyes at him. Then to Sunwoo: "But you get it, right? He's more to me than just that," I finish off with a wink towards Shinwoo who then shares a firm hand shake with Sunwoo.

"You can call me Baro. They all do," he finally speaks, projecting his deep voice. He lets out a warm laugh, displaying his perfectly white teeth.

His laugh is interrupted by the party host's voice. "Well who do we have here? The famous Sandeul, the Jung cousins, and the hip Baro Baro Baro!" he exclaims, full of life. "And you," he focuses on Shinwoo with wide eyes. "What in the world happened to you?"

Shinwoo narrows his eyes at him. "Excuse me?"

"Come on now.." the host says, shifting his hair in a burdened manner, creating a rather disheveled look from what was originally a polished combover. He stares at Shinwoo, waiting impatiently for a response. Receiving nothing more than a blank stare back, he blurts his name out flatly. "Gongchan. Gong Chanshik."

"You guys know each other?" I ask Shinwoo.

"No, I don't think so."

"Wow, I messed my hair up for you and everything, and this is what I get?" Gongchan jokes, playfully shoving Shinwoo's shoulder. "Well that's understandable. I always kept to myself. Besides, I never really was on your level back in those days."

"Back in those days? May I ask where you know me from?"

"From the entertainment agency. You were so inspiring. Sometimes when I passed by the practice room I would hear you sing and see you dance," Gongchan pretends to have chills. "You were one of the best trainees. But you just disappeared."

"Oh, thank you," Shinwoo bows, wearing a shy smile.

Constant laughter emerges from our compact bunch, as if we have years of history behind us. In a matter of minutes we touch on countless topics that are relatable to all. Each minute quickly passes along the words shared between the six of us, inflection never uncomfortable, then suddenly, there are only seconds left before midnight. The guests simultaneuously prepare their noisemakers then chant the countdown beginning at ten. At nine Shinwoo pulls at my arm, running madly towards a destination unknown to me. At eight I clash into man and apologize. At seven he is still running, glancing at me, winking. At six my face is shining with joy, enjoying this daring side of his. At five I feel a drastic change in climate, and I look around to realize we are outside. At four he stops and looks into my eyes. He enunciates the countdown at three, taking a step forward at each second, the numbers leaving his lips, transforming into frost in the air. 

"Two."

"One."

We touch lips under the light of the moon and stars, his embrace shielding me from the cold yet again, a burst of fireworks illuminating the sky like daylight.

"Happy new year, angel. Promise me you'll spend the next one with me."

I seal the promise, interlacing my fingers with his, leaning my head against his heart.