Patience

If I lose myself

A good month passed without a single word uttered between the two seat neighbours, the frosty atmosphere in the classroom even rendering the rest of the students relatively quiet with the tension in the room so thick, one could cut it with a knife. It didn't bother Jieun. She'd sit through it, focus on class, refuse to believe it was any of her business, no matter how tense she became would their fingers or shoulder accidently touch. She was only in this class for the reputation of her father. Her mannerism had improved ever since she had been threatened to be suspended from school would she get into another fight with someone. Even her homeroom teacher had progressively tried to persuade the rest of the faculty to allow her to transfer into the A class but to no avail. Just like Yongguk, those two remained stuck between rascals and youth criminals, for their very own reasons. And that when their teacher knew just how different their goals were from the rest of the class. It was a waste to not let them graduate under the best circumstances simply because of their heritage.

 


 

Miss Kang still recalled the day she had met her new student Bang Yongguk for the first time, neat looking albeit slightly cold with a rather rash attitude that let everyone know he was tired of being misunderstood and mistreated. His mother tried to look presentable but it was clear she had been working nonstop to keep the small family over water after the tragic story evolving around the man by her side. "We'll assign him to class F." "His grades are far better than that-" "We can't risk the reputation of this school to sink. He'll be in class F." It made her sick to see how the young man grew smaller and smaller in his chair, his gaze eventually drifting out of the window in disinterest. He probably already knew he was gonna get discarded as a delinquent regardless of what he said or did. "If I may say something-" Interested eyes focused on the teacher in charge for class F, Miss Kang had no struggle to speak her mind, which was perhaps the reason she had been assigned for just that class. 

"I don't believe we should judge a person simply because of his private situation. From what I see, Bang Yongguk is a hard working and diligent student. His records don't show any negative comments aside from a fist fight that resulted out of an insult against his family. And in my opinion-" "His father is a criminal!" "That's yet to be investigated." 

Everyone was startled by the sudden voice coming from the boy in discussion, his gaze hard and tired. "He was one of the best police officers in Seoul. His reputation was fantastic, his white vest spotless." "The current evidence speaks against him. It is a nation wide topic on the news. We cannot risk the reputation of our school sinking and wait for the outcome of this investigation. As long as your father remains in the center of suspicion, I'm afraid we cannot offer you more but this, young man." 

Miss Kang watched as the mother called out for her son desperately while he simply got up and left the room, trying not to cause a scene and lose his temper. She exhaled a heavy sigh as the tired mother apologized over and over, accepting the conditions without second thought. The teacher was not happy with that outcome but she still followed his mother outside, promising her to look after her son well.

 


 

She could see it. All the pend up frustration within this young man as he tried to remain calm and mature, for the sake of his future, for the sake of his family. Miss Kang believed the boy deserved so much more from life than this and she hoped, prayed that he would reach his goal and follow into his father's footsteps, getting the chance to wash his name clear sooner or later. It also filled her with a sense of parental adoration to see her two most hard working students sitting together, their clumsy behaviour towards one another practically giving them away right from scratch. Jieun herself was probably not so very different from what Yongguk was, even though he seemed to be thinking otherwise. She however, had goals that differed far away from stepping into her father's footsteps.

 


 

"I'm expecting for you to give the best to my daughter. You will see, I cannot accept her to be assigned to the class of the lowest stand in this schooling establishment." "Mister Song, with all due respect, a man of your reputation must understand that we have a name to match up to. Your Jieun is by far one of the most intelligent minds ever to set foot into this school and we will assure you Miss Kang is a fantastic teacher that will be certain to give your daughter the best education this school has to offer. It is merely a class system without further importance to your daughter's goals. Furthermore, I do not doubt that with your influence, she won't struggle to be accepted into the best medical university Korea or even the world has to offer." Miss Kang had known Jieun since she began teaching at this school, her name even reaching the ears of the high school teachers while she was still in middle school. Top of her year every time even though she remained in the class with the lowest ranking, Song Jieun was indeed famous. She was a sunshine, warm and open, helping and tutoring those from other classes with a higher stand until one day, everything changed for the worse.

Ever since, she turned gradually colder, taking note how all her friends had merely used her for their own benefit and reputation. "I bet it's your father's fault that your mum died." "Yeah. She probably took her life because she was pressured to do so." "I heard in her suicide note she wrote he was abusing her!" "Jieun, I don't think we can hang any longer. I don't want to die."

Miss Kang remembered what happened after that.

"You don't want to die?" Jieun's voice was cold. Only a senior in middle school, the girl was delicate and tiny but the force with which she pushed her male classmate to the floor made the hallway grow quiet. "You really don't want to die?" The young teen repeated, her eyes cold as ice when she bend down to pick him up by the collar, iron grip into his tie, choking him. "Are you sure about that?" Murder in her eyes, she was ready to punch him in the face until Miss Kang rushed to stop the girl, the only one brave enough to stop her. "Jieun.. don't do anything you will regret." That was all it took for her to snap, tears gathering in the young girl's eyes as she let her classmate go and instead clung onto the only teacher she ever held respect for.

"It wasn't suicide! I know it wasn't! She wouldn't have done it. Dad never did anything wrong to her! Why do people say all these bad things about him!" Little to no care given to the scene now that the boy was free and everyone knew it was better to keep their distance to the girl, people quickly ushered away, afraid they'd be next if they uttered a wrong word.

Miss Kang remained composed, ignoring the way nausea was building in from watching these ill-mannered kids walk about their day, her attention focusing on the crying girl in her arms instead. "These stupid investigators were paid. It wasn't suicide! I'm sure of it! If that pathologist had done better research, they'd have found out she was drugged and placed into the car! My father already caught the culprits faster than these stupid police men! I will do better. I will become a pathologist and do my work with care and precision so stuff like that doesn't happen!" Eyes narrowing, the young girl wiped at her eyes, determination lacing her voice that surprised the young teacher. "I will leave this god damn country and start my life over! Y'all just see! I refuse to become as ignorant as people here are! I will actually help bring out the truth behind crimes, no matter how nasty or unlikely it is!"

 


 

A cop and a pathologist. What a lovely match indeed. It was the only thought Miss Kang had while looking at the two stoic teens, lips curling upwards as she caught them stealing glances in what they believed to be a casual manner. She knew it was time to take action and attempt her luck as cupid. "Alright class. Remember, next month we have an upcoming partner project. I want for you to pick teammates by the first of May if possible. This project will mark 50% of your midterm grade so be sure to do good work!"

 

"This is the end of patience."

 


 

A/N: Now that I have their future goals revealed I can admit that I'm loosely leaning those two onto Bones and Booth (credits to those who know the series hehe). A pretty long chapter since I had a lot of explaining to do. I hope it's not rushed or too cluttered with info. >-<