Things

If I lose myself

The first week went by faster than Jieun would have liked. Irritation had been mirroring her features ever since she found herself constantly forgetting to fetch the ipod along and it was starting to bother her that she was contemplating her own curiosity for his playlist to be the reason behind her forgetfulness. She'd give it back when she was done listening, she kept catching herself arguing but that was not something her mind could agree with. Ask him for a track list if you're so interested about his music and go about your day. Her pride could possibly not let her do that though. To show interest in someone else beside the girls truly was uncommon for Jieun. Why was she even so fond of the guy that had so rudely claimed to be her seat neighbour.

Every morning he'd greet her with a smile, trying to string a conversation with her while the rest of the class remained tensed, keeping an ear on their conversation in case something would happen and they'd get to see her beat him up or threaten to slit his throat like she usually did with people trying to sit beside her. Instead she did nothing, simply staring out of the window or solving some tasks before class would begin.

She found herself pacing back and forth before the music player, keeping her gaze on it while debating her options to herself. "Give it back and ask for a playlist." Two strides to the front before she her heel, taking two back into the other direction she was facing then. "Or check his playlist out, copy tracks I like and give it back to him whenever I feel like it." A pang of guilt came with the second option, knowing how important a music player was to a person. Especially with exquisite taste like this, she assumed he was a music lover. Had he thought to have lost it for good? The red seemed so shiny, she doubted he had had the player for long. Curling her fingers around the device she picked it up and furrowed her brows together. It was decided. She'd return it coming Monday!

 


 

 

And Monday came. And the ipod lay on his table, neatly folded into a cloth, ready for him to disclose and claim back into his possession. Jieun herself decided to skip class, but not without letting everyone in the room know she'd have the head of the one who dared to touch the cloth unless it was the owner of this seat. Knowing very well not to mess with Song Jieun, the ipod lay unharmed and untouched on his seat as the male entered the room, a brow furrowing in confusion. He uncovered the cloth and widened his eyes in wonder, a glance casted around the room. For a second he was left in the impression that this Yumi girl had actually brought the Ipod back to him, if not for the initials knitted into the delicate fabric of the handkerchief. 

SJE.

 

Looked at all of the people, places and things I loved

 

 


 

Everything looked so peaceful from up here, Jieun took note of as usual when she decided to escape the air of the classroom, suffocated with brainless rascals poluting it, and found her way up onto the roof to take a breather, studying to herself in silence. Her teachers didn't mind, as long as she didn't skip too often and kept track on the lessons. Wind carding through her hair gently as she took down notes, she didn't realize the approaching figure, even if she hadn't already been listening to music, her headphones plugged into her ears until someone gently took one from her ear, his deft fingertips brushing against the shell, making her gaze up with a slight shiver down her spine. She was ready to snap at whoever had dared to make such a bold move when she came face to face with him instead, a smug grin on his lips when he took note of the piece she had on repeat. "Someone was curious." "A natural human trait." She retorted as she took her headphone back, shutting off her own ipod quickly.

"Shouldn't you be in class?" 

She exhaled a sigh, gaze drifting along the rooftops. The last she needed was anyone butting into her business now. "I could ask you the same." She replied casually, not intending to reveal any bit of information about herself. A low chuckle sounded through the silence between them as his finger rose to form a finger gun. "Touché." His joking comment forced the corners of her lips to curl up slightly, mild amusement reflecting in them. "Hey! I made you smile. This is the second time I see you smile..." He stated, sounding as if he'd won the lottery which made him- really adorable in Jieun's eyes. 

"Congrats for getting the millions?" Came the snarky comeback from the usually quiet female. Having expected an insulted snarl or an irritated reaction, she surely wasn't prepared from the amused and carefree laughter that sounded past his lips, the sound rich with life and passion. "That was a good one. You're really witty." Another shrug accompanied by a short "thanks" for she surely did take it as a compliment.

His hands shuffling into his pockets, he let his gaze travel across the view, taking in the various buildings in the distance as well as the faint spots of water to be seen. "You can even see the River from here?" A hum in confirmation was his reply as she tried to go back to her notes, tapping the pencil along her textbook in thought. The rhythm was similar to the one the piano piece had. Yongguk would recognize it any time. His mother had written it. A smile on his lips, he took a step closer to the preoccupied female, resting careful fingers on her shoulder to get her attention.

Jieun in return jumped, discarding his arm from her shoulder with a quick move, his wrist twisted in her grip and ready to be snapped. The motion made him widen his eyes, especially because he knew it. "You're truly no ordinary girl..." With understanding laced into his voice, she let go quickly, her own gaze back on the notes. "Don't you know who I am?" "Your name is Song Jieun, everyone here seems to be scared and yet enticed by you but you don't bother about pretty much anyone. You helped me when any normal citizen would have made sure to make me drop the bag instead. You apparently know martial arts too..."

He drifted off, letting her know that was pretty much everything he knew about her. "Did your goodie goodie friend Himchan not tell you about my heritage?" His brows furrowed in confusion while she stubbornly kept her gaze away from him, trying hard to focus on the words before her to get him to just leave. "I'm the daughter of Song Dongwan." 

Yongguk knew that name. His vision became unclear as he widened his eyes once more, meeting her gaze as she slowly looked up, her own eyes cold, defeated, lonesome. "Right. And now get lost."

He didn't know why his feet obligated. Perhaps it was the shock that a woman of her format was supposed to be the next in line for one of the gangs that Yongguk had set his target to destroy one day. No matter if he was in class F or A, he held onto his dream and would hold onto his grades. He would make his father proud and follow into the footsteps of the dead male to become the best cop one had ever seen. 

Could a future cop really allow himself to get closer to the daughter of a gang leader?

How cliched stupidly that would be.

 


 

A/N: Next chapter will most likely be some reveal about either Yongguk's or Jieun's past and more about their goals =) Stay tuned for it! Comments are appreciated~