Misconcieved Notion

The Misconceptions Of Us

Anyone who ever came close to knowing them, at one point or the other, has questioned their relationship status. They knew each other since diapers, have been together through the bad and the good, complemented each other perfectly and their friendship seemed to be the most sustainable ever. Passing the test of time, war, and a fall-out that they have had a few years back that would've broken anyone else's friendship, their bond got even stronger. But there were some moments when people doubted that that was all there ever was to it...

They were way too in-sync with each other, they managed to read one another's thoughts too easily, they matched each other far too well for it to be considered just a mere platonic relationship. Even after they both got engaged to be married, the rumour was still flying wild and they were still getting questioning stares from people. Because even if it was a taboo back then, they fit too well with each other for people not to get suspicious. And that thought could not be helped but pass through the minds of the people that got to know them. And Taehyung's fiancee was no exception on that particular night when she had let her thoughts run free and uttered a question that made him draw his head back and laugh amusedly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Not you too! Do I look that effeminate or what is it that makes people ask me that constantly?" Behind his joyous laugh she could sense that he was a little disturbed by the question. Maybe because it was coming from her. His fiancee.

"No! It's just that..." she took a while to find the right words "you two seem just so together that I can almost feel it sometimes. And I was just wondering if you ever saw in Jungkook anything more than a friend..." her quiet voice gave away how much what she had just said drained her and Taehyung hated seeing that sad expression on her beautiful face

"In that case...no, darling, I haven't" he contemplated for a few seconds and then continued "He's my best friend and I love him dearly, but not in the way I love you. And these kind of stuff should not concern you ever again, there is absolutely no need, deal?"

"Yeah...but you guys knew each other since you were little and you have a connection. I can't compete with that" 

"You don't have to. And isn't that a little too cliché?"

"I guess..."

"Actually, if I think about it...we kissed once, you know, to see how we would feel..." His fiancee's eyes widdened as she repeatedly tried but failed to say something 

"Wha-a?"

"And it was-"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Awful, it was awful" Jungkook confessed to his fiancee of one month "And that's when we realised that friends is all we've ever been destined to be. Now please, don't ever ask me stuff like that again because it hurts my pride as a man..." his fiancee relaxed enough to jockingly throw a "Man? Who, you?" and then embarked on a giggling fit as her future husband-to-be started tickling her. "Oh, really? You'll see, you'll see"

And their laughs could be heard from next door where a middle-aged man was getting ready for work and was reminiscing his youth years when his wife was more loving towards him. The times when she wouldn't shy away from giving him beautiful big smiles behind curtains of ebony hair, and when loneliness wasn't such a burden.

"Lucky brats!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the outskirts of town, two men were sitting shoulder to shoulder, on the grass, looking at the sky. They have just told each other about what their fiancees have asked them both a few hours prior.

"Ironic, ain't it?" said Jungkook, not daring to look at his bestfriend.

"Mhm..." they were both too scared to face each other and with that, their own consequences.

"How much longer do you think we can keep this up for?"

"I don't know, but I'm tired..."

Jungkook risked and turned his head slowly towards his own personal lifeline. "I love you." and he has had the scars for all of his life to prove it.

The three word sentence made Taehyung stare into the distance with saddened eyes. "Yeah, me too." his lips fomed a forced smile and looked Jungkook dead in the eye. "But does it matter?"

"No. No, I guess it doesn't..."

"We've set the date" Jungkook looked at him questioningly and Taehyung added "For the wedding. It's this summer..."

Jungkook's eyes lost even the last bit of glimmer that they still held seconds ago "Oh...Congratulations" his words tasted bitter on his lips and sounded even more bitter to his ears, but the older didn't mind. He was used to it. He has had to get used to it. "After all this time, this still feels so surreal."

"Yeah... Will you be my best man?"

"I-Yes. Always!"

"Always...that's a pretty long time..." 

"You'll have to deal with it."

"Hmm...I'll try..." And a small smile found it's way to Taehyung's lips. At least they still had each other. And after all, they were still a ed up clichè. But what is a cliché if not a constant reminder of the reality of it all?

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm sorry that it doesn't really have a happy ending but I was feeling a little angsty. I'm not really happy with how it turned out but for me is pretty important that I posted something that has an actual ending, even though is short. Oh well, I hope you still enjoy it! Thanks for reading, you guys. And for the ones that comment, it means a lot, you have no idea...