iii.

The Window Seat

Still dressed in their school uniform, Jongin takes Soojung to the place she dreads to go, Namsan Tower. "Ta-dah!" he exclaims proudly for being the first guy who brought her there. Soojung's pair of lips curls up a smile and Jongin teases, "Wow, I didn't know you had teeth." Soojung lightly punches his forearm, her voice shrinking as she says, "Shut up!"

The latter emits a small laugh, holding her hand, he pulls her along with him as he says, "Come on, let's celebrate that 17 years worth of birthdays - my treat, okay?" clicking the elevator button with his free hand. She looks at him and nods, for some reason, even just by his presence, Soojung knows that the celebration is already worth it.

Looking through different designs of padlocks, Jongin asks, "Which one's your favorite? I think I like this one most," picking a lock shaped like a chicken. Soojung furrows her brows before shaking her head at the latter, he asks, "What? No? Okay, let's find something else then." Soojung's eyes brows through various designs of padlocks and finds one that catches her eye, a lock designed with the shape of a boom box.

He nudges her and says, "That one?" pointing to the lock, without a word, she nods her head. Jongin laughs as he takes it and ruffles her hair, "You really don't talk much, huh? But it's cute," walking away from her to the cashier to pay for the locks. Soojung follows him like a lost puppy, tagging behind him timidly. The cashier compliments, "Your girl friend's really pretty and shy too," chuckling at the end of her sentence.

Jongin fishes out his wallet, taking a glance at Soojung who has her cheeks flushed in embarassment. Escaping a throaty chuckle, Jongin looks back at the cashier and says, "She's not my girl friend though, well, not yet but on her behalf, thanks for the compliment," flashing a small smile before bowing and taking Soojung up the rooftop with their respective locks.

Soojung looks at the vast sky, it's already dark, the stars paint the sky with little light and she reckons her parents are bickering about something stupid again if she was home. Jongin looks at her, silently pulling out his phone and he takes a picture of her side profile, which he thinks looks absolutely beautiful. Clearing his throat to snap her out of her train of thoughts, Jongin then asks, "Where do you plan to lock it? Let's lock it side by side, yeah?" She nods her head and says, "Can I have the marker first?" as she holds out her hand.

Jongin smiles as he passes it to her and takes another marker, writing his message on his lock. He puts back the cap and peeks on Soojung, asking, "Are you done?" She nods and gives it to Jongin, the latter entertwines the two locks and finally clicks it close with every other padlocks on the rooftop. Soojung reads his message, Brains can't die.

She looks at him with a raised brow and asks, "What's that supposed to mean? Brains can't die?" The opposite gender shrugs his shoulders nonchalantly, "I don't know too, it just came up in my head," a toothy grin ghosting over his lips. She replies, "Words you think don't usually pop up randomly unless you were in deep thought of it. What were you thinking?" shaking her head in between. Jongin says, "Probably something stupid, like zombies," eliciting a small dry laugh.

The lassie shakes her head, never understanding his ways of thinking nonetheless, she still pays attention to whatever he has to say, it always end up fascinating her. Jongin waves his hand, asking, "Now, no more talking bout brains or zombies - let's talk about food and stomach. What do you feel like eating, Soojung-ah?" Shrugging her shoulders, Soojung answers, "Your pick, I mean, I don't know any eateries here - I've barely left town and this is my first time in the city."

He flashes a grin, intertwining their hands together, he says, "Well, consider yourself the luckiest girl because there's this really good Italian restaurant just a block away. You don't mind walking, right?" She nods her head, Jongin continues, "Great, now, let's go!" dragging her down the stairs and soon, on the elevator, back to the ground.

The both of them start walking, Jongin then starts his game of 50 questions, pulling every strings of Soojung every now and then. He asks, "When did you have your first kiss?" Soojung blinks, "Uh, eighth grade?" Jongin looks at her and says, "Oh, good," pecking a kiss on her lips, surprising Soojung as her eyes bulge out of their sockets. Jongin backs away and laughs, "I stole your first kiss, nice try at lying."

Soojung gulps down her saliva, it feels weird for her but at the same time, it feels so right. His lips are dry but somewhat tasted of peaches, and Soojung liked peaches. Jongin then wipes her lips with his sleeve, "Sorry bout that though, I didn't mean to steal your first kiss and make it unmemorable at all." Soojung pushes his hand away from her lips, "You'll stain your shirt," she states, "I have lip gloss on my lips."

Jongin looks at his sleeve and sees a light shade of pink, he chuckles softly and says, "That's fine, it'll wash off - just like how I kissed your lips." Soojung shakes her head, "Where's that Italian restaurant? I think we've been walking in circles," asking out of curiousity and slight nervousness. The latter rubs his nape, a crooked grin on his lips, answering, "Actually, I forgot - sorry, maybe just ddokbokki for tonight?" eyeing the ddokbokki stall across the road.

She chuckles and says, "Well, anything's fine as long as I get fed, Jongin." The both of them look for cars and carefully crosses the road, taking a seat at the stall. Jongin clears his throat, coughing lightly, he jokes, "Wow, what a marathon, huh?" Soojung laughs, "You just don't exercise, Jongin." He looks up at her, astonished, only to be returned with a confused look on her face, he proudly states, "You said my name, for the first time and that's an achievement, at least for me."

Soojung tilts her head to the left, curiousity building in her, she asks, "Why? Why do you care if I called your name or agreed to everything you say?" Jongin flashes a smile and answers, "Because at least then you know, somebody cares about you just like you care about them and it's stupid, but I don't want anyone else to care about me than you."